From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2006 6:51 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1206 517TH PRCT-OCTOBER 15, 2006
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

 Hello,

  The best way to make reservations for the 2007 reunion is to call the  Doubletree Hotel Crystal City directly at 703 416 4100 or free reservation number 1 866-999-VIEW. Information about tours will be available later Hotel rooms in Washington fill up early, We have a block of 130 rooms reserved. Early registration will help us to know if we need reserve more rooms. Many have already registered.

Day
Date
Begin
End
Event
Location
Wed.
June 27, 2007 7:00 AM
11:00 PM
Hospitality Suite
Jefferson Room
Thurs. June 28, 2007 7:00 AM 11:00 PM Hospitality Suite Jefferson Room
Fri. June 29, 2007 7:00 AM 11:00 PM Hospitality Suite Jefferson Room
Sat.
June 30, 2007
7:00 AM 12:00 PM Men's Breakfast
Commonwealth Room
Sat.
June 30, 2007
7:00 AM 12:00 PM Women's Breakfast
Washington Ballroom
Sat.
June 30, 2007
7:00 AM 11:00 PM Hospitality Suite Jefferson Room
Sun.
July 1, 2007
7:00 AM 11:00 PM Hospitality Suite Jefferson Room
Sun.
July 1, 2007
5:00 PM 12:00 AM Banquet
Salon AB
Mon. July 2, 2007 7:00 AM 11:00 PM Hospitality Suite Jefferson Room

Send us you story for Meet the Troopers . It will be on the internet for your great grandchildren to view.

Ben

Web Site

This site is dedicated to all Troopers of the 517th PRCT, their families,   and the brave French and Belgian Resistance Fighters who supported and fought with the 517 PRCT in WWII.

Reunions              Kissimmee, FL       Mini               January 21 - 25
 2007                      Palm Springs, CA  Mini                April
                                Washington, DC    National        June 27 - July 2

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

Recent website additions:
biography of Erwin W. Scott, Jr.
Photo of C Company 1st Platoon, Squad 2
Photos of Gene Markle and the 596th PCEC
200+ photos of Joe Broudy and A Company
John Copsey, Fritz Crytzer, I Company

 Lucky Hiers

Ben, I thought you just might want me to pass on to you.  As the Email indicates ... we're still packing off to leave for Florida.  I'm still hoping that I will have time to write my bio regarding my experiences with the 460th before we leave.

Regards, "Lucky" Hiers
Jesse:

It truly was a serendipity experience to hear from another paratrooper comrade -- particularly from the 460th.  When I received the PCRT list I was dismayed to find only a few men listed from the 460th.  I feel like a complete "dork" because until recently I never knew that the 517th has been having reunions.

During the time of the  Oregon reunion I found out that the 517th was having a reunion there.  Needless to say -- it was too late for me to go.  I was down in Denver while the reunion in Oregon was going on and  I stopped into Costco to pick up a membership card.  By chance the gentleman behind the counter (Mike Marsh) handled our application and in the conversation he asked if I had been in service.  I was very proud to say "Yes" and that I was a paratrooper in the 517th.  I told him how disappointed I was that the 517th never had any reunions.  He then informed me that the Oregon reunion was in process right at that very moment.  Mike also told me that he knew all about the 517th because he had the book "Battling Buzzards" by Gerald Astor.  He even promised to send me a copy, which he did promptly.  I wanted to pay him for it, but he would have none of that!  Mike also promised that he was going to send me another one for my stepson, Major David Foster.  David is presently stationed in Atlanta and is the apple of my eye. He also has earned his paratroop wings, although he isn't with a paratroop outfit at this time.  Most of what he is doing he can't even tell me.

Getting back to Mike Marsh he also got me hooked up with the Rocky Mtn. Chapter of the 82nd Airborne Division.  My wife and I attended our first dinner with them a couple of weeks ago and it was great to meet so many so many other paratroopers.

Just by coincidence the same week that Mike Marsh and I got hooked together, my stepson, Major David Foster, was surfing the internet looking to find a connection for me with some of  the group I might have served with.  He located MSG Don R. Gentry, U.S. Army Security, Retired,  and Ben Barrett, Sr. who is doing a fantastic job with Mail Call.
He and Bob Reber are both working to update the Roster at least once a month.

Surely you can tell that I am very excited to be hooked up with this fine group of men.  Nothing short of death will keep me from the National reunion in D.C. next June.  We have already made our reservations.  At this point in time it is  doubtful about our getting to attend the mini-reunion in Kissimmee.  I live in Florida part of the year (Redington Shores, FL, which is thirty miles west of Tampa).  The remainder of the year we live at Lake Dillon, CO which is located 76 miles due west of Denver, just barely west of the Continental Divide.  Since the wife and I are alpine skiers we have spent over forty years of our winters in Colorado.  Ordinarily any other time of the year we would be able to make that reunion, but we have people who rent our FL condo during the winter months while we're out here skiing.
We would really like to be at the FL reunion and if you know of any other Florida reunions in the future please let us know so we can arrange to be there if at all possible.

On a sadder note I was informed that Col. Cato, our Battalion Commander, passed away a year ago August.  On an even sadder note I found out that he lived many years less than five miles from my condo.  It seemed a tragedy to me since I had so much respect for him and would have liked very much to have sat down with him for some conversation.  Col. Cato, if my memory is correct, he was 91 y/o when he died.  I understand his wife died two weeks later.

My wife and I are working hard to get the Colorado home closed off so we can make a quick trip back to FL to get the condo ready for our winter renters.  My intention is to very shortly write my biography as requested by several.  It will mainly be as it concerns the 460th as the book "Battling Buzzards" was primarily written about the Infantry.

Thanks so much for contacting me.
GERONIMO
L. H. "Lucky" Hiers, Sr.
Tom Cross

Ben:
    Some of our Association Members will remember this airplane. It came into the USAAF Inventory after we arrived back in the ZI at the end of WW II. My first jump from this aircraft was when I was in the 505th PIR, 82nd Abn. Div. after the 517th PIR deactivated at Bragg in 1946 and was absorbed into the 82nd Abn .  Division. Major General Gavin was still Commanding the 82nd at this time. I made the first night jump from this aircraft along with Colonel Bill Ekman, Commanding Officer of the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment. I believe Bob Piper, Honorary Member of the 517th PIR, who was the 505th PIR S-2 at the time jumped with us. The jump took place on the Normandy Drop Zone at night. The C-82 Aircraft had poor cockpit visibility because of the location of the cockpit and the fact that it could not view the ground to locate the T Panel that was well lit to indicate the point at which to exit the aircraft. It was necessary to locate points on the horizon to the far left and right of the the T Panel in order to use the T Panel as an exit point.
    The C-82 preceded the C-119 which had better visibility and more powerful engines.  The C-82 had rear Clam Shell doors that be taken off to permit the exit of heavy parachute loads and also had a monorail system in the interior of the aircraft that permitted the automatic dropping of parachute bundles of equipment through what looked like a small bomb bay that could be opened in flight. The monorail concept  was not an ideal manner of delivering equipment and jumping personnel from the two rear door exits at the same time. You could also make static line jumps from the rear of the aircraft when the clam shell doors at the rear of the aircraft were removed. Needless to say we were not fond of the monorail system and were glad when they were dispensed with when the new C-119 aircraft on the scene . We were still using the C-119 when I was with the 101st Airborne Division in 1961.The C-119 was well suited for the parachute aerial delivery of heavy equipment. The C-130 that followed the C-119 had 4 engines and a much heavier payload and was more adaptable for all types of airborne operations.
Regards, Tom