From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 7:04 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1157 517TH PRCT- JULY 26, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello

Have more mail to catch up on. I will be away starting August.1 for about fifteen days. I will be able to receive mail but not sure if I can send Mail Call out on an other computer because of large address book.

Gene Frice

Operation ReUnion, Portland, Oregon 21-25 July 2006

The Portland Reunion 2006, is now history.

     All but two events came about as scheduled, were well attended, and were enjoyed by all. Two events, the parachute arrival by the US Army Rangers was canceled by their command (weather, FAA, funds?) The 517th 2006 Olympic Games, Day in the Park (sack race, baseball and guerrilla training) was canceled due to most unusual 100 + degree weather. The day in the park was delightful in spite of adversity and the Rangers arrived for dinner.

     The Paddle Wheel trip up the Columbia and the visit to Howard Hugh’s Spruce Goose and the W.W.II museum was an interesting visit to years past.

     The highlight of the week was the White Water Rafting and combat in the water. The water was swift and the rapids gentle. The battles fought by the Pirates Team and other water rats concluded with no winners even after several hours of battle. The rafters fought each other, strangers, and innocent victims without concern. The age groups were approximately 12 to 80+. It speaks well of intestinal fortitude of the rafters. No injuries; several overboard members and everyone was quite “wet.” Cool river water and 100 degree air temperatures and absolutely beautiful mountain scenery.

     The week found us with excellent lodging, food, and companionship, although it was a long walk between elevators.

     By the way-the entire week and all the venues was video taped by newly recruited auxiliary Don Adamski (great views of the River Rafting). He will make the disk available for approximately $ 4.00 (including mailing). Daughter Karen (Frice) Wallace will publish details in e-mail.

     When you have the opportunity to speak with the various staff members that worked on Portland 2006; I would ask you to express your appreciation for their gallant efforts and hard work. One trooper (me) stood around and watched. Auxiliary members, Jeanne Davis, Gary Davis, Jr., and all the members of the Davis, Gilbert, and Frice clans worked for the six short months from the Savannah reunion to accomplish an excellent Portland 2006.

     We now look forward to Reunion 2007, which is currently planned for June 2007 in Washington, DC.
Be there
. We now need to look at Vice President Tom Cross’s sage recommendations as to the future of the 517th and the necessary steps that must be taken.

     I will have a few unpleasant words to say, at a later date, concerning our failure to develop a corporate history in formulating a generic plan for our reunions -- such a plan would have helped us greatly for Portland. We observed closely several almost fatal economic traps. Such a plan is necessary regardless who is to conduct the planning for the future. We have not had a plan in the past and do not presently have one for the future. After 25 or 26 reunions ?? Seems like I made several (four) requests for information relating to the above.

     PFC Gene Frice
     Your humble President
Scott Atkinson

Ben,

Just wanted to share my experiences in visiting Southern France.  My goal there was to better understand the area where the 517th was in action.  My Grandson and I first visited with Robert Cohen in Nice where he graciously escorted us around the area to include Monte Carlo.

The next day Robert went with us to visit the Le Muy Museum.  I very much appreciated them opening the museum for our visit as I was to understand that this day was not on their regular schedule.  Afterwards, we then drove east on the general route of the 517th and eventually back to Nice.

The next day, we followed Robert in our rent car to Sospel where we first met Roland.  He treated us to a nice lunch; afterwards Robert needed to return to Nice.  Roland then showed us the town including the monument to the 517th on the bridge where Company F crossed when liberating Sospel.  We then followed him to his house where he produced his "517th Jeep" and took us up the mountain to view the Maginot Line Bunkers.  What a sight.  From up there we could clearly see Italy.  Next he drove us to the house where 5-6 men of the 517th were killed.  There was no doubt that it was the same building but now rebuilt and expanded.  [My uncle Erwin W. Scott Jr. was in that house when it blew.  Fortunately he only received minor scratches.]

