From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2007 4:37 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1258 517TH PRCT-FEBRUARY 3, 2007

 70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

MAIL CALL   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Washington Reunion. Early Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday  July 2

Mail Call                                  Ben 517@AOL.COM

Reunions 2007:
                            Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion             April 15 - 20

                            Washington, DC National Reunion   June 27 - July 2

Click on these Links for Forms and Information

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

Recent website additions:
517th Headquarters Signpost
History of the 517th Patch
Soy, Belgium 1944
Videos from Col de Braus - October, 2006
Blue Book Magazine articles - 1947-1948
WWII vet’s web site helps the 517th stay connected

Click on the above links. There is a world of Information about the 517-Ben
Bob Barrett

Doing an internet search, I found a “John Jackopsic” is listed as a “Life Member” at this site, out of Hartford CT.  If you contact them, they might be able to find him.

 http://www.paratrooper.org/members.html

 Warning:  I also ran into another site where people were offering prayers for their Dad, John Jackopsic, who was undergoing cancer treatment in June 2006.  Not clear if it is the same person or where he lives.

 http://www.paratrooper.org/members.html

 Hello Ben:

Yes he did serve with the 517th and he is a life member. Following is the information that we have:

145 Mountain Street
Ellington, CT 06029
TEL: 860-875-9664

Airborne!!

Support

Kathy Konek
Here is the post I did on your website.

Entry of Apr 09, 2004 at 13:47 [EST]
Name: Edward A Konek
Unit: Company D and E
EMail: ontarget400@ yahoo.com
How I found the 517th page: unknown
Comments: I am posting this for my father. He was in Company D for about 1 month, wounded in Belgium in January 1945, and reassigned to Company E when he left the hospital on March 10, 1945. Stayed with Company E until August 1945. If you served with him, please feel to contact Edward at the listed email address. Thanks for all you did.
Discharge papers state:

513th Parachute Inf

Military occupation: Parachute Infantry Unit Commander 1510

Battles and Campaigns: Rome Arno, Rhineland, Ardennes, Central Europe

Decorations: Purple Heart, Victory Medal, European African Middle Eastern Service Medal, American Service Medal

Wounds: Belgium 21 Jan 45

Remarks: Lapel Button Issued, Combat Infantryman

Maybe you can help though. He said he was in the 517th, but his discharge papers say the 513th. He may have been reassigned after he was wounded as he did say something about that.  Any chance in finding out where he really was?

He also went on to serve in Korea and received a Silver Star w/ OLC and a Bronze Medal w/ V. He retired as a Major. Somewhere it states he was a Master Parachutist.

Thanks for your help.

-- Kathy-----------------

I sent Kathy a copy of the Morning Report for Jan. 21, 1945. He was in the 517.--Ben

Bob Barrett

Dad, and Claire,

 Just a thought, but how about Patrick O’Donnell as a speaker at the reunion?  He lives in Virginia, in a close suburb of Washington DC, and makes enough book signings and appearances that I’m sure he could be a good speaker.   I have had authors come and sell and autograph their books.

 http://thedropzone.org/oss/author.asp

General Orders No 38  June 25, 1945  Award of Purple Heart

James Sutcliffe 32070056   PFC Co. H for wounds received  9 Nov. near ******France
Donald Boatright 34766593 Tec.fifth grade Co.G for wounds received in action 9 Sept.  near********France
Dallas L. Long 35004076  Ist Sgt. Hq. Co. 3rd Bn.for wounds received in action 15 Aug  near ********So. France

General Orders No. 37  2 June , 1945  Award of Purple Heart

Frank J. Dallas 33802173 Staff Sgt. Co.I for wounds received in action 27 Dec. 1944 Near ********Belgium
Landrum R Landreth 34652356 Tech Sgt. Co. Efor wounds received in action 21 Jan near *********Belgium

  Subject: Ben Gomez painting.

Ben,

I thought some might like to know that a painting that my dad, CPL Ben Gomez had painted on the wall of the day room of the 460th at Camp Mackall is now on display in the lecture room at the World War Two Airborne Demonstration Team hanger in Frederick, Oklahoma. The painting depicts a team of paratroopers firing a 75MM howitzer. There were several different paintings depicting paratroop operations on the wall board and this one was saved by SGT Joe Sanford who cut it out of the wall and shipped it to his parents back in Texas. This was done in the time between returning from the Tennessee maneuvers and leaving for Italy. Eight years after the war Ben married Joe's sister who gave birth to me! Yes, Joe was my uncle and his parents were my grandparents and I am grateful to them for saving this piece of airborne history.

Steve Gomez

Terry (Birder ) Casey

Dear Ben,
I would like to purchase a second copy of the Paratroopers' Odyssey for
Jim's younger brother for his 80th birthday which we are celebrating the end
of February. I don't wish to part with my own personal copy. Are they still
made available through Bob Christie ? Just need to know if they are still
for sale and for sale through him. Thank you for answering this note. You
and your son are going to have a high place in heaven for all that you are
doing and have done for the 517th. Our trip to Europe in '04 was able to
finally bring closure for me regarding the death of my brother, Jim in '45.
I have you and the 517th website to thank for this.
Fondly,
Terry (Birder) Casey