From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007 9:53 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1251 517TH PRCT - JANUARY 19, 2007

Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

MAIL CALL   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Washington Reunion. Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday July 2 .

Banquet at Kissimmee Reunion. Wednesday, January 24

I have just received the Morning Reports and General Orders  for the 517. These cover the years 1944-45. It will take some time to index them all but when I have done so, I will be able to let anyone know what  their company was involved with on any date during the war years. I will be able to inform you whether you were WIA or AWOL on a certain date. I hope to bring the Casualty Reports up to date. However, there will be months of work before I have everything in order. Some are difficult to read since they are copies from  microfilm.  I have also received Chronicles and other news items.

 Some Quotes from the Chronicles:

Berlin Sally  "You men of Five-Seventeen are much better than we anticipated. You are foolhardy***You will lose many men !

Major General Fred L. Walker 36th Infantry Division, commended the Combat Team  for their part "in inflicting  on the Wehrmacht, the worst defeat in the history of the German Army"
                                                            **********
I hope to have Registration Forms for the Washington Reunion in Tomorrows Mail Call.

I leave Sunday for the Florida Reunion and therefore future Mail Calls will have to wait until I return.

Mail Call                                  Ben 517@AOL.COM

Reunions           Florida Snowbird Mini-Reunion      January 21 - 25
 2007                  Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion    April 15 - 20

                            Washington, DC  National              June 27 - July 2

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

 Helen Beddow

Hal and I are sorry to hear of the death of Ben Shankman.  We offer our condolences to Ida.  Hal and I went to our first 517th Reunion in Columbus, GA and as luck would have it, we were in the "other hotel" down the street from the main event.  When we walked into the Hospitality Room, and knew absolutely no one, it was rather scary.  We just happened to meet Ben and Ida, and they took us under their wing, introducing us to other people.  Their hospitality and laughter meant a lot to Hal and myself.  Thanks to Ben and Ida, as well as Glen and Marguarite Hunt, we got to meet many wonderful people.  It was a fantastic way to start our journey with the 517th.  Farewell, Ben, and the very best to Ida.

Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

  Dear Ben:
    As always, you are so thoughtful.  Thank you for including in Mail Call No 1250 the link to "The Capture of Hunnange."  Not only are we at the battle's 62 anniversary, but also Dad is visiting us on his way to the Florida mini-reunion, so its publication gave us a chance to talk about the action as well as recall our visit with him to the battle site in 2005.
    Sincerely,
    Pat Seitz and Alan Greer
Myrle Traver

Thanks Ben for sending Gen. Seitz article.  Am having trouble with copying from the links.  Thanks again.   Myrle Traver

 The Schmidt Bergstein Attack - Jan-Feb 1945 by Myrle Travers, F Co.

Bob Barrett
Dad,

 You probably have plenty of books about the Battle of the Bulge, but there is a new one out recently:

 11 Days in December: Christmas at the Bulge, 1944 (Hardcover)
by
Stanley Weintraub

             http://www.amazon.com/11-Days-December-Christmas-Bulge/dp/074328710X