From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2006 7:56 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1231 517TH PRCT - DECEMBER 7, 2006
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

MAIL CALL   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Washington Reunion. Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday July 2

I will be in California and Nevada December 15-30 . I will be able to receive mail but not sure if I can send Mail Call on another computer because of large address book. I will include Battle of The Bulge news and photos in next few Mail Calls.

Mail Call                                  Ben 517@AOL.COM

Reunions           Florida Snowbird Mini-Reunion      January 21 - 25
 2007                  Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion    April 15 - 20
                            Washington, DC  National              June 27 - July 2

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

Today is Pearl Harbor Day. Least we forget, click on the links below-Ben

Tayabas Trenches  -- Straddle Trenches were used as latrines on the details.   Some of the men were so ill from the effects of exposure to rain, hard work, dietary deficiency, and tropical diseases that they fell dead in the trenches.  Lean-tos of nepa palm leaves formed their only shelter.

Of the 325 prisoners who worked on the Tayabas detail, only 50 survived.

Click on the links below to view more images:

||  The Water Line ||  Rules and Regulations  ||
||  His Own  ||  Water Brigade  ||  Ready to Move  ||

A Catalog of the work,  Ben Steele, Prisoner of War is available.
Click Here to Order

Walt Smith

Hello Ben, on this 6th day of December (incidentally, my wife's 83rd Birthday), I just received your # 1230 Mail Call.  We are at this time preparing our Christmas cards and addressing them.  It occurred to me that I have not sent a card recently to Aime Leocard.  My recollection seems to be that he was quite ill but I know not whether he fully recovered.  Do you have info as to whether he is at home or at a rest home.  I need his present address if it is not too difficult in the time you have before your travels to the west.
Whatever, thanks so much, Ben, Have a good trip.
Walt Smith
Michael and Lizy

Hi Ben,
sorry to let you all without news from France and Aimé since a long time, I call him several time and sent him the warmest regards of all his buddy of the 517th, I also had a chat with his son, and he told that unfortunately he lost memory day after day, he promised me to check in his office and give us the informations about him during WWII but i have no reply, I will try again. I personally search and try to ask him info but not at all to put on the web site.
His address is : AIME LEOCARD
CENTRE HOTELIA FREJUS
301, AVENUE ANDREI SAKHAROV
83600 FREJUS . FRANCE
 warmest regards, Mickael and Lizy

Boom Boom Alicki

Reference Mail Call 1227

    If Ron Robinson will send me his mailing address I will be glad to send him a copy of the "Paratrooper's Odyssey" to give to that 517 Prct Veteran.

Boom Boom Alicki
                                                                                ***********
I have sent Ron information about the book "Battling Buzzards" Ben.

Jim Royer

Ben, Received and read the article by Mary Jane Hanron in your local
newspaper. Also the letters from Irma. Your interview was great. It "hit
the nail right on the head."  You were like most of us. We talked little
about the war until later years. I have always been so proud to have
been a member of the greatest fighting unit in WWII, the 517th RPCT. I
too, was no hero, but fought side by side with heroes.
   To all our heroes, A MOST HAPPY AND JOYOUS HOLIDAY SEASON.
                              Jim Royer, Hq Co. 3rd. Bn.

Edith Miller

What a wonderful article about you, Ben.  It is such a great way for all of us to remember the way you all worked together to keep us free.  Many,  many thanks for helping us to relive and be grateful  for all that our soldiers did in those perilous days -- Edith Miller
Howard Hensleigh

Ben:  I want to tell Boom Boom and all others that the 7th armored and no other outfit but the 3rd Bn., less G Co. that guarded Ridgeway's CP, took and held Manhay.  The only tank that came near long after we took the town left in a great hurry 15 minutes after arrival, less the tank commander who spurned a troopers advice to get the hell out of the intersection.  He was cut in half by a Jerry anti tank gun firing down the boulevard as he surveyed the shambles of the town from his turret.  Manhay was the first territory retaken from the Jerries after their attack.  We held it despite several counter attacks and friendly fire from the Air Corps that bombed us killing one trooper and taking the arm of another.  Our buddy Ridgeway never acknowledged our accomplishments despite his take and hold at all costs order, as he thought only airborne divisions such as his beloved 82nd and the 101 could fight.  Love to all,  HH

Tom Stadler

OBIT FROM THE LAKELAND LEDGER LAKELAND FL.
KENNETH "HAL'' HIGGINBOTHAM
ATTACHED TO E CO. FROM SERVICE CO. DECEMBER 1944
36 YEARS IN LAW ENFORCEMENT. ENDED CAREER AS CHIEF INVESTIGATOR FOR STATE ATTORNEY.
BRONZE AND TWO PURPLE HEARTS.
BADLY WOUNDED, REFUSED EVAC. FROM BARRAGE IN BELGIUM. DESPITE HEAVY SNOWFALL AND OBLITERATED ROADS, HIGGINBOTHAM CRAWLED AND CARRIED SUPPLIES BY HAND OVER CONSIDERABLE DISTANCES IN SNOW TO ENSURE HIS CO. NEVER WENT "WITHOUT." RETAINED BULLET IN THE THROAT.
PRECEDED IN DEATH BY HIS WIFE NITA IN 1970.

Darrell Egner

 Dear Ben:

Since you and your Son Bob started Mail Call I have always been in awe of you two for all the work you do to keep the memory of the 517 alive.  It has been my privilege to count you as a very good friend from the day I met you in Florida at a Mini Reunion.  You guys have kept the few of us together that started out in Toccoa, Ga. 63 years ago.  There was no way I ever though you could top what you and Bob do for the 517.

Then you had to shoot me down with the great interview you gave Mary Jane Hanron that was published in various News Papers and in your last Mail Call.  Without a doubt it was the best article I ever read in a news paper.  I read it several times and it brought back memories that have been tucked away since 1944.  How you do it I will never know.

I think it would also be approbate to thank Howard Hensleigh for his efforts in bring the Auxiliary together so that they may carry the memory of the 517 long after most of are gone.

Thank you very much Ben.

Darrell Egner
HQ 2nd

Lory Curtis

Ben,
     Today is Pearl Harbor day and I just wanted to thank everyone of you who fought for our freedoms.  Especially Mr. Alicki, who fought at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.  In the past he had commented about being in the battle at Pearl Harbor, and perhaps he might like to do so again. I know I would very much like to hear about his experiences again.
    Also, thanks to Mr. Tom McAvoy who responded about the jump made for the movie "Operation Burma."  I truly enjoyed reading his comments.
Thanks you,

Lory V. Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ 1st Bn

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben:  On this Pearl Harbor Day we are happy to learn that Mary Jane the author of the article caught a glimpse of the Ben and Bob Barretts from whom we have benefited all these years.   It takes more than a good writer though and the source material, which is excellent, came from you.  You have greatly assisted us in paying tribute to the outfit and those who fell.  In doing so you have honored yourself as well as all who served in the Combat Team.  We continue to wish you the best.  HH