From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2007 8:07 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1265 517TH PRCT--FEBRUARY 10, 2007
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

MAIL CALL   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

 Hello,

Many requests for information in this Mail Call. Can you help?

Washington Reunion. Early Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday  July 2

Reunions 2007:
                            Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion             April 15 - 20

                            Washington, DC National Reunion   June 27 - July 2

Click on these Links for Forms and Information

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

Trooper Walsh

>>Some time after the 517th shoved off for Europe, my Father, Maj. Gen. Louis A. Walsh Jr...then a Colonel, was ordered to the Philippine theater where he helped plan and execute the Los Banos raid which freed over 2,000 civilians from that concentration camp.

I doubt if Mr. Ben Waldron was imprisoned at Los Banos but all the same hearing Nila Gott describe the loss of Mr. Waldron's WWII journal detailing the atrocities in his Japanese prison camp really touched me. To think Mr. Waldron was able to hide the journal for 3 1/2 years from the Japanese, only to have it lifted in a home invasion by some creeps back in the very homeland he sought to fight for and protect...I can only imagine how he feels right now.   After all Ben Waldron went through in that prison camp I should imagine his journal represented a piece of his own flesh - the one and only piece he was able to protect and keep from the enemy for the duration of his imprisonment.

I offer my respect and thanks to Mr. Waldron for the sacrifice and efforts he gave for his country during a frightening time of need.  And now, as Ben Waldron is in need to recover that special piece of his life I would like to join in the effort to retrieve it.  So for Mr. Ben Waldron, and for the memory of my Father who fought to free men like Mr. Waldron in that same Philippine theater, I would like to add another $500 to the reward for the safe return of his journal.  I would appreciate it if someone would help me to know how to go about this.

Warm Regards...TW<<

Trooper Walsh / Proprietor of ZooGenesis / Purveyor of DragonTails
2393 North Edgewood Street
Arlington, Virginia 22207
Cell: 703.346.4432
twalsh@juno.com

Nila Gott

The Sacramento Bee's contact for Ben Walden's diary is:  Crystal Carreon and her telephone number is ccarreon@sacbee.com
 916 321-1203 or

Yes, it is so sad.  If it is returned, I'll be sure and let everyone know.

Nila
********************
Nila Gott
http://myspot.neteze.com/~ngott
Order my new novel:  Dream Again, Die Again

Tom McAvoy

To Nila Gott   I would like to order your new book" Dream again  Die Again" but did not see away to do it in the last Mail Call.  Tom McAvoy  (Fourdeuces@comcast.net) just let me know how to order it.
Peter Jansson ( Bertil Jansson's  son)

Dear Ben:  Just wanted to let you know that I talked with John Jackopsic today.  He remembers Dad and I promised him I would print out some information from the 517th website.  I told him about the reunion, and he told me he'd like to talk to Dad.  Speaking of Dad, he is still in the critical care unit at Jordan hospital in Plymouth, MA.  We are all praying he can get over the hump with the infection that affects his respiratory abilities.  Thank you so much for all your work in helping me locate Mr. Jackopsic -- I know Dad will be thrilled when I tell him.  Peter Jansson.

Lou Darden

Ben, before the Kissimmee reunion, Lelia (Mrs Bill)
Webb & I tried to get in touch with Bob & Emma Olson.
Their home phone in MI rang & rang & no one answered.
The MI address is their summer address. I do not have their winter address & phone number. If anyone knows their winter information or knows anything about where they might be the can contact me at loujad@sbcglobal.net .
I would really like to know what is going on. Thanks, LOU DARDEN

Tom McAvoy

What a Great Poem Castiglion,  A very similar situation happen to me.  I jumped into France Aug 15, 44.  Due to a drunk Navigator we were dropped 50 miles behind the lines  (instead of the planned 20 miles) at 4 A.M.  Could  not see nothing.  Came down on a huge rock, breaking my back in 5 places,  I could not believe it as I lay there writhing in pain.  I actually said to my self, My God why has thou forsaken me?  I tried to get to a lower level where the rest of our stick (guys) were, had lost my strength and fell backward off the ledge I was on, completely paralyzing me (more injury to my back), but from then on things turned around and I was rescued by the Free  French underground, taken to a village to see a country Dr. ( His crude examination decided I had a very very bad bruise to my back (no x-rays) but would be O.K. in 3 weeks)   6 days later was taken back to the American lines via a stolen German dump truck, after x-rays it was shown I had broken my back in 5 places and was placed in a body cast for 4 months and flown  home ,   At my darkest hour things did turn around Thank God.  Tom McAvoy

Bob Dobbs Jr.

Dear Ben, My father was in the third battalion from the beginning to the end and then

went on to the 82nd in Berlin on points. He was awarded the Bronze star, 2 purple hearts,

and 5 campaign stars. I thought that someone may remember him. My cell phone number is 630-247-9842.

thank you for your website, sincerely Bob Dodds Jr.

Rick Sweet

Hi Ben,

              I took a picture of my dad's headstone and I am confused by it saying he was in the 504th when I know he was in the 517 in Co H.   I know that towards the end of the war they split the 517 up and I have a picture of him stepping off the ship in New York Harbor with a big 517th attack cloth hanging off the side of the ship.  Maybe he started out in the 504th and was transferred to the 517th. He had a veteran's funeral that the govt paid for and had his headstone made to their specs (according to mom) and I have the triangular folded flag that was on his casket.  I wish I could find more easily the history of what he did and where he was at what time.  The more I dig into it the more confused I get.  The 504th sounds like they were a pretty tough outfit also from what little I have read. I finally dropped off the negatives from ww2 that he brought home.  I will have them in two weeks and send them to you.  Maybe I will find some answers there.  Have a good day Ben, and I hope to meet you at the Washington reunion.
                                                                              Rick Sweet

Howard Hensleigh

Note for Michael Wells  -- Your father could have several division patches from his WWII service.  Also, some of us just picked up patches of other units.

The 517th started out as the parachute infantry regiment of the 17th Airborne Division under General Miley. We wore that patch.  We were pulled out and made a Parachute Regimental Combat Team for Italy, Southern France and all of our fighting in the Bulge and Germany which ended at Bergstein.  We never did have an official patch of our own although Dick Spencer's Battling Buzzard has followed us all these years.  In Southern France we were the largest element in the First Airborne Task Force, but we did not wear its patch if it had one.   When we reached Northern France we became 18th Airborne Corps troops under Mat Ridgeway and wore its patch.

Before the the War ended in Europe we were transferred to the 13th Division where we had several missions such as the Rhine crossing that were canceled because of rapid Allied advances.  We wore the 13th Division patch, most of us reluctantly.  The 13th Division that did not see combat resented us almost as much as we resented them.  We went with the 13th to the States on our way to Japan.  The trip to Japan was cut short while we were in the middle of the Atlantic by the Japanese surrender which ended the War.  Before we left France, at Joigny (south of Paris), high point men were given the opportunity to leave the outfit and go to other units.  Some went to the 82nd and some , I'm sure, to the 101st.
We commend you in seeking information on your father's service with us,  Howard Hensleigh

Rick Sweet

Hi Ben, I forgot to ask you...Do you know what  BSM-PH & OLC means? Its on dads headstone..
                    Thanks rick