From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 8:53 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1249 517TH PRCT-JANUARY 14,2006
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

MAIL CALL   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Washington Reunion. Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday July 2 .

Banquet at Kissimmee Reunion. Wednesday, January 24

Jansson Bertil , B Co., was seriously hurt when struck my a car. He was planning on attending his first reunion in Washington

I will soon have copies of the 517 Morning Reports.

Mail Call                                  Ben 517@AOL.COM

Reunions           Florida Snowbird Mini-Reunion      January 21 - 25
 2007                  Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion    April 15 - 20

                            Washington, DC  National              June 27 - July 2

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

John Alicki

Indeed this Mail Call No. 1247- January 12, 2007 was an honor to receive.

My sincere thanks to Ben Barrett,  Bob Barrett,  John Buchalski,  Tom McAvoy,  Mary Jane Hanron of Cohasset Mariner,  Nila Gott,  Robert Kennedy, Bill Boyle, Myrtle Traver,  Kathy McIntosh & Jesse Davis,  Walter Smith, Pat Seitz & Alan Greer,  Virginia Jorgen,  Ray Hess,  Darrell Egner, Ronal Stassen, Tom Cross and others for being so thoughtful and to remember.

"GOOD THOUGHTS ARE BLESSED GUESTS, AND SHOULD BE WHOLE HEARTEDLY WELCOMED, WELL FED, AND MUCH SOUGHT AFTER.  LIKE ROSE LEAVES THEY GIVE OUT A SWEET SMELL IF LAID UP IN THE JAR OF MEMORY."

Boom Boom Alicki

Add  these names to list published in Mail Call No. 1248:  Dick Seitz,  Mickael & Eric, and Dalla & Jerri Long.

Also change my email address to boomboomalicki@aol.com. The one I gave you is not coming thru like I thought it would.  Also thank you for your telephone call I really enjoyed hearing from an old 517th Paratrooper like you.

Claire Giblin

Hi, Ben -

I wanted to let everyone know that Dad (Allan Johnson, 596) and I just returned from a visit to the Doubletree in Washington, DC today.  We spent a lot of time there, toured the facility, saw the guest rooms, and had lunch.

This is a wonderful facility for our reunion.  They tell us that they host military reunions throughout the year.

The hospitality room is on the top floor; if we go out on the balcony (a step up), we can see the Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial.  The Pentagon is out another set of windows.   The revolving rooftop bar has the best view of Washington; the lobby bar is open daily as well.   The food in the restaurant was very good, and the staff most helpful.   There is also a coffee bar open all day.

The guest rooms were renovated about a year ago.  Beds are newer and comfy; there are down comforters in each closet.  Each bed has at least five pillows.  There are 22 handicapped-accessible rooms, including 3 with wheelchair roll-in showers.  Those roll-in showers have fold-down seats as well.   There are coffeemakers in each room, and refrigerators are available (probably for a charge; those with medical needs do have priority).   Each room has two phones and wireless internet access as well; hair dryers and irons/ironing boards are also in each room.

The Metro is a short walk away, located in the Pentagon City Fashion Mall.  Guests and family can ride the Metro line right into Washington.  Though attractions are often free in Washington, parking can be a bear!  Using the Metro will be ideal for those who are able; the hotel offers complimentary shuttle service to the Metro stop/Fashion Mall as well.

The hotel also provides complimentary shuttle service to and from Reagan National Airport.  Our contact today told us that fares can be a bit higher ($20-$30) to go into Reagan (as opposed to Dulles), but paying for shuttle service can run $30/person.

You can visit the hotel by clicking on:

http://www.doubletree.com/en/dt/hotels/index.jhtml?moreDesc=true&ctyhocn=DCAAEDT&adId=Thayer,DCAAEDT

(and Ben, please make sure that link is working!).   The pictures really do show how nice the hotel is.

Watch for the registration form, which should be ready shortly.  We are so looking forward to hosting our veterans and their families in our nation's capital!  It really does make you proud just to be there.

My love to you and Miss Fran -

Claire

Chris Lindner

Hi Ben:

I wanted to with BOOM BOOM ALICKI A VERY HAPPY 90TH BIRTHDAY.

Chris Lindner

Claire Giblin

Oh, good grief!  Please, EVERYONE, check my math!  I talked to Ben earlier today, and came up with a figure $20 higher!  Please, everyone, make sure I'm not making a mistake here, either in math, or forgetting something, or in calling something the wrong number, or not allowing enough!

Good evening, Donna -

Here we go:

The registration fee will be $79.  This will include:

$12. AFRI

$36. dinner

$19. breakfast for the meetings

$7. hospitality suite fee (toward the food and drink; we'll also have an honor bar).  Helen allowed $5 and suggested $7.50.

$5. or so toward souvenir-remembrance-type gifts

Grand total: $79.

Steve Merkle

I have something new to share...

 Thanks to Mickey Moses and the Jim Moses family, We now have a full scan of the group picture of the 596 Parachute Combat Engineering Team that dad and Jim Moses was a part of in WWII. The photo has been cleaned up and revived by using some of the modern tools available to us, and we are extremely proud to share the results with all. There are a total of 3 scans that are available for download;

1st scan =  http://www.markleweb.com/wwii/images/596small.jpg     (smallest file / 450x108 pixels / 82 kb)  suitable for thumbnail viewing

2nd scan = http://www.markleweb.com/wwii/images/596Web.jpg      (Intermediate scan / 2518x604 pixels / 918kb) suitable for computer viewing/general use and smaller scale printouts.

3rd scan = http://www.markleweb.com/wwii/596large.jpg       (HUGE. Bit copy / 10073x2417 / 11.2mb) suitable for reproductions.

All information is repeated in my blog at www.markleweb.com. Links to the small and web versions will be permanently maintained at www.markleweb.com/wwii . I have also added a link to the 517 site at www.517prct.org there. If you haven't checked them out, do so. They provide a wealth of information on what our dad did during the war.... not necessarilly "light" reading, but well worth it.

My next project will be to link a list of names that I have to go along with the photo .... all but 6 people are identified.

Please forward on to all interested.

-Steve-

PS... If you have trouble finding him..... Dad is the 3rd guy from the right in the 4th row.