From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 8:41 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1227 517TH PRCT-DECEMBER 1, 2006
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

MAIL CALL   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Washington Reunion. Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday July 2

I will be in California and Nevada December 15-30 . I will be able to receive mail but not sure if I can send Mail Call on another computer because of large address book. I will include Battle of The Bulge news and photos in next few Mail Calls.

Mail Call                                  Ben 517@AOL.COM

Reunions           Florida Snowbird Mini-Reunion      January 21 - 25
 2007                  Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion    April 15 - 20
                            Washington, DC  National              June 27 - July 2

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

Juliana Stonis

Hi Ben,

I saw an interesting article in my local Dallas newspaper about Troop
Talk Radio's Christmas gift for our troops overseas. It is called
Operation Music Download.  What you do is give $1 or as much as you like
so Service members will be able to download the music of their choice
from an online store.

I donated some money for them, hope someone else finds this interesting.

Here is the link to Troop Talk:  http://www.trooptalkradio.com/

To donate to Operation Music Download just click on the link at the top
of the webpage.

thanks,
Juliana Stonis
daughter of John Stonis

Bob And Kathleen Hart

A short msg. to say we have a new e mail address:bobkath19@msn.com  We would appreciate a reply that you have received this.  Thanks - Bob & Kathleen Hart

Boom Boom Alicki

Subject: Please pass on.

Its official, DD-214's are NOW Online.
The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has provided the following
website for veterans to gain access to their DD-214s online:
http://vetrecs.archives.gov/ This may be particularly helpful when a
veteran needs a copy of his DD-214 for employment purposes. NPRC is
working to make it easier for veterans with computers and Internet
access to obtain copies of documents from their military files. Military
veterans and the next of kin of deceased former military members may now
use a new online military personnel records system to request documents.
Other individuals with a need for documents must still complete the
Standard Form 180, which can be downloaded from the online web site.
Because the requester will be asked to supply all information essential
for NPRC to process the request, delays that normally occur when NPRC
has to ask veterans for additional information will be minimized. The
new web-based application was designed to provide better service on
these requests by eliminating the records center's mailroom processing
time.
Please pass this information on to former military personnel you may
know and their dependents.

Paul J Chevalier
Legislative Chairman
NH VFW

Lory Curtis

Ben
   I hope this gets through, but I tried to send it on Thanksgiving and I kept getting a message saying the email could not be delivered.
Anyway, As many of you know I have compiled an unpublished book of letters my Dad wrote home to his mother during the war years.  If any of you would like a copy of this book please email me at lcurtis@utah.gov.  It is a great remembrance of what happened on a specific day in the 517th.

This is what my Dad had to say on Thanksgiving November 23, 1944.

Letter to Mom from Harland L. "Bud" Curtis
Northern France, later to be know as Soissons close to Reims
Thursday, November 23, 1944,  Thanksgiving Day

Dear Mom,

    I haven't had any letters from you for over a week, but I guess it is because there are so many packages in the mail right now.  That's right I got a package from you last Saturday with the cookies, pineapple, baked beans, boy it didn't take long to finish that off.  I sure hope I get another one soon.  How about in one of the packages you send, put in some of those assorted cookies.
    I got a letter from Jill yesterday, and two from Jerry this week and one from Onieda Martin a while back.   I like to get letters, but I really don't care much for writing them myself.  Every time I decide to catch up on back letters I usually end up by just writing you and saying to heck with the rest.
    I hope Dad got that journeyman job he was talking about and I hope Bert is really on his way home.  It would sure be swell if he could be home for Christmas, but as for me, being away from home at Christmas has gotten to be a regular habit, so it will be kind of nice sometime when I do stop adventuring around and settle down for a while in one place for a change.
    Oh yes, today is Thanksgiving isn't it?  We have a regular field kitchen now, and from what they tell me, I gather we are going to have a pretty good chow today with turkey and all the trimmings.  It seems funny after so long of cooking your own food, to have someone else do it now, and sweating out a chow line again.
    I got that package of Esquire (magazines) and have been getting the books and magazines you have been sending quite regular.  Thanks millions for all of them and I'll appreciate it if you just keep on sending them and packages of cookies and stuff like you have been.
    Well the mail hasn't come in yet today, so maybe I'll get some mail from you.  Hope so.
                I'll write again soon,
                Love,
                Bud

I would very much like to hear of any other stories that 517th troopers remember about Thanksgiving.

Lory V. Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st BN
 Billie and Lucky Heirs

Ben, This is our first day back on the machine!  Eighty Emails to read, print or delete.  I'm printing out the MailCalls for Lucky ... and having trouble w/printer.

I'm sorry you didn't receive the Kudos for the WWII Vets; but it is no longer in our computer.

We ran into another Paratrooper while we were traveling.  We saw his cap by his chair in the restaurant..  OF COURSE we talked to them.

They don't have a computer, but were excited to think they had been "located."   We think he is VERY sick and it was a rare outing for them.  They were MORE THAN willing to give us permission to send you their name, address and phone #.

            Jim and Betty Goodwin
            102  S.W. Hobby Place
            Lake City, FL 32224
            PHONE:  (386) 755-3752

They would love to hear from anyone!!!   Lucky found out Jim was a paratrooper; participated in Battle of the Bulge, but not much else.  They had already eaten and he had his cup of coffee to go.

This AIRBORNE gentleman needs a boost from the others ... he may not make it to the Kisssimmee Reunion, but they would like the details.

We saw a mother, two brothers in Kentucky;  three children, eight of thirteen grandchildren at our Major's home for Thanksgiving while on our trip from Colorado to Florida.  Our plan is to be back in Colorado in January (Lord willing and the creeks don't rise!).

Lucky/bsh
AIRBORNE

517 Heading for Bulge 1944