From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 7:19 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1207 517TH PRCT- OCTOBER 18, 2006

70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Washington Reunion. Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday July 2

Reunions              Kissimmee, FL       Mini               January 21 - 25
 2007                      Palm Springs, CA  Mini                April
                                Washington, DC    National        June 27 - July 2

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

Tom Cross

  Jim:
    There was a portion of my comments regarding the C-82 Monorail System that was missing from the message that I sent to you. Since you are going to use my experience with the C-82 Aircraft I thought it best to rewrite the entire message and include some additional information about my experience with the C-82 that might be of interest.
    My introduction to the C-82 began at Fort Bragg, NC in 1946 when the C-82 was first introduced to the 82nd Airborne Division.  The setting was a Parachute Battalion Combat Team Exercise on the Fort Bragg Military Reservation that was planned by Major General Major General Jim Gavin, who was at that time still  the Commanding General of the 82nd Airborne Division. The 517th Parachute Infantry Regiment, of which I was a member and commanded the 3rd Battalion of that Regiment was deactivated in March of 1946 at Fort Bragg and  then redesignated as the Third Battalion of the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment.  At this point in time the 101st Airborne Division had been deactivated in Europe and a large number of its personnel assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg. I was retained as the Battalion Commander and the 3rd Battalion was reconstituted with WW II airborne veterans from the 517th Parachute Infantry Regiment, the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment and the deactivated 101st Airborne Division personnel. Almost all were WW II combat veterans.
    Major General Gavin desired to test the new additions to the 82nd Airborne Division and to use the new C-82 Aircraft in an actual tactical training operation.  The new C-82 Aircraft had only recently been added to the USAAF Troop Carrier Units. The Training Operation consisted of a realistic combat simulated Parachute Battalion Combat Team Airborne Operation on the Normandy Parachute Drop Zone at Fort Bragg in 1946. Due to the shortage of C-82 aircraft at the time they were used only for the Combat Parachute Pack Field Artillery Battery that was an integral part of the 3rd Battalion, 505th Parachute Infantry Battalion Combat Team.  The 3rd Parachute Infantry Battalion used the Curtis C-46 Commando aircraft for this jump and the Lead Serial of aircraft consisted of the C-46 aircraft followed by the Second Serial of C-82 aircraft carrying the Parachute Field Artillery Battery. I jumped from the leading aircraft and was on the Drop Zone when the Second Serial of C-82 aircraft arrived over the DZ. It was a memorable sight and the beginning of a new method for the aerial delivery of our supporting artillery.  It was a far different and better method than what we used in our WW II Airborne Operations.
    My next experience with the new C-82 was when a small group  from the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment made the first night Parachute Jump from a C-82 made in the 82nd Airborne Division. This group was led by Colonel Bill Ekman, Commanding Officer of the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment and members of his Staff. I recall that the position and construction of the C-82 cockpit was such that it was difficult to tell when you were near and over the ground panels made up in the form of a "T" to indicate the ground wind direction. It was necessary to pick up and designate ground identification points/objects on the right and left side of the cockpit and some distance and aligned with the ground panels in order to properly time the exit over the  panels. It was particularly difficult at night when visibility was limited and ground lighting from various sources were hard to home- on for the approach to the ground panels. The Fairchild C-119 which followed the C-82 had a far better cockpit arrangement that permitted downward visibility as the aircraft approached the designated exit point for the parachutists.
    The C-82 had a unique aerial delivery system. In addition to the capability to remove the rear clam shell loading doors  prior to flight for the discharge of heavy cargo it had a Monorail System for discharging medium size cargo containers from a conveyer belt arrangement contained in the interior of the aircraft. The conveyer belt suspended the containers from an automatic release system at the top of the cargo compartment which allowed the containers to drop through a bomb bay type arrangement in the floor at the forward part of the cargo compartment. It worked but required training to operate properly. This was carried over to the later developed C-119 aircraft and then discontinued when the new heavy equipment drop techniques were introduced and proved to be more effective and made the monorail arrangement unnecessary. Additionally, there was concern about using the monorail system at the same time parachutist were jumping from both doors of the aircraft or with the rear clam shell doors removed.
    The most exciting flight I ever took in a C-119 was with the Norwegian Air Force during NATO Maneuvers in North Norway in 1965 .I asked the pilot if he would fly lower so we could
observe a herd of reindeer and he went down to antler level and scattered reindeer for miles around. The C-119 had many uses during its time but reindeer herding was not one of them.
     I believe I am one of the few airborne guys that went through the complete C-82-C-119 era.  The C-119 came into the US Air Force and The US Army inventory at the right time and place.  It served us well.
Regards, Tom
Boom Boom Alicki

Hi Ben!

   Hope all is well with your family and the rest of the Barrett clan.

   Please change my E-mail address to <newacct1088254@aol.com.

   I, and many many old timers like yourself appreciate wholeheartedly what you and Bob are doing.
Shirley McCarey

Hi Ben ---- Haven't had a Mail Call in ages.   How I got off the list, I have no idea --- please put me back on.    Sure miss reading 'em.

Shirley McCarey
Friend of the 517th

Alex Fulle

Ben,
I had a great time at the Toccoa reunion this year, as
always!  I was glad to see a few 517th vets among the
guys coming back this year. Got a bunch of pictures
of our living history guys going up Currahee in HBTs if
you want me to pass on the pictures?
-Alex Fulle

Bucky Simmons

These photos were taken by a high school student from Atlanta and sent to me. I hope you enjoy them !

 Thanks to you all!

Bucky

http://www.glio.net/toccoa2006

 Jack Collins