From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2006 7:57 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1149 517TH PRCT- JULY 08, 2006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello

Jolene Devaney and her husband Mark paid me a visit today. Jolene is the niece of Patrick Michaels 596. She had an entry in our guestbook about one year ago.  - Entry of Jun 16, 2005 at 20:26 -  The result is in this Mail Call.

  Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006
Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben,  I was able to give Jean-Loup my version of the 15 Aug. jump and the attacks from les Arcs to Sospel by phone this morning.  It occurred to me that you might find people interested and knowledgeable through Mail Call and at the reunion.  He is a busy medical student dedicating his vacation to this oral history project which will record personal accounts of the operation indelibly in history.  Athey and others who do not get Mail Call may be interested.  He set up the telephone call by calling a day ahead of time, so all he needs are the phone numbers of those willing and capable of adding their account.   He has special interest in the St. Cezaire attack.
My best,  Howard H.

Claire Giblin

Hi, Ben -

Jean-Loup Gassend makes a good point, and is obviously correct.  Collectors with a respect for WWII memorabilia are not monsters.  However, I would rather see these items passing to collectors directly at the trooper's choice, rather than winding up on ebay and in garage sales (because relatives don't know what they have inherited).  While collectors may pray to find these items at garage sales (and they certainly will continue to do so, regardless of my feelings on the subject), it is my hope that troopers will entrust these items to interested and caring individuals.  These might be collectors, museums, or they might be family members.

Your history should be honored, and if you have items, you should see to it that they are given to people who appreciate and respect that history.  That person may be a family member, a museum founder, or a collector.  I certainly do not mean to offend the many loving caretakers of the unit's history.  We have met many re-enactors in France who feel it is their duty to educate the next generations, as well as to absorb the history while they can, from those who made it.

My father (Allan Johnson, 596) makes a good point: the individual collector may or may not provide a service and education to everyone.  Museums will.   Sadly, there does not seem to be a museum stateside that is especially interested (or if there is, we've been unable to locate it as yet).

M. Gassend offers to help record your unit history, and seems interested in your contributions.  Perhaps more troopers will take him up on his offer to speak with him; I hope he'll join us in Le Muy this summer.  We look forward to meeting him.

Claire Giblin

daughter Allan Johnson, 596

Chris Lindner

Hi Ben:

I just wanted to tell everyone to have a good time at the reunion.  Rick and I have finally moved into our new home and I have been without a computer for about a month. Actually I have been so busy I would not have been able to use the computer anyway and besides I finally got a new computer and I do not have a clue as to what I am doing with it at this point!!

I have read all of the past "Mail Calls" and I must say they were very interesting.  A lot of information has been provided by Tom and Wayne Cross.

Our daughter is getting married on July 15, 06 and that is why I will not be at the reunion.

Again I hope all of you going to the Portland reunion have a great time

Chris Lindner

LOOKING FOR PFC. GEORGE W. CAVNAR 1943 /1945 WAS A SOLDIER OF THE 517 TH DURING WWII IN GERMANY.  EMAIL ME ANY THING YOU CAN FIND ABOUT HIM! HE LIVES IN AKRON OHIO NEAR HIS DAUGHTER.

Bob Dickson

Hi Ben,  I noticed a mail call entry by Ray Estrella concerning info on a A- Company soldier.  My father was in A- Co and I would like to communicate with Ray about my Dad, Jack Dickson.  Would you either forward my email to him or send me his email address.  Thanks  Bob Dickson