From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 7:43 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1233 517TH PRCT-DECEMBER 11, 2006
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

MAIL CALL   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Washington Reunion. Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday July 2

I will be in California and Nevada December 15-30 . I will be able to receive mail but not sure if I can send Mail Call on another computer because of large address book. I will include Battle of The Bulge news and photos in next few Mail Calls.

I have in this Mail Call  a "Merry Christmas" letter from General McAullife to the troops under his command  at Bastogne in December 1944.
The 517th was not at Bastogne but Merle McMorrow,our past president, editor of The Thunderbolt  and savior of the 517th Assn. was there with the 463.

Mail Call                                  Ben 517@AOL.COM

Reunions           Florida Snowbird Mini-Reunion      January 21 - 25
 2007                  Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion    April 15 - 20
                            Washington, DC  National              June 27 - July 2

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiullary and an enrollment form
Nancy Steinfurth

Hi, Ben.  I missed the original link to the Mary Jane Hanron article and am unable to find it through Google.  It takes me to townonline.com but then dead-ends.  Would you send the link?  I'll print the article for my father, Karl.  Thanks,

It's been a tough couple of years.  Dad developed lung cancer January 2005 and has been battling it ever since (Stage IV) with chemo.  Then, he had surgery on both his eye lids in May 2006 - they were drooping down so far he was having trouble seeing.  Finally, he broke his hip in July and was in the hospital for two weeks and then bed rest or wheelchair for at least 12 weeks after that.  He's a tough bird, though, and his goal is to see his grandson Jeff graduate from college in May 2007.  Then, he wants to see Jeff or Aaron (his brother) get married - they both have said that could be many years away!

Will there be more planned activities for the Washington, D.C. reunion?  We're thinking of coming.  Hope you're well and will enjoy your trip to Nevada.  Best wishes for the holidays.

Nancy

Excellent!  I knew there must be something in the works.  Thank you and your son for all of your hard work.  It really is a pleasure to "meet" and learn about so many interesting patriots.

Nancy

Tom Cross

Mary Jane Hanron -  Our New 517th PRCT Newspaper Lady Trooper

 Ben:
    Thoroughly enjoyed Mary Jane  Hanron's article. Who was the young 517th Trooper in the photo? Looks sort of familiar.
    It is nice to see the younger generation taking an interest in who we are and what we did.
Regards, Tom
Chris Lindner

Hi Ben:

Could I please have the link to the article that everyone is talking about where you were interviewed and in the newspaper?

I am going to St. Louis in the morning and I'll be back Friday but I would like to read this article.

Thanks,

Chris

Ray Hess

Thanks Ben! very interesting  Less I forget-Here's wishing you, Bob, and your entire Family HAPPY HOLIDAYS. That wish also goes for the entire 517th veterans.

1994 50th anniversary poster

BATTLE of the BULGE

50 years ago, in September 44, after four years of occupation the
Belgian people rejoiced as they welcomed their liberators.

But a few months later, in December 44, the celebrations were
abruptly interrupted by a large - scale german offensive.

In 1994 we commemorated the 50th Anniversary of the passed
events and the G.I. of the lithography was the symbol of the Battle
of the Bulge commemorations:
the snow, is a reminder of the tough weather conditions during the
'44 winter, and the green firs represent the woods of the Ardennes.

In the background, the American flag is proudly floating,
triumphant, after the terrible fight, the rip and tears symbolize the
roughness of the battle.

In the lower part of the poster, the Nazi flag is trampled down by a
determined G.I. walking in the tracks left by a tank.

This lone soldier may be a relative, perhaps a son or a friend who
is courageously showing us, step by step, the way to freedom and
victory.______________________________________________________

Lettre du Général McAuliffe datée du 24 decembre 1944 :
general Mcauliffe’s letter, dated December 24, 1944
" Merry Christmas "

Headquarters 101st Airborne Division
Office of the Division Commander - 24 December 1944

What's Merry about all this, you ask ? We are fighting - it's cold, we are not home. All true but what has the proud Eagle Division accomplished with its worthy comrades of the 10th Armored Division, the 705th Destroyer Battalion and all the rest ? Just this: We have stopped cold everything that has been thrown at us from the North, East, South and West. We have identifications from four German Panzer Divisions, two German Infantry Divisions and one German Parachute Division. These units spearheading the last desperate German lunge, were headed straight West for key points when
the Eagle Division was hurriedly ordered to stem the advance. How effectively this was done will be written in History; not alone in our Division's glorious History but in World History. The Germans actually did surround us,
their radios blared our doom. Their Commander demanded our surrender in the following impudent arrogance.

December 22nd 1944

To the U.S.A. Commander of the encircled town of Bastogne,

The fortune of war is changing, This time the U.S.A. forces in and near Bastogne have been encircled by strong German armored units. More German armored units have crossed the river Ourthe near Ortheuville, have taken
Marche and reached St. Hubert by passing through Hompré-Sibret-Tillet. Libramont is in German hands.
There is only one possibility to save the encircled U.S.A. Troops from total annihilation: that is honorable surrender of the encircled town. In order to think it over a term of two hours will be granted beginning with
the presentation of this note. If this proposal should be rejected, one German Artillery Corps and six
heavy A.A. Battalions are ready to annihilate the U.S.A. Troops in and near Bastogne. The order for firing will be given immediately after this two hour's term.
All the serious civilian losses caused by this Artillery fire would not correspond will the well known American humanity.

The German Commander

The German Commander received the following reply:

"To the German Commander:
N U T S !

The American Commander

Allied Troops are counterattacking in Force. We continue to hold Bastogne. By holding Bastogne, we assure the success of the Allied Armies. We know that our Division Commander, General Taylor, will say: " Well done !" We are giving our Country and our loved ones at home a worthy Christmas present and being privileged to take part in this gallant feat of arms are truly making for ourselves a Merry Christmas.

(signed)
McAuliffe,

Commanding.