We next returned to his house where Patricia then joined us.  We proceeded on to our hotel where they graciously treated us to a fine French meal. We had to leave the next day for our continued trip to Normandy and see the D-Day Beaches.

All in all, the time we spent in Southern France was the highlight of our Mediterranean Europe trip of 30 days.  I have included some pictures which I hope will encourage other family members to make this trip.  They should be viewed in order of their file name, numbers then letters-numbers to match the flow of the text in this email.

I am really sad that I could not make the reunion due to a health issue, especially since Jeanne Davis went above and beyond the call of duty to get me registered late.  Thanks so much Jeanne.

Scott Atkinson
Nephew to Erwin W. Scott Jr, Company D

P.S. If you can provide me with an address, I will send you a copy of my uncle's transcribed oral history.
                                                         ****************
We will soon have photos on the web site. Ben
Darrell Egner

Tom

Thanks for your E-mail and thoughts on the future of the 517.  I just returned from a months trip and did not attend the Portland Reunion due to a prior commitment in San Antonio.  I assume we will be getting a report on the Reunion shortly.  I certainly agree with you that the 517 Association has been dormant this past year.  After all the effort that Howard put in to form the Auxiliary I don't see anything happening.  Frankly I had great hopes that it would carry on after all of us are gone.  I still have hopes!

Darrell Egner

Edith Miller

WONDERFUL!!!  I am so glad Oregon came to the party -- wish that I could have been there -- with Joe!!- - Edith Miller

Walt Smith

Ben, Nothing new from this 'stay at home' member of your illustrious group of warriors except my high regard for all of you and other members working so loyally for the continuity of 517th.  I have noted so many others who have the same regard and appreciation.  I hope to be more prepared to attend the next get together.  Bob, your web-master son, while not always in the forefront is a 'not unsung' hero in his own right and we all appreciate him as well.   Nothing in my info to add for Mail Call .  Just welcoming you back.  Walt Smith Hq 1st

Bob Christie

Ben, I received a letter from Vera Holdeman, widow of Lacy R. Holdeman notifying us of his death. She said he was in the 541st Co. F  I have him listed in our roster, but with no unit indicated. Can anyone help me? Bob

Jim Royer

Ben,  Thanks for your information concerning the 2007 reunion to be held
in Washington D.C in June.  I will offer whatever support needed and,
good Lord willing, we will plan to be there.
                                                       Jim

Dan Smith

    MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR THIS SATURDAY.

    AS YOU MAY ALREADY KNOW, IT IS A SIN FOR A TALIBAN MALE TO SEE ANY WOMAN OTHER THAN HIS WIFE NAKED, AND THAT HE MUST COMMIT SUICIDE IF HE DOES.    SO THIS SATURDAY AT 4 P.M. EASTERN TIME ALL AMERICAN WOMEN ARE ASKED TO WALK OUT OF THEIR HOUSE COMPLETELY NAKED TO HELP WEED OUT ANY NEIGHBORHOOD TERRORISTS. CIRCLING YOUR BLOCK FOR ONE HOUR IS RECOMMENDED.
   FOR THIS ANTI -TERRORIST EFFORT, ALL MEN ARE TO POSITION THEMSELVES IN LAWN CHAIRS IN FRONT OF THEIR HOUSE TO PROVE THEY ARE NOT TALIBAN, AND TO DEMONSTRATE THEY THINK IT'S OKAY TO SEE NUDE WOMEN OTHER THAN THEIR WIFE AND TO SHOW SUPPORT FOR ALL AMERICAN WOMEN.
   SINCE THE TALIBAN ALSO DOES NOT APPROVE OF ALCOHOL, A COLD 6-PACK AT YOUR SIDE IS FURTHER PROOF OF YOUR ANTI-TALIBAN SENTIMENT.  THE AMERICAN GOVERNMENT APPRECIATES YOUR EFFORTS TO ROOT OUT TERRORISTS AND APPLAUDS YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THIS ANTI-TERRORIST
ACTIVITY.

    GOD BLESS AMERICA.