From: Ben517@aol.com
iSent: Thursday, September 14, 2006 7:43 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1182 517TH PRCT-SEPTEMBER 14,2006

70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

 Hello,

We are working on the  generous offer by Wade Gilbert to aid the financial situation of the PRCT .We will explain plans to all when all cards are in place.

When you send  changes in your address to me also send them to Tom Reber reber83@insightbb.com . so that he can attempt to keep the roster  www.517prct.org/roster.pdf  up to date. Only Tom could take on this task.

Bob B. had leg surgery this past weekend and therefore   it will be a few days before the web site is brought up to date.

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Mail Call                                  517th Mail Call
Mail Call Archives                 www.517prct.org/archives
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

Reunions              Kissimmee , FL .    Mini               January 21-25
 2007                      Palm Springs,Ca. Mini                April
                              Washington, DC  National           June 27-JULY 2

Scott Atkinson

Ben & Bob,

Randy Coleman, Randolph Coleman's son has requested that I forward a copy of Randolph's transcribed oral history for posting on the 517th web pages: "Meet the Troopers".  Randolph was in F Company.

Randy would appreciate being advised when it is posted.

Having the opportunity to know Randolph and work with him on this project was a great experience for me; something that I will never forget.  I do hope that living troopers, trooper's families and other interested historians enjoy reading Randolph's experiences.  I have added a few pictures at the end, some which I understand have never been posted.

I had the privilege of visiting Southern France (Nice, Le Muy & Sospel) this past summer.  The hospitality of Robert Cohen, Patricia and Roland Orengo was absolutely the best one could expect.

Scott Atkinson
Nephew, Erwin W. Scott Jr. (D Company)
Oral History Volunteer
Nimitz Museum, Fredericksburg, Texas

Fritz Crytzer

Ben, I have attached a picture of my father, Ira C. Crytzer, Jr.  Also, I have attached a picture of my mother, Mildred Elizabeth Campbell (Crytzer) when she was working in Washington, DC, during the war, for the Department of the Navy.  The reason I am sending this to you is this:  My Dad was in the 517th, from Camp Toccoa through the Berlin Occupation.  A private, in I Company.  He fought through (and jumped into) the Champaigne Campaign, the Bulge, and then through Germany.  Later, he returned to the Virginia Military Institute, graduated in 1948, and then  flew in B-36 Bombers during the Korean Conflict as an Air Force officer.
My father now lives in Williamsburg, Virginia, with my Mom.  He has Alzheimers.  But when I talk to him, he remembers his WWII days.  I thought that the best gift I could give him now was to ask you to include him in your rolls, and, maybe, anyone that knows him, or wants to know him, could contact him and talk a little bit about those times.  Again, his name is :

Ira C. Crytzer, Jr.  (Nickname "Fritz")
P.O. Box 2466
Williamsburg, Virginia  23187
Phone:  (757) 259-1104

My Mom's name is "Mid", and she was in the Navy during WWII, as I said above.  I am proud of them both.  They are the real heroes.

I have been in a few recent operations, JUST CAUSE, DESERT SHIELD/STORM, JOINT ENDEAVOR, and worked at the Pentagon during OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM and OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM.  But none of these comes close to what they went through.  Please help me honor a 517th alumni, and give him something to be proud of.  Say hello to him.

Fritz Crytzer
1209 Highway 342
Pontotoc, Mississippi  38863
(662) 489-7806
                                                            ***********
Tom Reber and Bob Christie will take care of this matter.-Ben

Dennis Sura

Ben please add the following to your roster:

Sura, Dennis    Trooper Sura, Michael,    Son,  H Company  3rd Platoon,   Email.     denny.sura@genmills.com

25948 Island Lake Drive, Novi, MI   48374   Phone 248-755-2721

Gene Frice

Tom,
      Thank you for your note concerning the Abn and Sp Ops Museum at
Fayetteville.

      I visited the museum last year following some business at Bragg. I
spoke to the staff (reported in an e-mail sometime following the trip).
My concern was related to 517th material, records, or other data they
might possess or desire. They stated they had a considerable amount of
material; the most recent from Zais and Margaret McCollum. They stated
that due to limited personnel they were at capacity with "personal or
individual" data and  had an excessive amount of that material for
their purposes. They did desire to continue to collect unit or
"operational-tactical data).

      To give them credit re: the 517th -- I found a number of 517th and
Opn Dragoon references in the library.  in fact there is a very good
individual display case with a Jump Suit attired jumper with other
supporting material relating to the operation and units
involved (including the 517) in the case. There is also a number of
large marble blocks identifying all the various parachute units and our
Melvin Biddle is identified on a wall with the other recipients from
the airborne. In view of the passing of a year, all of the above is
related to  what I do recall from my visit. The museum stated they
would welcome a visit to review the material on hand, however it would
have to be programmed due to their work load. I have pictures of most
of the 517th related information.

      All things considered, with the number of airborne units involved
over our 60 year history, the museum is an excellent historical view of
the Airborne and Special Ops-well worth a visit by all.

Bob Dalrymple

The  Engineer