From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 1:30 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1163 517TH PRCT- AUGUST 18, 2006
Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

We have just received notice of the passing of Silas Brown Hq. 3.

I wish to express my deepest sympathy to the Brown family.

We were all fortunate to get  to know the wonderful family of Silas at recent reunions.
Just received a message from Bob Sweet, Son in-law of Silas, saying that Silas passed away August 16, at 5:17 PM.

Ben

Bob Sweet

Hello Ben,

Sadly I wanted to let you and other 517th Troopers know that Maj. Silas
"Don" Brown passed away on August 16th.
He had been battling cancer for sometime. What I was wondering is, would
you by chance know who to contact to find out about an honor guard at his
memorial we plan for on the 26th of August? Or anyone that could help in
pointing us in the right direction for his wife "Marge" to get the paper
work for her to continue to receive his benefits? Any info or help would
be MUCH appreciated. You can contact Donna Hilliard or I with any info you
may have. I'm sure Donna will be contacting you and the 517th Troopers
with more info.
Sincerely,
--
Bob Sweet
Son in-law of Maj. Silas D. Brown

Jim Royer

Ben,  I am in favor of Wade Gilbert's plans for an ad in the
Thunderbolt, as well as, his other suggestions.  If you need Board
approval and, if I am still on the Board, you have my vote.
    My friend John Schnaffer, 106 Inf. Div, has just informed me that
the AFR, Inc. will be handling their reunion again this year to be held
at the Marriot Hotel at the Newark , N. J. Airport. John is the guy who
put us wise to the AFR. organizers.
                                            Jim Royer
Bob Christie

Ben, I received a letter from James C. Anderson with an Idaho address. The phone number he gave was missing the area code. We have a James C. Anderson in the roster with an Arizona address. His unit is 460-C. He states that he signed up for the Thunderbolt at the Savannah reunion, but, of course, you don't have to sign up to receive the Thunderbolt.  anyone help me? Bob
Boom Boom Alicki

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,

Jesus Christ
and
the American G. I.

One died for your soul;

the other for your freedom.

Entry of Aug 01, 2006 at 09:17 [EST]
Name: Robert A. McKee
Unit: not sure
EMail: rmckee3@cox.net
How I found the 517th page: From a search engine
Comments: My Father Robert Allen McKee served with the 517th. I was hoping to gain more information about him and the life he lived with the men of the 517th during world war II. My Father did not talk much about the war, but when he did the stories captivated my whole group of friends. I was hoping to get additional stories now that my Father has passed on.

Tom  Cross

 You will find the USAAF 440th Troop Carrier Group (440thTCG) Website to be of great interest to you both as well as to the rest of the 517th PRCT . The 440th supported the 2nd Bn.,517th PIR at Camp Mackall, NC and again in OPERATION DRAGOON. I believe it to be an outstanding web-site for it has links to other WW II USAAF Troop Carrier Groups, Museums, Histories and C-47/DC-3 Historical Associations. I contributed a small piece of our history to their sign-in Guest Book and hope to get a reply.
    Suggest  we offer them a chance to join us in sharing our airborne histories. Their web-site has links to the other Troop Carrier Groups that supported the 1st and 3rd Bns. The 596th and 460th Association Members were involved with all of the WW II Troop Carrier Groups that supported us in the ZI and in OPERATION DRAGOON.
Regards, Tom Cross