From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, July 09, 2006 9:22 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1150 517TH PRCT-JULY 9, 2006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello

  Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006
Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

Contents  WebSite

517th Unit Overview and Short History

517 PRCT Association

517th History and Archives: Training and WWII Histories, Books, Stories, Documents
Training and WWII Photos

Meet the Troopers

517th Mail Call

Guestbook Sign in now: Make an entry

Soldier Stories in the News or on the Internet

Friendlies - Links to other related sites

Reunion Info and Photos

How to find information about a 517th soldier

517th Logos, Patches, Shirts, and Insignia

Howard and Jan Hensleigh

Dear Ben:

Many of us recognized that we had a number of younger 517th enthusiasts, a website and Mail Call, that might outlive us to keep alive the memory of the combat team and those who paid the price for its WWII accomplishments.  That is why we adopted a new set of bylaws that establish the Auxiliary as a framework for our young people to carry on, and provide that any funds left at dissolution, if there ever is one, are to be used to continue the website and Mail Call.  The bylaws mention the Barretts by name.  With Ben at the helm and his kids doing a good job of keeping up with that old trooper, we have Mail Call and the website in good hands and our younger members have an organizational set up that will allow them to participate as long as their interest, enthusiasm and energy permits.  My idea was to set things up, run our lap, pass the baton, step back and let the ones who pick it up to do their thing.  From my vantage point that is what is happening.  Winston Churchill once said that he was not elected as prime minister of the Empire to preside over its dissolution.  You guys had a lot of guts to elect an old beat up trooper in a wheel chair as your president and I was quite sure you did not elect me to preside over dissolution of the Association.

We congratulate those who have organized another great 517th reunion at Portland.  Jan and I regret that we will not be able to visit that part of the country for the first time and to participate in all the interesting activities planned for your enjoyment.

At some point in the future, the membership of the Auxiliary should be merged with the Association membership.  It sounds like you have some joint meetings planned and that is the first step.

We whish all of you a great time in the Portland area and our thanks for those who will carry the 517th flag into the future.

God bless all of you  and God bless America,  Howard and Jan Hensleigh

Jean-Loup Gassend

Dear Ben and all

I would like to thank Claire Giblin and Howard
Hensleigh for the kind feedback they gave about me in
the last mail call, and would like to remind anybody
interested in participating in helping me with making
an oral history about the Southern France campaign can
simply send me their phone number at this email
address: jean-loup@gassend.com

As Ms Giblin said, I am a medical student, and am
thus very busy during the school year, and far from
home. I will be going to work in a hospital abroad as
of July 25th, and then will not be able to conduct any
more interviews until next summer, so anybody
interested in participating should do it as soon as
possible. As stated above, I will not be in France
during the august celebrations, so will unfortunately
not be able to meet any of you there.

One last word for Claire Giblin concerning museums
versus private collectors. What your father said
concerning the fact that museums will always make an
effort to inform the public is true. But museums also
have their disadvantages. Typically, 90% of the items
are in storage, and too often, items are sold or
"stolen" by staff, legally or illegally. This does not
apply to the Museum in Le Muy of course, that is very
small, and manned by highly motivated and honest
people. But in big national museums, this is a real
problem.  In my village, there is a museum where any
item given will have its history lost: the curator has
no list or database with stories of the items, and
most items are unlabeled. Worse, things are badly
stored and are damaged by sunlight, and visitors who
steal things, rip off insignias, write things on
precious items, etc, etc. The museum is a total
disgrace, and completely disrespects the trust that
people have when they give an item.
This is just a remark, and does not concern the
museum in Le Muy. I am just trying to say that caution
should be used, even with museums. The behind the
scenes aren't always nice to see, and careful thought
should be taken before things are given away.

Jean-Loup Gassend

Tom McAvoy

About George W. Cavner of the 517??  I knew him very well in Boot camp?
in  Toccoa Ga.? he was attached to Demo Plt. Last I saw him was about  15
years ago at one of our reunions  in fact he and his wife set at our
table, George is a tall lanky fellow, Hell of a  nice guy..??  He had a
Hardware store in Calif. I am thinking near  L.A. Hope we are speaking of
the same guy??  Tom McAvoy

Mike Spano

BEN....PLEASE  STOP MY EMAIL  FOR AWHILE. I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I AM ABLE TO GO BACK ON LINE.   THANKS.    MIKE SPANO
Bob Dalrymple

Subject: Fwd: sharpen you mental skills

The following short quiz consists of 4 questions and will tell you
whether you are qualified to be a professional. Scroll down for each answer.
The questions are not that difficult. But don't scroll down until you
have answered the question!

> 1. How do you put a giraffe into a refrigerator?

  The correct answer is: Open the refrigerator, put in the giraffe,
and close the door. This question tests whether you tend to do simple things in  an overly complicated way.

> 2. How do you put an elephant into a refrigerator?

  Did you say, Open the refrigerator, put in the elephant, and close
the refrigerator?

> Wrong Answer.

  Correct Answer: Open the refrigerator, take out the giraffe, put in
the elephant and close the door. This tests your ability to think
through  the repercussions of your previous actions.

 3. The Lion King is hosting an animal conference. All the animals
attend.. except one. Which animal does not attend?

 Correct Answer: The Elephant. The elephant is in the refrigerator.
You  just put him in there. This tests your memory. Okay, even if you did not answer the first three questions correctly, you still have one more chance to  show your true abilities.

  4. There is a river you must cross but it is used by crocodiles, and
> you do not have a boat. How do you manage it?

 Correct Answer: You jump into the river and swim across. Have you
not  been listening? All the crocodiles are attending the Animal Meeting. This tests whether you learn quickly from your mistakes.

 According to Anderson Consulting Worldwide, around 90% of the >
professionals tested got all questions wrong, but many preschoolers got several correct answers. Anderson Consulting says this conclusively disproves  the theory that most professionals have the brains of a four-year-old. Send this out to frustrate all of your smart friends.

 PS: Just the fact that I sent it to you should make you feel good.