From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2006 7:24 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1232 517TH PRCT -- DECEMBER 10,2006
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

MAIL CALL   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Washington Reunion. Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday July 2

I will be in California and Nevada December 15-30 . I will be able to receive mail but not sure if I can send Mail Call on another computer because of large address book. I will include Battle of The Bulge news and photos in next few Mail Calls.

Mary Jane ,Lovely Newspaper correspondent , visited today and was very pleased with the comments that I received from members about her article  about the 517th and the website.

Mail Call                                  Ben 517@AOL.COM

Reunions           Florida Snowbird Mini-Reunion      January 21 - 25
 2007                  Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion    April 15 - 20
                            Washington, DC  National              June 27 - July 2

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

Arnold and Irma Targnion, Maria Gaspar and the members of US Airborne Reception

Dear Ben, Dear friends of America,
Hoping that this season brings you every happiness for Christmas and the New Year. We shall think of you, of your families and of the US veterans as we shall attend the ceremonies of December in Bastogne (16th) Baugnez/Malmedy (17th) Stavelot (19th) and of course in St Jacques church during the special Mass of Souvenir on 2007 jan 6th, we also pay homage at the 517th monument with flowers in St Jacques, Wanne and Logbiermé, in Rochelinval for 551st.
Best wishes and happy holidays.
Arnold and Irma Targnion, Maria Gaspar and the members of US Airborne Reception Committee - Trois-Ponts Belgium

Mary Jane Hanron (Newspaper Correspondent )

Hi Ben!

How are you?? I just wanted to say “hello” and let you know (you may have already heard) that the article about you and the 517th was picked up by several other papers. I know two it appeared in were The Holbrook Sun and the Norwell Mariner. My editor was planning to offer it to other editors and expected that it might be picked up by several papers around the anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge. I was thrilled it received so much attention and that so many people are learning of the website and the 517th!

I sent Irma’s picture back along with a personal note from me and a copy of the piece from the Cohasset Mariner so she could see how it looked for real. She wrote back to me to tell me that she had received it safely and that she was happy to see the paper. I especially wanted her to see how sweet the section with her comments was and how much having her photo added to the entire story.

I also wrote to tell her a story that might be of interest to you, too. At Thanksgiving, my family went to my brother’s house for dinner (he lives in Wakefield) We were talking about the article (I send all my pieces to my brother on line and he had been particularly interested in that story. Well, his mother-in-law was there too and she was listening to the conversation. She is very interested in WWII stories, too because HER dad (who died at over 100 years old….he was born in Canada but had come to America and became an American citizen and flew the American flag every day of his life) was in the war also but in the South Pacific. She had an aunt (his sister) who had worked in a factory in this country with a woman who had grown up in Belgium and had been a young girl during the Battle of the Bulge. The lady from Belgium had many memories of this time and many stories. Apparently, the Germans had taken over their home as a headquarters but allowed the family to stay there. I guess this family had a grandmother who told the Germans, “OK, but this is my home so at night you must obey my rules!” AND they DID!!! The lady thought the Germans were really scared of the Grandmother!

I wrote this story to Irma, too and she had hears similar stories. I guess some of the Germans were quite decent to the families but others were very mean. I was just so amazed at what a small world it is that a similar story would be told at our dinner table that day. Of course my brother’s children (two boys 11 and 7) were listening and were fascinated. Not only were they learning about history but they were hearing stories about their great grandfather, great aunt, and a conversation among the rest of us about paratroopers and the bravery of the great Americans that they might otherwise have never heard.

I hope this gives you an inkling of how important the work you do is for future generations!!

All the best to you and your family,

Mary Jane.

Boom Boom Alicki

                       A CHRISTMAS PRAYER

     Let us pray that strength and courage abundant be given to all who work for a world of reason and understanding.
     That the good that lies in every man's heart may day by day be magnified.
     That men will come to see more clearly not that which divides them, but that which unites them.
     That each hour may bring us closer to a final victory, not of nation over nation, but of man over his own evils and weaknesses.
     That the true spirit of this Christmas Season- its joy, its beauty, its hope, and above all its abiding faith may live among us.
     That the blessing of peace be ours- the peace to build and grow, to live in harmony and sympathy with others, and to plan for the future with confidence.

Wayne Cross

Ben I thought the article you contributed to about the 517th PRCT was terrific.  I think the author of the article caught the spirit of the troopers who comprise this amazing Regiment but it also reflects  on the selflessness and camaraderie of this unique group of brothers-in-arms.  The work you and Bob have done has contributed significantly to the ties that bind you together as an organization but also has contributed to the education of those of us that only knew the story through a narrow field of vision.  The site has inspired me to  learn more about the the battles fought by the 517th and helps broaden my perspective of the war and the sacrifices of units like the 517th, who have not received the full measure of recognition they deserve.  It is also a lesson in how selective and narrow a view of history can evolve unless your stories are told and preserved.

"Lucky" Hiers

Ben, from the Mail Call of 12-6 we tried to find a paper with the interview with you that was conducted by Mary Jane Hanron.   I tried several links ... but have grown discouraged!!

We join the chorus of the many voices who want to say thank you for having the foresight to get the 517th organized once again into the cohesive group that we are beginning to be familiar with.  We know your son was involved also and that others have probably been of service to you.  IF so, let them know how appreciated Mail Call is and how much my wife and I are looking forward to our first 517th reunion.

Just another old buzzard ...
"Lucky" Hiers
                                                             *********
I gave Lucky the link and received this.-
Ben

Tom Reber

Dear Ben,

Wonderful article, interview and message with your local newspaper.  You do a tremendous job and I appreciate you spirit and dedication.  Enjoy your holiday visit.  I will be in CA the week before you are.  Just missed!

Happy holidays to all!

Tom Reber
son of Lt. Bob Reber, HQ 3rd Bn.

Lucky Hiers

Good morning, Ben:

The following has a brief note from our son who is a Maj. in the Army.  He does have his paratrooper wings, but that was because he chose to take than training when he was "rewarded"  to  have "extra" due to some fine class work he did years ago. He has never been active with any Paratroop Unit as far as I know, but he is still proud of his wings.

YOU PROBABLY ALREADY KNOW  the link that he put into his Email to me.  I am going to go check it out right now.

Trooper Lucky