From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 4:28 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1166 517TH PRCT- AUGUST 21, 2006
Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Helen Beddow , Auxiliary president, had surgery this morning and expects to be her old self soon.

Reunions            Kissimmee , CA     Mini               January 21-25
 2007                     Palm Springs, CA Mini               April
                               Washington, DC   National        June
Details later

Jean Michael

OK BEN WE WILL WORK ON IT WITH A GREAT PLEASURE. YOU CAN HAVE FOR THE MOMENT HIS LAST PUBLIC PHOTO THAT WAS LAST YEAR WHEN JULY, WHEN GENERAL SEITZ AND FAMILY VISITED US;
Aime Leocard- Dick Seitz -Jean Michael- Mayor of  LuMuy- Pat Seitz-Allan Greer
                                                        *****
I've asked  Jean Michael to send us Aime's bio. - Ben

Bob Sweet

Hello Ben,

The Brown Family and I would like to thank everyone for their kind
thoughts and prayers through this difficult time. And everyone who is able and would like to attend, we will be having a  memorial service for Mr. Brown on Saturday August 26th in Debary, Fl. at  the home of Chris and Damaris Learch (his grandson and wife) It will start  at 4:30 pm and will have an honor guard and taps to be played at 5:17 pm.
Donna has not been at work lately which is where her computer is, so if  anyone needs directions or just to contact the Brown family you can either  email me at b0bsweet@bellsouth.net (that is a zero, not an "oh"), or call
Home ph# 954-971-5404 or cell# 954-562-9141.
Again that you for your kind words and prayers,
--
Bob Sweet

Howard Hensleigh

Ben:  Francis (Frank) Wakeman's family is attempting to obtain his discharge certificate.  I should be able to tell them how to get it because you have had it on Mail Call several times.  Frank died several years ago.  He, a Sioux Indian from Flandreau, SD, served in the 3rd Bn. intelligence section from Mackall through the War.  Is it possible that his records were burned in that fire in St. Louis?

With all you do for the outfit I hate to bother you with this but if you can help, I will most appreciate it.

The best from Jan and me,  HH.
                                               ************
From the website.

Request Copies of Military Personnel Records

Lory Curtis

Ben,
     Thanks for the information.  It was great meeting you and getting the chance to get to know you a little better.  I plan on  being in D.C.  Any idea when?  Thanks for putting my Dad's letter on WWII recollections.

Don Fraser and my Dad spent a lot of time together at the reunion and they discussed the glove incident.  Here is what I wrote about it.

Sometime in early January 1945, while in Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge, Major Don Fraser, Executive Officer of the First Battalion was transporting Bud and some other soldiers to another location in his jeep.  Bud had taken off his gloves because they were soaking wet.  Major Fraser noticed that Bud was trying to keep his hands warm with no success.  Major Fraser took off his gloves and told Bud, “Here take these gloves I can get more, but you can’t.  Bud was very grateful and never forgot Major Fraser’s kindness.

In an email message posted on the 517th email site, Don Fraser in 2004, remembered giving Bud his gloves.  He related in the email message, "Paratroopers were not authorized jeeps so my men appropriated a jeep from the British Army."  Apparently, it was left unattended just long enough for Major Fraser’s men to get it.  Thank goodness they had it or Bud would have been walking and would have never got Major Fraser’s warm gloves.  Major Fraser related, "I took Bud’s wet gloves and placed them on the Jeep’s radiator to dry out."

On July 19, 2006, at the 517th PRCT reunion in Portland, Oregon, Bud Curtis and Don Fraser met for the first time since the war.  Both of these men remembered that day in Belgium when Major Fraser gave Private Curtis his gloves.  Major Fraser related, "My gosh his fingers were frozen stiff and I knew he needed my gloves. I could always get more but he couldn’t."  To this day and all of his life Bud never forgot this kindness.  Now these two men had time to talk about their lives, children, and grandchildren.  It was a great reunion.
Jesse Darden

517th PRCT

I hear chat that the Portland reunion was a great success, and that the next one will be in Washington, D.C. (2007, date not known).

I just returned from the open house (July 22, 2006) of the WWII Army Air force Hanger in Fredrick, OK. The WWII ADT has taken over this hanger for the activities of the group. The group is doing a lot of repairs. It is looking great. We have two (2) jump planes of WWII vintage. They look as they did when we jumped. There were eighteen that received their Gold Wings for completion of training and the qualifying of the 5 required jumps. It was a good turn out by the community and VETS. There were 5 of the old jumpers there. We were allowed to present them their Wings. I had 5 of the young troopers. Boy they looked great in jump suits and boots. Would have liked to have been in Portland, but the dedication was a must for me. You may not know the WWII ADT Team travels across the states making demonstration jumps. They also go to Europe and jump there, usually during special events, like the 50th anniversary last year. They jumped in Bastogne. I am an associate member - Legacy Member of the Unit. Another trip to Southern France is scheduled for 2007 (dates unknown). I have been asked to attend with them. I will do so if my health allows me to.

A little history. The WWII ADT is based at Frederick Army Airfield, which is a WWII built Hangar. Built in 1942 completely of wood. It remains as one of only a handful of such buildings still standing in the USA. It was originally designed to last for the duration of the war, but has stood the test of time. The team has embarked on an ambitious project to restore the site to create an Airborne Command Training base from which to conduct its operations. We had jump team members who currently stand at 68. These are current jumpers. In addition we have a further 21 ground crew members who help out on a regular basis. And in addition to this we have approximately 15 associate members. This makes a grand total of 104 members. As you will appreciate, this number changes on a daily basis. The WWII was started & based at Bache, Oklahoma near McAlester. I was able to attend some of their trainings while they were there. Now they are clear across the state so I will not be able to attend as often.

You can log on to their web site at www.wwiiadt.org for the history and more information.

Jesse A. Darden HQ 460th FA. 517th PCT

Tom McAvoy

On Mar.16/17/2006   the legislatively created Veterans Disability
Benefits  Commission made a motion to side step proper procedures and
convene a secret meeting.  To the best of my knowledge this proposal has
been temporarily postponed,  The reason for the secrecy  is that at the
meeting the Commission  is going to advance a Methodology for cutting or
eliminating Social Security Disability Insurance benefits paid to a
veteran, who also receives  VA disability  compensation as a way of
saving the Govt. money, It is so painful for me to think that there is a
commission sanctioned by the Peoples House scurrying around Capitol Hill
trying to find away  to balance the budget on the backs of the veterans
and there families by taking away other earned benefits.  Tom McAvoy