From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 8:11 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1218 517TH PRCT-NOVEMBER 13, 2006
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

MAIL CALL   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Washington Reunion. Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday July 2

Suggestion about font and print size are welcome. I try to use regular black print and N0 12. Number 10 may be too small and No. 14 takes too much space.

Reunions           Florida Snowbird Mini-Reunion     January 21 - 25
 2007                   Palm Springs, CA. Mini                April
                             Washington, DC  National          June 27 - July 2

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

Walt Smith

Hello Ben, Bless you for being an intermediary for all of us who use your medium to correspond especially when those of us with failing eyes find it a little unhandy to get out the magnifying glass to look up email addresses in Tom Reber's roster.  There are so many on the roster that big print is out of the question.
    Howard Hensleigh had his say about starting to get back into 'big ten' football and enjoying it.  Hurrah for that pleasure to Howard.  His closing  comment  was an apology to others when he expressed his choices.  'Twasn't necessary, no one expects everyone to choose the same team.  We really love to read and appreciate all of Howard Hensleigh's and Tom Reber's  fruitful writings.   It's all in good faith and sportsmanship.  "go Ohio State Buckeyes' God Bless.
Walt W Smith
                                                           ************
You can always use the zoom in tool to make the Tom's roster as large as you wish. - Ben
Claire Giblin

Good morning, Ben,

I see all the football loyalty on Mail Call lately, and I can't help but add that we're proud Rutgers alumni in our house.  Rutgers has risen to #7 in the AP poll and #6 in the BCS poll, and we're just a bit partisan here.

Claire Giblin

"Doc" Licklider

Dear Ben,
        Joe Blackwell was a very close friend of mine.  We were not only in "A" company together but were also at Ohio State University together along with his wife, Evelyn.
        We saw Joe and Evie at a Palm Springs reunion a few years ago and shortly after that he passed away. The last address we had for Evie was, 418 Parkview Dr., Hubbard, OH 44425.
        Joe and I were together from the very beginning of training until the war was over.
        G. Robert Lecklider ("Doc")

Don Gentry

Hello Ben, The specific History Channel Mini Series "ShootOut" episode we are looking for is "Battle of the Bulge". I did find the reference to the title but it has not been posted to their archives as of today.

I'll get a copy made and make sure it gets to you before the next mini. In the mean time we can all keep a eye out for a replay date and time.

Don Gentry
                                                        ***************
I have the DVD from the History Channel for $25.00 .- Ben
Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben,

Congratulations to Don Gentry for catching the only history channel program I have ever heard of that recognizes the 517th.  Russ Miller called me from Gainsville while it was still on.  Too bad they didn't go on to tell how St. Vith and Manhay were retaken to honor the 2nd and 3rd Bns.  After all these years I am happy to take half a loaf in honor of the 1st.  I have come to believe that the higher headquarters under whom we fought were stingy in recognitions of our accomplishment.  Nes pa??

Also, a salute to Tom Reber, Ben & Bob Barrett, and Bob Christie for keeping the channels of communications open and doing excellent work to keep the rosters current.

To my airborne brethren who have survived yet another Veteran's Day.  Howard Hensleigh

Rick Sweet

 Hello Mr. Ben Barrett and other 517th vets,
          I would like to be added  to your mailing list .My name is Rick Sweet and my e-mail address is shugarhill@fuse.net.
           My dad was P.F.C. Odas Sweet of A company.  If anyone has any pictures or stories that you could share with me I would really appreciate it, especially if you knew my father.
After the war my dad became an alcoholic and passed away after drinking anti-freeze in 1958.  I was four years old at the time and although I do have memories of him, I never got to hear the war stories about his friends and battles that he survived.  I am sure that the war had a lot to do with his drinking and eventual demise but I am proud of him for doing his part and fighting with the 517th. He received a purple heart and a good conduct medal along with a few others. I read the book about the " Battling Buzzards" by George Astor and it made me proud and more interested in finding out all that I could about his unit and experiences.
      My mother told me about a time when the 517th was asleep on the side of a road and my dad woke up and found himself covered by snow. He stuck his head up out of the snow and didn't see anyone and thought his unit had left him.  But was relieved to find out everyone was still there covered under the snow.  I am sure there were some good times along with the horrible things that are experienced in war.  If anyone remembers my dad please give me a holler.  Your response will be welcome!!!
                                                                                    Sincerely,
                                                                                     Son of a Battling Buzzard

Gene Brissey

Veterans Day two days ago has been tied to another one, in my mind, which took place in 1944. The 517th was high in the Alps beyond Sospel. Nov. 11th was probably not in the minds of many of us that day until we looked in the valley below watching our planes flying far below us. Then I, for one, realized that it was a day which was later to be named Veterans Day. It was a day which I shall never forget. Many Veteran Days have passed since then none of which will be really special to me, The one that passed two days ago will be remembered forever along with that one in 1944. The city of Albuquerque joined with Veterans organizations to conduct a day to remember. I squeezed into my uniform which I wore the day I was discharged. Edie and I were to join other Vets and celebrities at the Veterans Memorial grounds for a special ceremony to honor all vets. We stopped for breakfast and a few unexpected things took place. Several people took pictures of me and one young lady came to me crying and thanking me for what Vets had done to help our country. Her grandfather had lost his life in WW2. At the ceremony many people took pictures of me and thanked me for what I had done. A newspaper reporter came to me, took pictures and ask many questions about my military time especially combat time. He said a story would appear in our newspaper. This may not happen but this Veterans Day will be remembered along with the one in 1944.
Gene Brissey
Mike Kane

Hi Ben.  Re Don Gentry's entry about the "Shootout" episode on the History Channel.  Here is a link to the History Channel's DVD's library of DVD's for sale.  The full series is for sale, but it looks like this episode can be purchased separately.

Best Regards

Mike
I used this info to purchase the DVD.-Ben