From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 8:29 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1256 1257 517TH PRCT - FEBRUARY 1, 2007

 70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

MAIL CALL   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Washington Reunion. Early Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday  July 2

Recently Bertil Jansson   B. Co. contacted me concerning the reunion. He has never been to one. I also found out that he is a neighbor of mine.  His sons were planning on taking him to Washington, but he has had a bad accident and is in serious condition.. I would appreciate hearing from anyone  that remembers Bertil or his friend John A. Jackopsic.

Mail Call                                  Ben 517@AOL.COM

Reunions 2007:
                            Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion             April 15 - 20

                            Washington, DC National Reunion   June 27 - July 2

Click on these Links for Forms and Information

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

Recent website additions:
517th Headquarters Signpost
History of the 517th Patch
Soy, Belgium 1944
Videos from Col de Braus - October, 2006
Blue Book Magazine articles - 1947-1948
WWII vet’s web site helps the 517th stay connected

Click on the above links. There is a world of Information about the 517 - Ben
Short Film: Reveille

Rick Sweet

 Hi Ben,
                I hope that you are doing well.  After waiting for at least 7 weeks I still haven't heard from Willie Starnes  so I will try someone else.  Do you have an e-mail or land address for
1. Raymond D. Vanderport
2.Sgt  Fred Harmon
3.Geza Nagy
            I guess a telephone number wouldn't hurt either. I am considering bringing my family to the Washington reunion. I have never been there and it would be a great reason to go. I would like to meet you and others in person. Thanks Ben
 Rick Sweet

Bill Goswick

Ben,
Thanks for sending this info. Do you know how I could get in touch with Sgt. Arterburn's son. Apparently my uncle was at their wedding and they may have a photo.
Thanks, Bill

Dorothy MacKenzie

Ben,
The "mini" was really a MAXI, thanks to Donna and her lovely mother Leila.  It was wonderful to see Hdqs 2nd friends.
The Hospitality Room was a great place to gather, and the food was "outstanding" (as someone we all know, says!).
The banquet was perfect...and now we won't see each other until June 28th.  I've already made my airline reservations for Washington and really look forward to our reunion.  I believe the last one in DC was in 1990.  Am I correct?
Talk to you, soon.
Dorothy MacKenzie

Dorothy Konek
My father received the Thunderbolt newsletter.

It is sad that I must report, Edward Konek, passed away 31 Jan 2007 in Spokane WA. He served in both the 517th and 513th during WWII and was wounded in Belgium on 21 Jan 1945 .

Thank you for any additional information you can supply on his service. This would be comforting to the family.

Sincerely,

Kathy Konek

Daughter of Edward Konek

Your message

  Subject: 517

was not delivered to:

  Donna.Hillard@usdoor.com

because:

  User Donna.Hillard (Donna.Hillard@usdoor.com) not listed in public Name & Address Book

Information about Washington Reunion

[Claire is doing all the hard work - Ben]

Good morning, Donna -

I'm back from our time in Kissimmee, where we started building enthusiasm for our June reunion.  I'm really starting to get excited!

On my end, I am trying to get our heads together to come up with our banquet agenda (specifically, our speakers), as well as get pricing for souvenir/gift items (both to be included in the registration cost and to be available for purchase).  We're also trying to come up with programming for the Auxiliary breakfast - kind of an intro to 517/basic history for children and grandchildren.

We always have an Honor Guard at the final banquet; I am wondering if you have easy access to this service or if I should utilize Association contacts?  We're hoping for a fairly sharp and crisp Honor Guard, and I figure that it shouldn't be too difficult in our nation's capital.  We will be able to pay for the dinners for the Honor Guard, and probably even their spouses.  In my limited experience, they usually work for food.

In addition, tell me what else I should be doing, both at this point and in the future.  I know that we need to obtain food and drink for the hospitality suite (which is a huge ACK!!!, but not until June), firm up plans for stops on the city tour (but past the WWII memorial and the Changing of the Guard, we are really open), and keep publicizing the reunion through Mail Call and perhaps a mailing.

Thank you so much, and have a great day -

 Claire

Hi Claire,
We're already receiving a few registration forms, as a result of the Kissimmee mini.  Where did you all stay by the way?

As far as color guards go - Yes, there are several possibilities in the DC area.  We find it works best though for group contacts to work directly with the units - they seem more receptive to helping veterans rather than a company.  I would suggest contacting Fort Belvoir for an Army Guard.  Other possibilities would be the Marine Baracks - at 8th and I (since we're going to the parade), or Naval District Washington.  I think a search on the internet would generate phone numbers.  I'm just thinking off the top of my head.

As far as anything else you should be doing, I think you're on track w/ nailing down agendas and speakers.  I think I mentioned before that I'll be in touch in early April to go over more of the planning:  special guest activity registrations, hotel set-up requirements for meal functions, financial settlement, complimentary room assignments, etc.

Donna (Armed Forces Reunions event planner )

Peter Jansson

Hi Mr. Barrett:

  Thank you for calling my brother Paul and requesting he have me contact you.  As I said over the phone, Dad is currently at South Shore Hospital, and we hope to get him back to Braintree Rehabilitation Hospital soon. I would very much like, with dad, to attend the reunion in Washington D.C. at the end of June 2007.  I/we are praying he has a full recovery.  I will check this site and my workplace site for any mailcall updates from the 517th.  I hope this site will be easier for you to communicate with to dad and I.  If not, my home phone number is:  508-747-5312.  Thank you for everything Mr. Barrett.  Peter Jansson.

Thank you for everything -- one request please.  After Dad had found out about the 517th reunion and before his recent accident, he specifically asked me if I could find about any information regarding John A. Jackopsic.  Dad really wants to know if there is any way to contact Mr. Jackopsic.  If there is any type of lead, or any way to help Dad contact him or his family, I know he would appreciate it.  I promise to keep you posted on Dad's progress.  Dad and I are looking forward to meeting you at the reunion.  As a youth growing up,  in my memory, Dad never spoke about  his experiences, although, now lately, he has opened up.  The world owes all of you a debt of gratitude Mr. Barrett.  Thank you, Peter Jansson.

Karen Carpenter

I am writing for my father, Paul Carpenter.  He would like to know about dues, how much and who to send them to.

Karen Carpenter
Paul was WIA by the same shell that hit me and fifteen others Jan. 5, 1945 - Ben
Lou and Joyce Scaringi

Hi,   Lou's delighted that he's able to receive all the news at long last!  We had a wonderful time at the reunion and are looking forward to Washington.  Thanks for taking on the tremendous task of Mail Call.             Lou and Joyce Scaringi