From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 7:36 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1167 517TH PRCT-AUG 22, 2006
 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Reunions              Kissimmee , Ca.    Mini               January 21-25
 2007                     Palm Springs,Ca. Mini                April
                             Washington, DC  National          June
Details later

Airborne Jump with Combat Equipment

Jolene Michaels Devaney

   Dear Ben,

Welcome Back!

I wanted to pass this article along to you and say thanks once again for all the hard work that you and your son put into the 517th’s website.  If it had not been for the two of you I would not have connected with such wonderful people as Allan Johnson and his daughter Claire. Because of you and all the information that you furnish on the website I was able to supply our local VFW with the information that they needed to get my Uncle’s name re-added to our town memorial.  I want to personally thank all the vets who served with my Uncle in the 517th and also urge them to continue sharing their stories and knowledge.

Sincerely,

Jolene Michaels Devaney

After more than a year of research and determination, Jolene Michaels Devaney can finally say "mission accomplished."

Devaney, a former Bradford woman, started looking in 2005 for information on her uncle, Patrick Michaels, who died during World War II.

 Claire Giblin

Ben -

I see that many troopers and their families are looking forward to the Washington, DC reunion next year.  We are currently in negotiations for the date, but it will probably be late June or right after the fourth of July.  We are so looking forward to hosting our heroes and their families in our nation's capital!  Dad (Allan Johnson, 596), Leo Dean (HQ), and I all made the trip last summer on the way home from Savannah.   We loved the inspiring WWII memorial, and cannot wait to share it with everyone.

We will put out a "Save the Date" notice as soon as we have the dates, but everyone should start thinking about travel plans to DC in June or July!

We have just returned from the observances in the south of France, and I will send a report and photos in the next few days.  The bonds between the people of the south of France and all of you paratroopers remain strong.  As I've mentioned to you at reunions, August 15 in the United States goes by with little notice; in France, it's the reason for two days of parades, observances, and memorials.  It is an honor to be present for this anniversary.

I know that everyone joins us in wishing Helen Beddow, reunion goddess, a speedy recovery.  She's a special lady with an incredible commitment to the 517.

Regards to all -

Claire Giblin

 Lory Curtis

Ben,
     Thanks for the information.  It was great meeting you and getting the chance to get to know you a little better.  I plan on  being in D.C.  Any idea when?  Thanks for putting my Dad's letter on WWII recollections.

Don Fraser and my Dad spent a lot of time together at the reunion and they discussed the glove incident.  Here is what I wrote about it.

Sometime in early January 1945, while in Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge, Major Don Fraser, Executive Officer of the First Battalion was transporting Bud and some other soldiers to another location in his jeep.  Bud had taken off his gloves because they were soaking wet.  Major Fraser noticed that Bud was trying to keep his hands warm with no success.  Major Fraser took off his gloves and told Bud, “Here take these gloves I can get more, but you can’t.  Bud was very grateful and never forgot Major Fraser’s kindness.

In an email message posted on the 517th email site, Don Fraser in 2004, remembered giving Bud his gloves.  He related in the email message, "Paratroopers were not authorized jeeps so my men appropriated a jeep from the British Army."  Apparently, it was left unattended just long enough for Major Fraser’s men to get it.  Thank goodness they had it or Bud would have been walking and would have never got Major Fraser’s warm gloves.  Major Fraser related, "I took Bud’s wet gloves and placed them on the Jeep’s radiator to dry out."

On July 19, 2006, at the 517th PRCT reunion in Portland, Oregon, Bud Curtis and Don Fraser met for the first time since the war.  Both of these men remembered that day in Belgium when Major Fraser gave Private Curtis his gloves.  Major Fraser related, "My gosh his fingers were frozen stiff and I knew he needed my gloves. I could always get more but he couldn’t."  To this day and all of his life Bud never forgot this kindness.  Now these two men had time to talk about their lives, children, and grandchildren.  It was a great reunion.

Mark Landreth

Ben - I've seen a lot of references to 517th troopers who wound up making a career in the military. Do we have any idea how many of them did that? I think it'd be interesting to know. mark landreth (son of Roy, E Co.)

 Bill Christian

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Muslim Demonstration ••••

United States 16,112,566 291,557 670,846