From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 4:22 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL 1253 517TH PRCT-JANUARY 26, 2007

Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

MAIL CALL   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Washington Reunion. Early Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday  July 2

Mail Call                                  Ben 517@AOL.COM

Reunions 2007:
                            Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion             April 15 - 20

                            Washington, DC National Reunion   June 27 - July 2

Click on these Links for Forms and Information

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

Claire Giblin
Hi, Ben -

We are just back from an excellent reunion in Florida!  Our hosts Leila Webb and Donna Hilliard did a FANTASTIC job, following in Bob Christie's footsteps.  We were so sorry that Bob and Mildred couldn't make it this year, and we hope they'll be able to make Washington in June.  Floyd Polk, who advocated strongly for this reunion, did a lot of work prior to his death, and we are grateful to him for his contribution.  Donna and Marjorie worked tirelessly on the reunion, though they lost their dear Silas so recently.  The reunion was a success and a fitting tribute to our troopers and the memory of those who are no longer with us.

The turnout was good, and the hotel worked well with Donna and Leila (I wasn't there for it, but I hear that a wall of water greeted them when the door opened at the first hospitality suite, so they were moved right away, and Donna and Leila handled all that as well).  Of course, Marjorie Brown was there helping every minute.  The dinner was excellent, and the company marvelous.

Hard to believe but true: troopers are still coming to their first reunions!  Ben Barrett was able to meet his fellow trooper Carpenter; they were injured at the same time, but never met.  The Priests also came, accompanied by their son.  It's great to see the second generation coming out.

Reunion regulars made the trip: Jesse and Lou Darden came, accompanied by their son Tom.  Tom was instrumental in making sure we had a movie offering: we were all able to see a History Channel presentation on the Battle of the Bulge, because Tom's company sent the equipment to make it happen.  Many thanks, Tom!

Always great to see Hal and Helen Beddow, Dick Seitz, Gene Frice, Jack Collins and daughter Susan, and Dorothy MacKenzie.  Irene and Sam Povitch came, and so did Leo Dean.  Leo did a skydive his very first day, as usual.

It was great seeing old friends and making new ones.  As Helen, our Auxiliary president, said at the banquet, it's our wish to keep having reunions as long as any troopers are able to come.  We now look forward to our next reunions:

Palm Springs Mini - coming in April!

Washington, DC - our national reunion in our nation's capital!  We're so looking forward to seeing you there!

Kissimmee Snow Bird Mini - January 2008 - already scheduled!

We had a GREAT time in Florida!  Again, thanks to Donna Hilliard, Leila Webb, and Marjorie Brown!

Claire Giblin

daughter Allan Johnson, 596

Heather Riley

This is in response to the email regarding the passing of Louis Holzworth ( Sarge).    We met at the 2005 Toccoa reunion.  He was an extremely gracious man and we have copies of his photos of his training  at Toccoa and service at his  other military endeavors.  He was there with a lady who was writing his autobiography.  I pray that she continues with her work and will publish it on the 517th site.  He was hoping to meet up with us at the Fl mini, but alas, neither of us could make it.  My condolences  to his family.

 Yours,
Heather Riley

Tom McAvoy

To Kathy McWilliams
I knew your Grandfather well I served in the 517 with him from Toccoa Ga.  (March 23 1943)  on until I was injured in the jump into France 8/15/44,  after the war I moved to Chicago Ill. and went out to see old Sarge at his home , Thought a lot of him.  So So Sorry to hear of his passing,  Thank you for letting us know  Tom McAvoy

Boom Boom Alicki

Good Morning!

I hope today is a wonderful day for you!
Put some tap into your feet and toes ...
click the site below and have a great day!

You may even find yourself whistling this morning!
     I did!!!

http://www.alighthouse.com/goodm.htm

Bob Dalrymple

Dear friends, I plan to be in P Sprgs and DC. FYI, Bob

Jean- Loop Gassend

To Bill Goswick

My name is Jean-Loup Gassend, from southern France,
and I am currently writing an oral history book about
the fighting here.
Your uncle Jesse Goswick was killed during a small
battle that occurred in a small village called St
Cezaire around august 22nd 1944. Four other men from
the 517th were killed in that same attack.
I would like it if you could send me a scan or a copy
of the picture of your uncle so that I can include it
in my book. If that would be possible, you can send it
too me at this address: jean-loup@gassend.com or
schyzowolf@yahoo.fr . My address is
Jean-Loup Gassend
29 avenue des Sources
Villeneuve-Loubet 06270
FRANCE
Maybe it would be also possible for you to put me in
contact with one of your uncle's brothers or sisters
who remembers him, as I would like to interview them,
so that I can have a section of my book showing people
what it was like to have a loved one die so far away.
I also know more details about the battle at St
Cezaire and if you have any questions, you can ask
them to me by email.

About Louis Holzworth, I interviewed him this summer
for my book project, and tried to phone him around
Christmas. I am sad to hear that he passed away, and
that his funeral went unnoticed. He was much more then
a soldier, a true warrior. I am glad I was able to
talk with him before he passed away.

Jean-Loup

Wayne Cross

Ben I have been reading a book about the 551st PIB entitled "Messengers of the Lost Battalion".  Even though I think it is poorly researched and written, it does offer some interesting insights into personalities and the airborne training that was conducted at Camp McCall.  One argument the author seems to make is that some of the enmity between the 517th and the 551st stemmed from the fact that Col. Graves commanded the 551st prior to taking command of the 517th and was not well received by the 551st troopers.  I found this interesting on a number of levels.  First can anyone explain what transpired to cause Lt. Co. Joerg to leave the 551st and then resume command of this outfit after Col. Graves was given the 517th?  In a sense I can understand why he left given the operational condition of that outfit with the many problems they had in terms of discipline, but why would he then be brought back if one assumes he was in part responsible for the condition of the outfit when he left?  By Gregory Orfalea's account, almost 1/3 of the battalion was either AWOL or in the brig when Col. Graves took over command of the outfit.

Offalea also discusses the numerous jump and glider injuries and fatalities at McCall associated with night jumps and glider exercises.  Was this a normal function of developing new tactics and training exercises in an inherently dangerous profession or was it related to negligence or poor planning as Orfalea suggests?  My general sense is that by the time the 551st and 517th were at McCall that the doctrine and training was already institutionalized and repeatable as new Regiments came through.  How much latitude was given to the individual commanders to adapt or modify the exercises and training schedule?  Would love to get some feedback from the people that were there.
Bob Barrett

There is a short reference to Goswick getting shot in the Arterburn letter home:

 http://www.517prct.org/documents/arterburn_war_letter/arterburn_war_letter.htm

 Howard Hensleigh also referred to the incident in Recollections and there are a couple of notes in past MailCalls.

 Bob

Bob Barrett