From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 10:36 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1230 517TH PRCT-DECEMBER 6,2006
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

MAIL CALL   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Washington Reunion. Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday July 2

I will be in California and Nevada December 15-30 . I will be able to receive mail but not sure if I can send Mail Call on another computer because of large address book. I will include Battle of The Bulge news and photos in next few Mail Calls.

Mary Jane Hanron,a correspondent for a local newspaper recently interviewed me for a story for Veterans Day. I told her that I would agree to the interview providing that the emphasis would be placed on the 517th PRCT and the website. She agreed and with the short amount of time she spent with me wrote  an excellent article which I was pleased with because of the publicity for the 517. WWII vet’s web site helps the 517th stay connected
Mail Call                                  Ben 517@AOL.COM

Reunions           Florida Snowbird Mini-Reunion      January 21 - 25
 2007                  Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion    April 15 - 20
                            Washington, DC  National              June 27 - July 2

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

1944

Boom Boom Alicki

                                            Christmas 1944
Remember!  At the fall of Manhay to the German 2nd Panzer Division on CHRISTMAS EVE when General Ridgeway turned to his Corp reserves the 517th PRCT at Ferrieres.  The call came on CHRISTMAS DAY for the 3rd Battalion of the 517th together with the 7th Armored with specific orders of retaking Manhay, and to "Hold at all cost."........THEY DID.
The rest is now history, and General Ridgeway no longer had to put up with demands and directives to retake Manhay.

"Today the village, fixed like a terrace
  On the side of the green mountain where violent winds blow
  Has forever found peace, let us hope forever.
  Manhay "Cost it may," The alarm has sounded.....and the order   has come down-
  Hold at  all costs- "Tenir coute que coute." (From the poem "Manhay" by Emile Pirard.)

Tom McAvoy

I remember the jump in North Carolina for  the movie "Objective Burma" It had been set up for one day and had to be postpond several  several times because of high winds, then finally so we were told that the brass in Hollywood  called Washington  and the jump was set up for the next  day??? and we did jump into a high wind??? With lot and lots of causilties,,   I found the movie about 5 years ago and stilll enjoy watching it???  Tom McAvoy
Mary Jane Hanron

Hi Ben!
How are you?? I just wanted to say “hello” and let you know (you may have already heard) that the article about you and the 517th was picked up by several other papers. I know two it appeared in were The Holbrook Sun and the Norwell Mariner. My editor was planning to offer it to other editors and expected that it might be picked up by several papers around the anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge. I was thrilled it received so much attention and that so many people are learning of the website and the 517th!

I sent Irma’s picture back along with a personal note from me and a copy of the piece from the Cohasset Mariner so she could see how it looked for real. She wrote back to me to tell me that she had received it safely and that she was happy to see the paper. I especially wanted her to see how sweet the section with her comments was and how much having her photo added to the entire story.

I also wrote to tell her a story that might be of interest to you, too. At Thanksgiving, my family went to my brother’s house for dinner (he lives in Wakefield) We were talking about the article (I send all my pieces to my brother on line and he had been particularly interested in that story. Well, his mother-in-law was there too and she was listening to the conversation. She is very interested in WWII stories, too because HER dad (who died at over 100 years old….he was born in Canada but had come to America and became an American citizen and flew the American flag every day of his life) was in the war also but in the South Pacific. She had an aunt (his sister) who had worked in a factory in this country with a woman who had grown up in Belgium and had been a young girl during the Battle of the Bulge. The lady from Belgium had many memories of this time and many stories. Apparently, the Germans had taken over their home as a headquarters but allowed the family to stay there. I guess this family had a grandmother who told the Germans, “OK, but this is my home so at night you must obey my rules!” AND they DID!!! The lady thought the Germans were really scared of the Grandmother!

I wrote this story to Irma, too and she had hears similar stories. I guess some of the Germans were quite decent to the families but others were very mean. I was just so amazed at what a small world it is that a similar story would be told at our dinner table that day. Of course my brother’s children (two boys 11 and 7) were listening and were fascinated. Not only were they learning about history but they were hearing stories about their great grandfather, great aunt, and a conversation among the rest of us about paratroopers and the bravery of the great Americans that they might otherwise have never heard.

I hope this gives you an inkling of how important the work you do is for future generations!!

By the way, I have not forgotten to return your DVD! I have been working as a recruiter at Macy’s and the hiring for the holiday season has been fast and furious! Hopefully I will get there to see you this weekend.

All the best to you and your family,

Mary Jane

Nila Gott

Ben, I wanted to forward this email from Amazon since it is offering WW II books that might interest someone including the book on the 505th parachute.  Although you probably are all aware of it.

Merry Christmas to all!

Nila Gott (Vasquez)

Subject: Save 34% at Amazon.com on "11 Days in December: Christmas at the Bulge, 1944" by Stanley Weintraub

Ardennes-1944