From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2006 7:54 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1208 517TH PRCT--OCTOBER 20, 2006

Washington Reunion. Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday July 2

Today we had phone conversations with Helen Beddow , Darrell Enger, Hal Beddow and Tom Cross.

Reunions              Kissimmee, FL       Mini               January 21 - 25
 2007                      Palm Springs, CA  Mini                April
                                Washington, DC    National        June 27 - July 2

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

Helen Beddow

 The 517th Auxiliary is alive and moving forward.  I just want to remind you to click on to our website and print out the Auxiliary Membership form.  We have several new members and are looking forward to other people becoming members also.  Your support is vital to the Auxiliary and also in helping to make our mission become a reality.  So "come one, come all" and send your dues to our Treasurer, Karen Wallace.  Karen's address is:   Karen Wallace
                                             66295 Highway 20
                                             Bend, OR  97701

Helen Beddow, President
517th Auxiliary

From Eric and Mickael, Airborne Museum Le MUY France
Hi Ben and all friends of the 517th,
here is some pictures of the special French resistance and OSS, and british SOE opération, made up in the mountain North of L e Muy, in the place french FFI had many supply during WWIi to organise the "Secret army", and the DZ where Special operation executive, OSS officers where parachuted prior the landing to organise your "welcome" on the DZ with french resistants.
on the photo, Mr Fernand 93 years old and sister, was the driver from this DZ down to Le Muy DZ for the OSS officer captain Geoffrey JONES, the U.S army agent in charge of the airborne operation Dragoon. On the way down, the 13th of august at night, "Fernand" remember that his truck was pilled down by a american P38 plane...!

Bob Barrett

Sorry, but due to the large amount of spam received recently, I have had to discontinue the Guestbook, at least temporarily.   I hope to reinstate the Guestbook, once I have the time to build a more secure interface.

In the meantime, please send me your email notes and questions, and I will manually post them and pass any questions on to members of the 517th.

Boom Boom Alicki

VA Urges Veterans to Wear Medals on Veterans Day
WASHINGTON (Oct. 18, 2006) -- The Honorable R. James Nicholson,
Secretary of Veterans Affairs, and leaders of major veterans
organizations today called on America's veterans to help kindle a new
spark of patriotism on Veterans Day by wearing the medals they earned
during military service.
"We are announcing a Veterans Pride Initiative to remind Americans of
the pride and honor in the hearts of those who have served," Nicholson
said. "We expect Americans will see our decorated heroes unite in spirit
at ceremonies, in parades and elsewhere as a compelling symbol of
courage and sacrifice on Veterans Day, the day we set aside to thank
those who served and safeguarded our national security."
The campaign is modeled after a tradition in Australia and New Zealand,
countries who honor the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) on
April 25. ANZAC Day sees veterans wearing their military decorations
whatever they are doing on that day. Nicholson said he hopes a U. S.
tradition will ensue to emulate this pride in being a veteran and in
honoring our veterans.
VA is offering information about the campaign on its Web page,
http://www.va.gov/veteranspride/, where veterans also can obtain
information about how to replace mislaid medals and learn how to confirm
the decorations to which they are entitled.

Lucky and Billie Hiers

Thanks, Ben.

You cleared up my fuzzy understanding!

We look forward to being there and getting acquainted before we hit the "big time" at the D.C. reunion.  It will be nice to be able to put a face with all the messages you send out.

See you there!
Lucky and Billie (Hiers)
Harris Johnson

Mr. Wellman,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful gesture of sending along the Wayne Cross Service Company information from the "Thunderbolt" .  As you may have read  from my posting on the 517th Web site, Larry died recently.  I await the remainder of his personal and heretofore private papers so that I can, I hope,  delve a bit deeper into his 517th career.  His discharge  provides little information.  I have, upon inquiry, established that many times the typist simply inserted whatever information the recipient provided.  For example, Larry's discharge identifies only one wound,  he apparently suffered others. as he died still carrying bits of metal from his time with the 517th;  so the idea that his discharge document would be of help in reconstructing parts of his career went down the tubes immediately!  I eagerly await the posting of more 517th Casualty Reports to ascertain when and where his other wounds took place and have offered to assist in their preparation for the site.   For example, I have separate information that one of his injuries required that he be evacuated to England for hospitalization [understand he and his brother were in the same hospital there at the same time.], but it was not the wound cited in his discharge.  That one took place in Italy and is confirmed on the web site in the initial Casualty Report posted there.   Nothing is available from the Army as his records were apparently destroyed in the Saint Louis fire.

I am particularly interested in a more complete story of the incident of the road intersection South East of Callian in which the FFI played a part.   Larry provided me some information on his role in that action, sometime before his death, but was not particularly forthcoming about specifics other than the fact that it was the only time he looked carefully at the dead  Germans after a fire fight.  One of the dead was apparently a very young German and Larry vowed to himself never to look again.  He commented that he kept that vow.  For some reason, no one involved in the incident seems interested in providing further insights.  I find this unusual as while it may have been only a very small action it is often cited in historical items, specifically naming Lt. Skutaik and M/Sgt Coil, on Dragoon and usually eager amplifications are forthcoming from several sources when an incident is cited or information is requested, as I did, on the web site.  Curious, but perhaps everyone involved has passed on.

I attempted to contact 28 members of the Service Company asking if anyone remembered Larry,  thirteen letters were returned and no information was forthcoming from anyone else.

Again, my sincere thanks for your consideration.

Harris Johnson

Boom Boom Alicki

>        If you remember The Original Hollywood Squares and its comics, this will bring a tear to your eyes. These great questions and answers are from the days when game show responses were spontaneous and clever, not scripted and (often) dull as they are now. Peter Marshall was the host
asking the questions, of course.

       Q. Do female frogs croak?
       A. Paul Lynde: If you hold their little heads under water long enough.

       Q. If you're going to make a parachute jump, at least how high should you be?
      A. Charley Weaver: Three days of steady drinking should do it.

       Q. True or False, A pea can last as long as 5,000 years.
       A. George Gobel: Boy, it sure seems that way sometimes.

       Q. You've been having trouble going to sleep. Are you probably a man or a woman?
       A Don Knotts: That's what's been keeping me awake.

       Q. According to Cosmo, if you meet a stranger at a party and you think that he is attractive, is it okay to come out and ask him if he's married?
       A Rose Marie: No, wait until morning.

       Q. Which of your five senses tends to diminish as you get older?
       A. Charley Weaver: My sense of decency.