From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2006 8:18 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1142 517TH PRCT- JUNE 26, 2006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I have to send Mail Call out in two batches until I find a better solution because of the size of my address book (345) and problem with AOL

  Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

     As of June26th           517th Portland Reunion  July 17-21, 2006

               0
             Days left to close of Hotel Registration
                              Prices for the 517th Registration of  $ 88 or $ 99 daily  rate cannot be guaranteed after June 26

               27
               Days until Reunion D-Day - July 17th

                              Please submit your choice of the various events at the earlies date as we must make plans for number of participants

Gene Frice, President and the valiant Portland Planning Committee
Don Saunders

Ben;
I still can't believe that we will not be able to go to Portland this year. Jan and I made reservations to go on flight to Rotterdam to board a ship and go to Le Harve and visit Normandy and Omaha Beach. Then on for a stop in England, two stops in Ireland, one stop at the Faroe Island. Then we sail across the No. Atlantic with stops at Greenland, Iceland and Newfoundland. Then on to Boston to board our bus for home. It is a 20 day trip with 18 days on the ship and one day travel each way.
Had we known we were going to change to yearly reunions we may have been able to make some changes, but it was too late.
I haven't missed a reunion since I found they were being held in 1979.  I guess that's Life.
Bob Dalrymple

Ben, My after action- report should be signed by me as follows : Robert W Dalrymple, Captain, CE, Commanding.

Morris McDowell

Hey Mr. Ben,
I am going to Paris Texas for a family reunion, & would like to visit Jesus Carillo, who lives near Dallas. If you could give me his Son's e-mail address I may be able to set up a visit with them. I talked to Fred Harmon a couple of weeks ago, & he is doing fair, but his eyes are bothering him a great deal. He said he would not be able to attend the Portland reunion. Thanks very much, Morris McDowell

Forwarded by Gene Frice

 Subject: IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND...

> >> A mother asked President Bush,
> >> "Why did my son have to die in Iraq?"
> >>
> >> Another mother asked President Kennedy,
> >> "Why did my son have to die in Viet Nam?"
> >>
> >> Another mother asked President Truman,
> >> "Why did my son have to die in Korea?
> >>
> >> Another mother asked President F.D. Roosevelt,
> >> "Why did my son have to die at Iwo Jima?"
> >>
> >> Another mother asked President W. Wilson,
> >> "Why did my son have to die on the battlefield of France?"
> >>
> >> Yet another mother asked President Lincoln,
> >> "Why did my son have to die at Gettysburg?"
> >>
> >> And yet another mother asked President George Washington,
> >> "Why did my son have to die near Valley Forge?"
> >>
> >> Then long, long ago, a mother asked...
> >> "Heavenly Father, why did my Son have to die on a cross outside of
> > Jerusalem?"
> >>
> >> The answers to all these are similar --
> >> "So that others may have life and dwell in peace, happiness and
freedom."

> >> This was emailed to me with no author and I thought the magnitude and
the
> > simplicity were awesome ...
> >>
> >> IF YOU DON'T STAND
> >> BEHIND OUR TROOPS,
> >> PLEASE, FEEL FREE...
> >> TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!

Tom Larson

I just had a pleasant conversation with President Gene Frice.  He suggested I contact you.  My grandfather was Gerald Wesley Larson.  He served in the 517th Airborne, company C.  He was a Pvt. 3 months, Pfc. 10 months, Sgt. 14 months.  He was wounded in battle on two separate occasions.  He was commissioned through Ft. McCoy Wisconsin and called Brainerd Mn. home.

He was the manager of the VFW Club in Brainerd, MN later in his civilian life.  He was an avid outdoorsman hunting and fishing and enjoying the great outdoors.  We had many great years together.  He passed from lung cancer about 10 years ago.

During his years growing up grandpa didn't speak about the war.  My father and my uncle have some info but really not much.  It is my goal to do a thorough history and recollection of his service and where that took him.  I am intrigued by the information on your website and very impressed by its completeness.  I would be happy to share what info I have for your use if I could rely on you for more information as well.

Gene mentioned there is a roll call that was recently found which documents many details of the divisions during the war.  Can you recommend any good books that follow the company during WW2.  Historical or recreational reading both.  Please keep me informed via email as to this info.  I would like to visit with some members of Company C to see if they remember him and where their missions took them.  I would really like to come out for the annual convention but doubt that I can make that trip work.

Thank you for your service.

Tom Larson
G.M.
Best Western & Bigwood Event Center, Fergus Falls Minnesota
800-293-2216
www.bestwestern.com/thefallsinnandsuites