From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 24, 2006 7:33 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1223 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 24, 2006

70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

MAIL CALL   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Washington Reunion. Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday July 2

.
The Armed Forces Reunions has notified us that together we will soon outline the basic structure of the reunion and determine what tours and group functions there will be at the reunion.

Mail Call                                  mailcall@517prct.org.

Reunions           Florida Snowbird Mini-Reunion      January 21 - 25
 2007                  Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion    April 15 - 20
                            Washington, DC  National              June 27 - July 2

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

 Howard Hensleigh

Hi Ben,  Three cheers for Bill Mauldin for saying it like it was.  Who had time to look noble.  And, congratulations to Tom Reber on his over achieving Badgers and his new (more 517th friendly ) job.  I think the Hawks under achieved this year.

Note to Dennis Sura:  My phone number until December 10, 2006 is (904) 270-8797.  After that it will be (707) 773-4811.  I will be happy to talk to you about H Co. and the men who pulled off some very successful attacks, including Manhay, Belgium, and around Col de Braus, France.  Your father went through all the combat until the last day we fought.

HAPPY DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING,  HH
Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

Dear Ben:
    Hope you and your family had a very blessed Happy Thanksgiving.  This season gives us the opportunity to tell those who make a difference in our lives, Thank you.  Your work and that of your son on behalf of the 517th make such a positive difference in not only our lives but so many others of the 517th and their families.  Thank you for being such a blessing.
    And our very special thanks to the members of the 517th for their service, dedication and sacrifice.
    Sincerely, Pat Seitz and Alan Greer

PS  Thank you also for the Bill Maudlin piece and cartoon.
Karen Reece

Hello Ben,

We are at my parents' house in FL for the Thanksgiving holiday, as you may have guessed. We'll drive back to Atlanta tomorrow. We were trying to get their internet service up and running. They hadn't received any emails since September. Well, once we re-connected the computer to the modem (yes----these things do somehow become unplugged) and contacted their ISP to reboot the modem, they still did not receive emails. I could not tell if our emails had been transmitted to you, so of course I kept re-composing and sending. Sorry for the barrage of emails from us. Well, I finally had an "aha!" moment and checked their anti-spam device and yes, all of the Mail Calls were being held in a "quarantine" file. Once I submitted your address, fifty-three unread Mail Call messages were in his inbox. Thank you for checking the address on your end. The protection device on my parents computer has blocked all of their emails. Another computer crisis resolved.

I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. I imagine Massachusetts to be beautiful this time of year.
Am I correct?

Best regard,
Karen

(2) Bill Maudlin wrote about his meeting with General George Patton in his book, The Brass Ring (1971)

There he sat, big as life even at that distance. His hair was silver, his face was pink, his collar and shoulders glittered with more stars than I could count, his fingers sparkled with rings, and an incredible mass of ribbons started around desktop level and spread upward in a flood over his chest to the very top of his shoulder, as if preparing to march down his back too. His face was rugged, with an odd, strangely shapeless outline; his eyes were pale, almost colorless, with a choleric bulge. His small, compressed mouth was sharply downturned at the corners, with a lower lip which suggested a pouting child as much as a no-nonsense martinet. It was a welcome, rather human touch. Beside him, lying in a big chair, was Willie, the bull terrier. If ever dog was suited to master this one was. Willie had his beloved boss's expression and lacked only the ribbons and stars. I stood in that door staring into the four meanest eyes I'd ever seen.

Patton demanded: "What are you trying to do, incite a goddamn mutiny?" Patton then launched into a lengthy dissertation about armies and leaders of the past, of rank and its importance. Patton was a master of his subject felt truly privileged, as if I were hearing Michelangelo on painting. I had been too long enchanted by the army myself to be anything but impressed by this magnificent old performer's monologue. Just as when I had first saluted him, I felt whatever martial spirit was left in me being lifted out and fanned into flame.

If you're a leader, you don't push wet spaghetti, you pull it. The U.S. Army still has to learn that. The British understand it. Patton understood it. I always admired Patton. Oh, sure, the stupid bastard was crazy. He was insane. He thought he was living in the Dark Ages. Soldiers were peasants to him. I didn't like that attitude, but I certainly respected his theories and the techniques he used to get his men out of their foxholes.

 A Bill Mauldin cartoon
_maul07
"Nonsense. S-2 reported that machine gun silenced hours ago. Stop wiggling your fingers at me."