From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 8:27 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CA.LL NO. 1250 517TH PRCT- JANUARY
Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

MAIL CALL   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3  <-- Click on

Washington Reunion. Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday July 2 .

Banquet at Kissimmee Reunion. Wednesday, January 24

Mail Call                                  Ben 517@AOL.COM

Reunions           Florida Snowbird Mini-Reunion      January 21 - 25
 2007                  Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion    April 15 - 20

                            Washington, DC  National              June 27 - July 2

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

Textbook: The Capture of Hunnange  General Richard Seitz

Bill Christian

Ben, Yesterday I received a call from Ida Shankman informing me that Ben had passed away in December and she had no idea how to notify any of his 517 th trooper friends.  With her permission I said I would notify you of the passing and assured her that she could expect some correspondence after the posting.  After our conversation it was obvious Ida needs some old friends to call.  She is expecting to attend the April reunion.  Thanks Bill Christian     Her address is 1826 Sonora Rd. Palm Springs Ca 92264 Phone760 322 6605
Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben:

My hat is off to Boom Boom Alicki for many reasons, most recently his becoming the 517th wise man with many interesting sayings to be taken to heart by all of us.  That he survived Pearl Harbor, our five major battles and 90 years is a tribute to his mental and physical faculties.  However, he had a lighter side, or he and Mel Zais were talked into it by Russ Johnson and Dick Spencer when Boom Boom arrested Lt. McElroy for having a WAC in his room on the Santa Rosa.  When Mel intercepted them on the way to the ship's captain for appropriate disciplinary action, and returned the culprit and Boom Boom to Mac's "state room" for further investigation, the WAC turned out to be Dick dressed to the hilt for the hilarious occasion.

BOOM BOOM, MAY YOU LIVE ANOTHER 90 YEARS AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORKS OF YOUR LIFETIME.  Howard Hensleigh

Another facet of Chuck Boyer's life, when he was first sgt. pvt. or pfc., was that he always assisted Father Guinette (sp?) in church services in the field or in the more formal setting in Camp Mackall.  He never missed.  Finding Chuck's field glass case was a real find.  He took such good care of his equipment that he must have lost it in a fire fight.  My guess is that he salvaged the field glasses.  HH

Another man in Sgt. Chaulk's picture, Jim Kichen, may not have been in Hq. 3rd.  After we reached our 13th and final phase line in the attack south of Stavelot, Belgium, Sgt. Kichen who headed a G Co. squad was given the mission of accompanying me and my S-2 men, George Meline and Ray Scrugs, to make contact with the 75th and 30th Divisions which were supposed to be at that phase line, on our right and left, but were nowhere to be found.   The 30th was about half was there and the 75th had not crossed the line of departure.  In the black of night, Kichen's southern accent got us into G Co. lines without the password which had changed at midnight.  HH

Merle McMorrow

Dear Ben:

I would like to convey belated birthday greetings to Boom Boom for his 90th birthday.

After a long 3 day train ride from Minnesota to Camp Toccoa, he was the first person I met when I stepped off the train.  I would like him to know all is forgiven.

              Merle W. Mc Morrow

 Steve Markle

http://www.markleweb.com/wwii/596large.jpg  Click on this link for a great photo of 596