From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2007 7:20 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1266 517TH PRCT- FEBRUARY 11, 2007

 Hello,

Some days are worse than others. Wasted much of the day trying to convince AOL that there is a clink in their network. My AOL members were not getting my mail, but others were receiving it. All are in my address book. I got fed up with coming to a dead end with AOL and so I took a side street and asked Bob. Problem solved.

Remember if you think that you are not getting Mail Call, just click on www.517prct.org/archives  Bob keeps them up to date as soon as possible after Mail Call is sent out.

Washington Reunion. Early Arrival Wednesday June 27. Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday  July 2

Reunions 2007:
                            Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion             April 15 - 20

                            Washington, DC National Reunion   June 27 - July 2

Click on these Links for Forms and Information

Information and Registration Forms

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

Bill Goswick

 Ben and Mike
Here are a couple of photos that I have of my Uncle Jesse O. Goswick. I was wondering if anyone could tell me who is in the photo with him and where it was taken. If any one has other photos of my uncle I would really appreciate if I could get a copy.
Thanks again,
Bill

Bob Barrett

In answer to Rick Sweet’s question in Mail Call 1265:

 General Medal Abbreviations:

BSM: Bronze Star Medal
DSC: Distinguished Service Cross. The 2nd highest award bestowed on Army personnel.
FR C G: French Croix De Guerre
FR C G / WSGS: French Croix De Guerre With Silver Gilt Star: This award is issued only to individuals at the corps level.
PH: Purple Heart
PH OLC: Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster. A Purple Heart is authorized for the first wound suffered. Each subsequent award is an Oak Leaf Cluster.
PH 2OLC: Purple Heart with two (2) Oak Leaf Clusters.
SS: Silver Star

Rick Sweet

Hi Ben,

        Attached is a copy of my dads, "Odas Sweet " ,Separation Qualification Record " papers.  Also I have discovered that he was with the 504th airborne first and then joined the 517th on Oct 9th 1944 and was with them until June 2nd of 1945. His date of separation was not until Dec 26,1945.I wonder who he was with then?  He seems to be pretty highly decorated, as most 504th and 517th soldiers are.  During the Battle of the Bulge he was wounded below the ear by a piece of shrapnel when something exploded next to him.  When he made it back to the hospital station to be patched up someone told him that almost his entire unit was wiped out.  Now I see why very few 517th soldiers knew him. By the time he got there, you guys were up to your hind ends with Germans and didn't have a lot of time to socialize.
                          Rick Sweet

Michael Wells

TO: Howard Hensleigh
From: Michael Wells
Thanks for the historical information.  Very much appreciated; and a thanks for your military service.
Kenton Floyd Immerfall

Ben and 517th... I don't know if this has come around before but it definitely stirs the spirit.

Kenton Floyd Immerfall

Ronald Stassen ( Our Netherlands friend)

Ben,

I saw this question:
I did not know if you know the answer but i thought is just give you the information.

Rick Sweet

Hi Ben, I forgot to ask you...Do you know what  BSM-PH & OLC means? Its on dads headstone..
                    Thanks rick

The answer is:

This are Awards that where given to your father.

PH & OLC: Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster http://www.americal.org/awards/ph.htm

Kind regards

Ronald Stassen
Tom Reber

Attached is the most recent and updated roster.  Same four tabs exist, the Main Roster with all known information, the roster sorted by Company, the original (not updated) Auxiliary List, and the Thunderbolt Mailing List.

I hope this is helpful to all.  Not sure yet if we can make DC, but we certainly love to visit that city.

Our daughter is going to play with her orchestra (University of Louisville) at Carnegie Hall in March, so we are excited about that.  Still trying to get moved to Louisville from Lexington.  Hoping the housing market begins to thaw.

Our best to all!

Tom Reber
son of Lt. Bob Reber, HQ 3rd

Nila Gott

There was a picture of the robber suspect in the paper yesterday (Ben Waldron), but he had not been found.  Of course, he is nineteen and a punk.  If they get him, maybe they can retrieve the Diary, too.

If the reward is not used, the money will go to help support the National POW/MIA Memorial at the Riverside National Cemetery and the National Prisoner of War Museum in Andersonville, GA.

Nila

******************************
Nila Gott
http://myspot.neteze.com/~ngott
Order my new novel:  Dream Again, Die Again

Bob Dodds Jr

Dear Ben, thank you for putting my message on mailcall. When I read the message I noticed that my father's and my last name was spelled wrong. The correct spelling is Dodds. I look forward to hearing from someone who may have made his acquaintance. Sincerely, Bob Dodds Jr.

Kenton Floyd Immerfall

Ben,

Thanks...this is to let you know that I did receive this Mail Call.  I continue to read and enjoy everyone's comments and personal views on the history of America.  Wouldn't it have been interesting to have this technology for those who fought in the Revolutionary War up through Vietnam?

Kenton Floyd Immerfall
Walt Smith,

Ben, In all probability, I did get numbers 1264 & 1265 for I usually read then delete since on my old computer I ran out of space.  However, on this new PC I have about 90 times the space as the old one.  Just a habit since the lack of space on the old one got me in the habit of deleting.  Sorry I am to not be sure.
Walt Smith.  HQ1st
Hi Walt, Not possible. Will have note for you in tomorrows Mail Call - Ben
Lyn Vickers

Hi, Ben