From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2006 7:47 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1240- 517 PRCT.--DECEMBER 31, 2006
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

MAIL CALL   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Washington Reunion. Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday July 2

I arrived back home this AM and am now on a computer that most of the time understands me. May have missed some mail, may have sent some twice.. This is the last Mail Call for 2006.

A highlight of West Coast  journey was a visit with Howard Hensleigh who recently moved to Petulma, CA.  We met his wonderful family, daughter Susan and her husband Dan and their six children. Howard is recovering from pneumonia but looks fine and is upbeat as usual .

Mail Call                                  Ben 517@AOL.COM

Reunions           Florida Snowbird Mini-Reunion      January 21 - 25
 2007                  Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion    April 15 - 20

                            Washington, DC  National              June 27 - July 2

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

Bob Dalrymple

Click here: New Year Wishes

William Slayden Johnson

I am the grand son of the late Col. William Pencak and wanted to inform you
of his passing. He frequented you site often and was extremely honored to be
a part of the 517th.

Thank you,
William Slayden Johnson
Merle Traver

  Happy New Year to all!  Myrle Traver, F Co.  Hello Ben, received your email from Dublin loud and clear.

Shirley McCarey

Howdy Ben ---

To you, and all the rest of the 517th --- H A P P Y   N E W   Y E A R !!!!!

Shirley McCarey
Friend of the 517th

Ronald Stassen

Hello,

I adopted the grave from Capt. Woodhull who's buried at War Cemetery Margraten.

I found lots of information on your website.

Hopefully some of his old buddies are still alive and kicking.

Maybe some of you can provide me with additional information.

 Kind regards

 Ronald

Ronald@band-of-brothers.nl

www.band-of-brothers.nl

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ronald:  Thank you for your devotion to one of the finest men that ever walked the face of the globe.  I am expecting a visit from Ben Barrett in a few minutes so this will be shorter than I would like.  Is it possible for you to contact our (517th) Mail Call ?  The cemetery and other items about Woody are posted there.  You are now in my address book and I will keep in touch.  With warm regards for a splendid 2007.  Howard Hensleigh

Bob Barrett

I added a couple more things to the web site:
  1. Photo of Donald Chaulk and friends, HQ Co, 3rd Bn

  2. I added a bio for Allan Goodman under “Meet the Troopers”

  3. Christophe and Alain Fine sent in 2 videos from the 2006 Commemoration of Col de Braus, dedicated to Floyd Polk

 Note:  The videos are large.  You will need a fast connection.

 Bob

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ronald:

A mistake was made on Woodie's (Robert Woodhull's) stone; he was never in the 101st.  Woodie and the 460th became part of the 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team after Tennessee maneuvers in early 1944.  This took place in Camp Mackall, NC.  We were never part of the 101st.  All of our fighting in Europe was as a separate Regimental Combat Team.  As 5th Army troops we fought in Italy in the Rome Arno campaign, but were pulled out of 5th Army after a sweep up the Italian "boot" to near the Po Valley.  We were the largest element in the First Airborne Task Force, under General Frederick, which was formed to invade Southern France on August 15, 1944, in Operation Dragoon.  Although widely scattered in the night jump, we formed a cover for the seaborne invasion which landed without opposition due to our efforts.  As the ground forces drove North, The Task Force was assigned the mission of holding the right flank and driving the axis forces back into Italy.  Although there was heavy fighting for each mountain ridge, we had the pleasant task of liberating the Riviera and some newsmen called it the "Champaign Campaign".  We completed this mission in early November 1944 ending up in Sospel, France and then went to northern France by rail in 40 and 8s (box cars with straw on the floor) for what was to be the "winter offensive" after Christmas.  As you know the Germans beat us to it attacking in what was called the Bulge on the 16th of December, 1944.

Woodie was promoted from 1st Lt. to Captain in Southern France and was assigned to the 3rd Battalion 517th Parachute Infantry as artillery liaison officer, where I was the S-2 (Intelligence).  He and his radio man, Herb Jeff, (who passed away recently) accompanied us on all our patrols which we performed 2 or 3 times a week during the 90 days we were on the lines in S. France.  We worked as a team and Woodie would call in artillery to take care of targets of opportunity, to slow down enemy forces who were coming after us when we got too deep into enemy territory, and to destroy targets we spotted after we made it back inside our own lines.  He was a graduate of Princeton University and we shared many discussions on the War strategy in general as well as our personal objectives in life.  We were all a band of brothers, but in addition he was a strong personal friend.

After turning the Bulge inside out, the bloodiest combat we faced was in Bergstein, Germany where we were given a diversionary attack order (an attack in one direction to fool the enemy when the main attack is coming from another).  Woodie was killed by a burst of machine gun fire in that attack right beside me as we were directing artillery fire in support of our attacking troops.  Question could be raised as to whether we were too far forward, but that is where we always were so that we could know what was going on in the attack and support the troopers who were taking the ground.

I remember him frequently, not just on Memorial Day, and am gratified that a good resident of the Netherlands (are there any other kind?) has adopted his grave.  Although I find the name Woodhull as one of the fighters in our Revolution in the Book "1776", Herb Jeff told me that Woodie was the last of his family line, one of the great losses from WWII.

We express out appreciation from the entire 517th Combat Team for honoring one of our finest fallen brothers.  Howard Hensleigh

Dennis Sura
Holiday greetings from Dennis Sura, son of Corporal Michael A.. Sura 3rd Battalion, H Company, 3rd Platoon, 2nd Squad 517th PCT.  Wounded 2/6/45 with Dick Huggler in Germany.  I plan on attending the reunion to meet and greet dad's comrades in DC this Summer.  We lost dad on 11/27/83 but I still carry many of his stories that I can't wait to share along with pictures.

Dennis Sura

Kent Immerfall

Ben, and all who knew and lost loved ones near Manhay, Belgium, sixty-two years ago today...  As our memories of this past Christmas wane, may we NEVER forget the brave soldiers and band of brothers who gave their full measure.  I am so grateful for this website and the continued efforts of so many to keep the legacy of this Parachute Regiment alive ... forever.  Kenton Floyd Immerfall
Message received Dec. 27- Ben

Karl Locker

PLEASE NOTE MY NEW EMAIL ADDRESS: karl@lockercpa.com

Karl A. Locker, CPA, P.C.