From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 7:54 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1146 517TH PRCT JULY 4, 3006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello

  Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006
Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

Matthews Meyer

Hi Ben, thanks for keeping the mail call alive!

After reading mail calls 1144 and 1145, I have to admit they leave me
feeling pretty ashamed of myself.  I'm sure there are many more people like me reading the mail calls: I'm the relative of a now-deceased 517th member and I keep the memory alive by reading the mail calls as they come in.  I admit I don't pay much attention to the details of the organization as it exists today; I mainly enjoy the recollections and updates on how folks are doing.  I don't check the website much, as I just like to keep up with things as they pop up in the mail call.

But 1144 and 1145 were a big wake-up call for me: This could be gone someday, and soon!  I don't have as much time or money as I would like for devoting to the 517th - I'm an over-the-road truck driver, deeply in debt, and am starting a new family with #2 due in September.  But what can I and others like me do in our own little way to help with the transition?

EVERYTHING I know about my grandfather's service in WWII is due to this organization and this mail call.  I can't stress that enough.  My grandfather died when I was 3, and he never told his wife or children about his service.  I am grateful to Maj. Boyle for his kind recollections of my grandfather, Julius Talrico, and my grandfather's cousin, George Talarico, both of 1st Bat. HQ Co., HW Platoon.  I can't thank all of the 517th enough for their contributions to this site.  I think it's also important that we descendants of the 517th recognize how very, very difficult it is for them to recount their efforts and activities.  We need to accept that there are many things, very many things, that will never be told due to the pain and fear attached to those memories.  It is therefore so important that we are that much more grateful for what has been told, and that we hold no grudge or question for that which is not recounted.  There are some things that must die with old soldiers, and Godspeed that those sufferings end.  It is a crime and a sin to judge a man for what is required of him in time of war.  They will always be great men.  Period.  Please understand that I make no insinuation of misdeeds, but rather feel that the horror and internal
struggles left on a soul in combat leave great questions with that person which are best left unmentioned among those who were not there.

So those of you who can answer, please do: How do you wish to be remembered, and what can those of us with little time or money to spare do to help?

Greatest respects,

Matthew Myers

Betty White

The average age of the military man is 19 years

Bob Dalrymple

Ben, Good for Claire and Kaare.  And they can do it well. DC would be fine with me for 2007. I haven't been there since our A/B Fiftieth . Bob

Boom Boom Alicki
Subject: Reveille

I believe you'll enjoy this short film.  It's worth your time.  Speakers up a notch.
Maximize video to fit full screen....
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2487638612433437293&q=Veterans

Entry of Jul 02, 2006 at 01:49 [EST]
Name: Alex Fulle
Unit: None
EMail:
rattrap87@yahoo.com
How I found the 517th page: From a search engine
Comments: Its great to see such dedication to an often forgotten, but fearsome group of men. We will never forget what you did.

Alex Fulle

Ben,
I've been researching about the 517th for some months
now, and I am also part of the Liberty Jump Team which
just made the Jumps for the 62nd Anniversary in
Carentan and Amfreville, and we are contemplating a
jump in southern France next year.  I don't know if you
have talked to Corey Mace, but he has been in contact
with some of the 517th Association about the jump.  I
am just so enamored with what these men did!
Talk to you soon.
-Alex Fulle

Bob Dalrymple

  Subject:  Catholic gasoline

Sister Mary, who worked for a home health agency, was out making her rounds visiting homebound patients when she ran out of gas.  As luck would have it, a gas station was just a block away.

She walked to the station to borrow a gas can and buy some gas.  The attendant told her that the only gas can he owned had been loaned out,  but she could wait until it was returned. Since the nun was on the way to see a patient, she decided not to wait
and walked back to her car.  She looked for something in her car that she could fill with gas and spotted the bedpan she was taking to the patient.  Always resourceful, she carried the bedpan to the station, filled it with gas, and carefully carried the full bedpan back to her car.

As she was pouring the gas into her tank, two men watched from across the street.  One of the them turned to the other and said, "If it starts, I'm turning Catholic."