From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 8:02 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1229 517TH PRCT - DECEMBER 05, 2006
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

MAIL CALL   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Washington Reunion. Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday July 2

I will be in California and Nevada December 15-30 . I will be able to receive mail but not sure if I can send Mail Call on another computer because of large address book. I will include Battle of The Bulge news and photos in next few Mail Calls.

Last Mail Call should have been No. 1228

Mail Call                                  Ben 517@AOL.COM

Reunions           Florida Snowbird Mini-Reunion      January 21 - 25
 2007                  Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion    April 15 - 20
                            Washington, DC  National              June 27 - July 2

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form
Chris Lindner

Hi Ben:

It looks like everyone will be in transit around the holidays.  I am going back to St. Louis December 11-December 15.  I want to see my Mom.  She is doing very well after her open heart surgery on November 15 (which was her 80th Birthday)

I want to wish everyone a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a WONDERFUL NEW YEAR.

Chris Lindner

 Billie Hiers

Dear Ben:

NO DOUBT this information has made Mail Call in the past before Lucky found you and the other 517th/460th group ... not to mention all the other veterans; but for anyone who doesn't know about the following.

They can contact the AMERICAN BATTLE MONUMENTS COMMISSION
                               P.O. Box 96766
                               Washington, D.C.  20090-6766.

They will accept a photograph and information for any veteran of WWII which will be engraved on the Memorial Monument.   Cost is next to nothing (maybe $5).  I don't have their phone #, but Lucky is already registered with them.

Keep on keeping on.  You and your son are amazing people -- very unselfish!
Thanks to you and all the others who give time and energy to brighten the lives of the other WWII Vets!

Billie Hiers for "Lucky"

Lory Curtis

Ben,
   I was at the store "Sam's Club" last Saturday, when I saw a DVD "Objective Burma", so I purchased it.  I remembered my Dad telling me about Errol Flynn coming to Camp MacKall to film the movie and how the 517th jumped on a very windy day for the movie.  Anyway, I got very excited to see what the movie was about since I had never watched it before.  I was very impressed with the scenes of the men preparing for the jump, and then the jump.  My Dad does not remember very much about it today, but he did write his mother about it, and I have included what he said to her on December 24, 1943.   Does anyone else have any stories about that jump.  I would very much like to hear about them.

Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st BN

Here is part of a letter my Dad wrote to his mother.

     "As you can see, I am still around after that jump last Tuesday.  We jumped at 400 feet (the lowest yet) and it was less than 15 seconds until I was on the ground.  Boy did I ever come down fast.  For a while I began to wonder if I had a chute even while I was looking at it and when I looked at the ground it was about like going 20 M.P.H. in a car and looking at the ground directly below.  That will give you some idea how it was coming at me.  The only thing I could do is prepare to land, get ready to tumble and hope for the best.  I hit hard and I tried to make a front tumble, but there was a strong wind and I was yanked out face first into the dirt, and plowed up about 50 yards of dirt before I could collapse the wind out of my parachute.  The sun had been out bright and shinny all day, and the ground was soft and sandy so I wasn't as much as scratched.  They asked for 16 volunteers for a night jump yesterday (Thursday) and you know me, I was the first one to step out and get my name signed up.  This jumping maybe dangerous and even if it does scare me a little, I would never admit it to myself. As for jumping out of an airplane, well that doesn't even bother me.  It is just thinking what could happen so if you don't think about it there is nothing to worry about.  I really haven't got a good explanation for it, but it is just not in me not to volunteer for something dangerous.  It might scare me, but it can't get me to be afraid, because I'm not afraid to do anything, but still be scared to death!  There is a difference between being scared and afraid.  You figure it out, it is too deep for me.
    Gosh, but this doesn't seen like Christmas.  I'm going to stop now.  It is about time!
    Merry Christmas and stuff.
P.S. Thanks for the swell birthday package.
P.S. Incidentally, that night jump was called off because of 50 mph wind upstairs.
Love Bud"

Bob Barrett

Dad,

On the flight to LA, I sat next to an ex-Marine on his way to New  Zealand. He is 88 years old and fought in the Battle of Guadalcanal.  Eventually he became a Lt. Colonel.  He is an active guy, has a home in Aspen and still skied until last year.  Anyway, he mentioned that he used to go to some of his unit's reunions, but they stopped having them a couple years ago, since there are fewer and fewer members each year.  At the last one, only 10 people showed up, so they disbanded the reunions.   I guess the 517th is holding together pretty well, for a few more years at least.

Bob

Harris Johnson

Ben, I found this site I thought you'd like to see: http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/PASSINGOFGENERATION.HTML Your friend, Harris Johnson
Very moving-Ben