From: ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2006 9:00 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1236 517TH PRCT-12-22-06
 Part of mail call.  We'll send more later

Bob Christie

To all my 517th Family, Mildred had her surgery and came through with flying colors. They cut out all the cancer and she hopes to be home tomorrow. Thanks for all your prayers on her behalf. Hope to see all in Kissimmee. Merry Christmas to all. Incidentally, she had her surgery on Dec. 11, my birthday!

Ben, Bob and all the great Americans 517th troopers and you family.  My best wishes for a Blessed Christmas and a New Year that fulfills all the wishes you have for it.  Once again I want to thank all you great troopers for you service to our country.  You can all feel very proud that you were the finest men to ever pull on a pair of jump boots and important members of the best airborne outfit in the army.  On a personal note you are always in the front rank of my respect and admiration and occupy a special place in my memories.  Airborne all the way.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all our friends in the 517th family. We think of you all often and hope your are having a happy holiday season.
The Gary Davis family
Hi Ben,           Just a great big

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR

   to the BARRETT'S   and   ALL  the 517  GANG
Mark&Rita Baird
    Got your email and I hope you are having a wonderful time visiting your
family in the West.  I would not recommend coming to Salt Lake City today.  It
is 8 degrees this morning with a high of 25 degrees.  We will definitely have a
white Christmas here.  I am excited for the first time to have all of my 5
children home along with  8 grandchildren for Christmas.  Usually all of them
cannot make it home at the same time, so this will be a real treat.
     I was reading over my Dad's Christmas letter to his Mom written from
Stavelot, Belgium on Thursday December 29, 1944.  It is a very interesting
letter in what he told his mom on that day.  Maybe some folks would be
interested in reading it.  Here it is.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to
all from the Curtis Family.

Lory V. Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st Bn

Letter to Mom from Harland L. Curtis
Somewhere in Belgium later determined to be Stavelot
Thursday December 29, 1944, postmarked January 24, 1945

Dear Mom,
    This is the first chance I’ve had to write you for sometime and I’m afraid
for a while now my letters are going to be few and far between, so try to
understand that it isn’t my fault.
    I’m not going to tell you anything about these past few days because you
would only worry about me and I don’t want you to do that.  I’ll tell you about
it after it is all over, but for now all I’ll say is that I’m up front fighting
here in Belgium and it is plenty cold
      Right now I’m a little ways back from the front lines (in Stavelot
Belgium) and I am in a big mansion just like you’ve seen in the picture shows.
I am in one of the big rooms and I am warm and even have a radio sitting in
front of me listening to a broadcast from England, so I am enjoying myself while
I can.  Yesterday I had on e of the fellows that use to live on a farm get me a
whole canteen cup of milk out of a real live cow.  Boy, it was good just like
when I was back in Payson and Uncle Willis (Bud’s father’s brother) milked that
old cow of Ma’s (Bud’s paternal grandmother).
    The clipping you sent me was about our outfit, but I’m a long ways from
there now.  I came all the way across France in one of those 40 and 8 box cars
(train) you heard about in the last war.  You won’t find much about the 517th by
looking for news in the paper because we are a “Combat Team” and wherever there
is some place they need good men fast that is where we go.  We have been
attached to almost every Army over here at different times.
    The reason we don’t get much rest is because we are a good outfit and all
the time someone is needing us.  There is nothing we can’t do, but you people
won’t read about it because we aren’t a big enough outfit to make front page
headlines.
    I was sure thinking a lot about you people at Christmas and wondering what
you were doing and if maybe you were thinking about me that day while I was
ducking bullets and shells, and if there would ever be a time when we could all
be home for Christmas together again.  I saw a lot of guys that day both ours
and the Krauts that will never see another Christmas, and all I could do was
pray to God that it wasn’t my time to go, and I guess it wasn’t cause here I am.
I’ll never forget this Christmas as long as I do live, and you will never know
how glad I am that this war is being fought in these countries and not in ours
and I’m glad that you people there will never have to see some of the awful
things I have, but I don’t even want to think of them so I’ll drop the subject.
    I’m going to heat me up something to eat now so I’ll say so long for now,
and I hope some more mail comes in tonight.  It is sure swell to get mail from
home so keep it coming.  Oh yes, I got two packages from you just before I left
that last area (censorship would prevent Bud from telling his mother exactly
where he was in case the Germans intercepted his letters home.  Each of his
letters were opened by Army mail personnel and screened before they were sent
out). To come up here in Belgium.  Thanks a lot for them they sure tasted good.
Believe it or not I ate that whole can of pineapple and fruit cake laying on the
ground with machine gun bullets whizzing only about 6 inches over my head.  I
figured at least I was going to eat that instead of some darn Kraut, come what
may.  Send some more when you can and some cookies and candy.
    Lots of Love
    Bud

Hi Ben,           Just a great big

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR

   to the BARRETT'S   and   ALL  the 517  GANG
Mark&Rita Baird
Ben, you astonish me with all you do. God Bless you, you even
took the time to send us a Christmas card. I am somewhat a
little handicapped with my back (spinal stenosis) and Joe has
some problems which we hope will be resolved.
May you have a very healthy year! Best wishes to you and yours.
Fondly,
Marie-Louise Spencer