From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, July 29, 2006 8:42 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1159 517TH PRCT- JULY 29, 2006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Monday July 31 will be last Mail Call until August 17 or 18 .Send mail.  I will be able to receive  and answer individual mail. I will be on another computer and will send Mail Call if possible. My address book  has 350 names and I had trouble trying to send it on another computer the last time I was away from my own computer

Jeanne Davis
 Hi Ben,

I'd just like to let everyone know (though you, Ben) how much our families (the Frice's and the Davis's) enjoyed hosting you all at the Portland Reunion.  We all thought our efforts were well worth it.  Everyone was so appreciative. My son Gary Jr. did a stand out job in arranging the Spruce Goose, the Stern-wheeler, the Day in the Park and the Portland City Tour. This was a huge task.......... a labor of love,  according to him. I personally was so impressed with the Day in the Park.  Those rangers coming in on that helicopter, was AWESOME.  And I don't mean that in the present day slang.  I mean.......would you hate to be the enemy and have that thing coming at you!!!  WOW!!!   Gary, thank you thank you.

The River Raft trip was totally arranged by Karen (Frice) Wallace.  She and all of the Frice's have been river rafters for decades. And what an opportunity to draw in the younger people, however we had several of the next generation up, join the trip. They had a blast!!  All of them.

The other family members that were not involved in preliminaries, did a wonderful job of keeping the hospitality room stocked and going, being gophers and in general, supreme helpers. Laurie Frice Lowry, Natalie Frice, Chris Davis Phillips, and Melanie Davis Hanson (who also made all the center pieces on the tables) and Raelyn Davis.  And tons of grandchildren and great grand children.  We couldn't have done this without all of our families pitching in and being so willing to make sure the troopers and their families and friends had a good time. For that,  I thank each and every one....and all.

We ended up with about 163 attending the farewell dinner.  The number kind of got away from me so maybe a little higher......but with guests, the honor guard and "Mad" Mel our entertainer.......who had a real good time entertaining us..........we came in at about that number.

We had a total of 155 attend the reunion.  44 were troopers, 22 spouses, 53 children of troopers, 17 grandchildren of troopers and 2 great grandchildren of troopers. And 17 friends of  troopers and the 517th.

We are glad and sad to have it over.  And we are all really looking forward to Washington DC.

Our good friends from France and the museum, traveled with us to Bend to further our visit with the Frice's, and then continued on with us to Spokane.  They are a pleasure and so dedicated to the memory and the continuance of the 517th.  We are all so very lucky to have them. And we thank them with all our hearts for the continued efforts to make sure that the French people don't forget.  In them doing what they do, reminds us to do the same.

Again, thanks to all who helped and participated...........didn't we have fun?

Best regards,

Jeanne Davis

 Hal Roberts

Just a note to say we enjoyed the reunion very much.  Lots of
entertainment scheduled and generally good visits all
around.  Looking forward to another in June in Washington, D.C.  Also
to those on whose shoulder I cried because I lost my WINGS thanks for
your sympathy and support and I want to let you know I FOUND them.
I am still miffed about the fact that so many of you have not lost
your hair.  It is not fair!!  And another thing...I was surprised to
hear from so many of you that you had won the war, when I thought I had!!!
Hal  Roberts

Don't worry Hal, it's what is  underneath the hair that matters. However, hair is nice - Ben

Entry of Jul 27, 2006 at 10:12 [EST]
Name: Anne Eckert Valliere
Unit: My Uncle Carroll Eckert - Company G
EMail: alvalliere@msn.com
How I found the 517th page: From a search engine
Comments: Looking for anyone who served with my Uncle Carroll Eckert - I believe he was one of 26 or 28 men in the "Shock Troop" - a paratrooper 517th G Company. I believe he parachuted into Southern France on August 15th and was wounded in battle on September 9th.
Richard Wheeler

 More later