From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 2:20 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO 1161 517th PRCT- AUGUST 17, 2006
Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I am catching up on Mail Call after being away for a few weeks. It will take several Mail Calls complete the task.

I will have more to say about Wade Gilbert's generous gift to the Combat Team later, but it behooves the Auxiliary, the Treasure and the Thunderbolt editor to start acting on it..

We have many more relatives and friends who are anxious to help and want to be auxiliary members.

Wade Gilbert

Gene and Ben,

Thank you so much for another great 517 PRCT reunion.  We all had a tremendous time and look forward to the next one in Washington D.C.

I would like to help any way I can and would like to propose our company take out a 1 page ad in the Thunderbolt.   I would like to offer $1,000 per ad with the understanding that 1/3 will go to keeping the Thunderbolt profitable, 1/3 going to the Auxiliary, and 1/3 going to the general fund for the 517.

If this is acceptable, I will prepare a black and white 1 page ad for the inside cover and email it to the appropriate party.

All I need is some type of invoice for marketing from the 517 for $1000 each time the Thunderbolt is mailed out.

I would also like to recommend 1 page be dedicated to  a “change of address” or some type of address verification each person has to do each year to keep receiving the Thunderbolt.  I have a feeling a lot of these issues are going to and old or wrong address.  If everyone is required to phone, fax, or email an address verification this will cut down on the number of wrong mailings the Thunderbolt does each year.

I would also like to see the Thunderbolt solicit more ads from other people  / companies who want to support the 517. Maybe dedicate 1 page and say “Your ad could be here.  For more information on advertising in the 517 Thunderbolt please contact XXXXX at XXXXX.

And Ben if it’s OK with you maybe we can get a link to our web site on the 517th web site.

Please let me know you’re thoughts and thank you all once again for everything you’ve done for our country and the world.

Best regards,

Wade Gilbert

www.iavi.com

Bob Dalrymple

Dear Hardworking and Dedicated friends. All those many, many details that you had to contend with paid off in Spades! What a fine  show it was, too. I , for one, had a great time, thanks to you and the many who attended . You arranged some outstanding attractions, many of which were new to most of us . I had to pace myself so didn't take on more that I could  handle . As a consequence , I was able to spend more time in our Hospitality Room . That was most enjoyable . I think we were very keen on getting our work done, which we did in our business meeting. So we will go to DC next June or July, or whatever works out . I believe we were wise to select that  professional group to manage our reunions . It is just too much to expect one of us trooper to take on that job in future years.  You two had your great personal "staff" doing most of the leg work and they were superb; Karen, Laury, Robin, Greg, Phyllis, Gary, Melanie (I know I missed a someone , but give some slack. Maybe it will come to me in the night. If it does I'll call you!) What a swell bunch . And what a pleasure to get to know them "up close and personal". I hesitate, but Gary surely deserves special recognition  . Hats off to Gary!! And those thoughtful souvenirs : the cards , the neck loop for holding our name tags, and that beautiful pen with our unit on it ! Outstanding! And I believe it was wise to consider our auxiliary members who are still working when determining our reunion date next year. I was thinking of Bonnie Fraser and others . Two highlights for me were the Blue Spruce visit and the afternoon with the Rangers (BBQ). We had that other Capt and a supply Sgt eating with us : What splendid soldiers they are . Others items will come to mind as I age, but I did want to get this off to you . I am a little tardy because I drove over to the OR Coast and spent a week with my families after the reunion . Our middle daughter , Jean, lives in Salem and they have a beach house to Walport, below Newport . Mary , our oldest, and husband Bill have rented a beach at Yachats (pronounced YA HOTS) below Walport for several years . Mary's daughter, Julia ( and Tom) brought our two great grand kids, Peter and Eric , 1 and 4 up from Ft Worth area. So we had a mini family reunion .

Gene Frice

Bob,
     Thank you for the note. I was happy to see the bright lights in the eyes of so many of those (particularly during happy hour in the hospitality suite) who moved heaven and earth to be there,
however, I missed so many others who could not attend. Those that attended, in many cases, came despite floods, fire, frustration, illness, irritated spouses, frantic children (oh dad not that paratrooper thing again) - not to mention the cost, time, effort, jet lag; and those beautiful members of the AUXILIARY who become increasingly beautiful every year (the gals that is).

     The desire of the Portland Planning Committee was to provide a comfortable, however exciting, setting for the Portland Reunion 2006. The bright eyes of the children in a raft approaching a Class III (well maybe a Class 1 and one half) white water portion of the river; or looking up at the one of the largest airplanes in the world made the entire event worth while.

     It was a lot of work by all of our group. My only
regret of the entire event was my neglecting to have all who served in the Committee to stand during our dinner so that we could again see all of the reunion warriors - the golf cart "NASCAR" drivers, the box carriers, keepers of the funds, the sweepers and cleaners of the hospitality room at 1AM, the greeters, and so many other task servers (probably twenty five warriors in all).

     Again, my thanks to all of the Portland Committee and the the Troopers, Auxiliary, and family members who attended to make the entire week an occasion to remember.

     God Bless all and see you in DC in 2007. Be there.

     Gene Frice, President

Raymond Paul Moats

Seeking information about Paul R. Moats, of Company E, 517 PRCT

He is my Father who died in 1987.

Thank you
Raymond Paul Moats

Billie Hiers -- Don Gentry

Dear Ben:  Thanks to our son we have finally discovered the 517th has an organization to contact.  David was very excited when he first phoned to tell us that he had collected some contact addresses for my husband.  His name is Ludwick H. Hiers, Sr. (better known as "LUCKY").   We have two mailing addresses so the BEST way is to send us an Email:
                    luckybille2@aol.com

Our CO telephone # is 970-468-5853;  PO Box 6014, Dillon CO 80435

Our FL telephone # is  727-391-2504;  18304 Gulf Blvd. #103
                                                        Redington Shores, FL 33708

Lucky is hoping to attend a reunion with others who served in the 517th.  He was a happy young man when he made the cut and became a paratrooper.   He will no doubt be writing you a note before much more time passes.   He just celebrated his 84th birthday and is basically in good health ... for which we are both very grateful.  He still "hopes" to make another jump!!!!

Thank you for your time and energy in keeping the men in contact.

Mrs. Billie Hiers (aka Mrs. Lucky)