From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2006 5:38 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1170 517TH PRCT-AUGUST 26, 2006
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I've had a busy couple days and may have fouled up on some emails. Let me know if I have missed something.
We will soon have registration and forms for the Washington Reunion.
I talked to Helen Beddow this morning. She is feeling much better and is working on getting the auxiliary up to speed. We will soon have information about how to join etc

Reunions              Kissimmee , Ca.    Mini               January 21-25
 2007                      Palm Springs,Ca. Mini                April
                                Washington, DC  National         June 27-JULY 2
Details later

Claire Giblin
Hi, Ben,

I am so glad you put the dates for the Washington, DC reunion in the last Mail Call!

Everyone, start planning now to join us in our nation's capital from Wednesday, June 27, to Monday, July 2.  We will be at the Doubletree Crystal City in Arlington, Virginia, a lovely hotel only a few minutes from Reagan International Airport.  There is a free hotel shuttle to and from the airport, for those of us arriving by plane.  There will also be shuttle service to a new and nearby shopping and dining area.

We stopped at Washington, DC on the way home from Savannah last year and had a wonderful time.  Our nation's capital is a fantastic place to share across the generations.  We'll have certain tours into specific sights, but families with younger children - our third and fourth generations - might want to take the Metro in (the hotel also has a shuttle to the Pentagon City Metro stop) to take advantage of free admission to so many sights.

Get your guidebooks from the library now and start planning what special sights you'd like to share with your family, and mark your calendars for our next national reunion in Washington, DC.

Claire Giblin

Frank Ramos

 Ben

 I gave Gene Frice the original of the letter from Secretary of the Army for the 517th last Wednesday.  I presented it and the Department of Defense Service Disabled Veteran Commemorative Coin (my office minted it last year for veteran ceremonies)  to him for the 517th at a police fast responder exposition in Virginia Gene was a Host.  The law enforcement attendees all stood up and applauded for what seemed a minute or two.  It was a very nice gesture for you heroes

                                                           ************

We  appreciate Frank Ramos  for his support on behalf of the 517. His brother Ismael served with "H" Co.-Ben

Karen

 Ben,

Don Adamski is trying to put together the dvd for the Portland reunion. He is in need of additional photos to include.  Could we request anyone who took photos to email them to Don.  He would greatly appreciate it.  He really needs photos of the Portland City tour as he did not attend.  They could also mail the photos if they would rather do it that way.
Thank you,

Dons email is

or by mail to me
Karen Wallace
Howard Hensleigh

 Ben:  That guy in the first picture better get his feet together or he is going to where he is thinking--to the hospital.  One of the first things they told us in Jump School was get into a landing position early; that meant feet together and knees slightly bent with enough tension to absorb some of the downward motion on impact; don't look down so you won't know exactly when you will hit, but look out at the horizon so you will know about when.  Then on impact, do a right front tumble, which no one ever pulled off except when we jumped of the officers club balcony onto the dance floor, sometimes knocking over some of the dancers.  On those OC jumps, it helped to have a couple of drinks, but I did mine cold sober.  Later we did one not advertised at Jump School--a downward pull on the risers as we hit the ground and that helped if we timed it right (which sometimes happened).
.
Now, Ben, how did you instruct those guys who wanted the coveted wings and boots, without breaking a leg, at the overseas school you ran before you hooked up with the 517th.
                                                      ***********
I did not run the school. I was just the clerk for the cadre. Instructions were nil. They were more or less just  given a chute and told to bring it back if it didn't  work. The volunteers were combat veterans and FFI.  We had one officer who had won a battlefield commission but could not jump out of a good airplane.-Ben

Boom Boon Alicki

Subject: Amazing Space Trip

You won't have to click anything when the page opens.  Just sit back and enjoy the amazing trip to far outer space!

     http://spacewander.com/USA/english.html

Bob Dalrmple

Chris Linder

Hi Ben:

How are you doing?  Did you enjoy the Portland reunion?

I am reading about Helen Beddow being in the hospital but I must have missed the mail call that said why she was in the hospital.  If you have the time could you please let me know how Helen is doing?

Thanks Ben.

Chris

Thanks for this information.  I was able to forward it to the Wakemen family and they have not only ordered the discharge certificate, but also Wakemen's medals that were burned up when his house caught fire.  They and we are grateful to you.

Ron Robinson
Ben:  Thanks much for the email.  You should also have Gene’s daughter on the Mail Call email list.  If not please add her.   Her name is Karen Bellm and her email address is dbellm@dtnspeed.net.   How do I get  Gene on the official roster of the 517th?   I presume that is a separate process from your email list.

Thanks for all that you do to keep the memory of the 517th fresh and memorable.  I truly look forward to reading Mail Call when it comes in.  What can I do to  be supportive.

 Ron Robinson

 Brother in Law to Harold Eugene Harms Company A 517th