From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 7:12 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1267 517TH PRCT- FEBRUARY 12, 2007
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Thanks to all who let me know that they received Mail Calls  1264-1265

Note to my friend, Walt Smith. Today February 12 is Lincoln's birthday.
January 12 was Boom Boom's birthday.  See  1247 - Jan 12 '07

Washington Reunion June 28-July 2 . All rooms for early arrivals are taken.   Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday  July 2

Reunions 2007:
                            Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion             April 15 - 20

                            Washington, DC National Reunion   June 27 - July 2

Click on these Links for Forms and Information

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

Alex Fulle

Ben,
If you could put me in touch with any 460th who will
be in attendance at the Washington D.C. reunion, that
would be great.  I am going to be jumping as 460th
with Liberty Jump Team, and I want to make sure I get
everything right! I am very excited to be jumping in
Honor of these men who, in my opinion, have not
received the due acclaim they deserve.
Thanks!
-Alex Fulle

Rick Sweet

Hi Ben,
           Many thanks to all those who helped me with the abbreviations on my dads headstone.  Mom and I were standing at his headstone Feb 8th and I asked her what those letters meant and she didn't know.  On his separation papers a lot more were listed.  Dad was wounded below the ear by shrapnel and also hit in the foot by a bullet at a different time.  Mom is going to re-order his medals as most were lost or stolen over the years.  When dad died we moved from our home to a cheaper apartment and mom was grief stricken.  A German Helmet was left behind and who knows what else.  Us kids were all young and it was a terrible time in my life. Lately I have been trying to catch up on things that I should already know so that I can pass it on to my daughter. I am still hoping to find someone who remembers my dad "Odas Sweet". Thanks Again..... Rick Sweet

Don Gentry

Hey Ben, the "no subject mail call" and the 1265 are the same. Thanks.

I just left the 101st at Ft. Campbell and have a week with the TN Army NG in Nashville. This is my 4th week on the road. Will be glad to get home.
Michael N. Arterburn

 Hi Ben,
     I use AOL and have never had a problem receiving your e-mails.  It might be that some of the AOL recipients will find the e-mails in their spam folder in their Manage Mail Folders section.   AOL automatically routes some e-mails into the spam section and you won't see them unless you look in the SPAM folder.
     An AOL user finding e-mail in his spam folder that is not spam can click on "This is Not Spam" which will bring it back into the Incoming E-mail Folder.   Each AOL member should check their spam settings.

Michael N. Arterburn
AR2BurnStuff@aol.com

Bob Barrett

This wallet-sized document was provided to every member of the U.S. Armed Forces serving in Germany as the war ended.  It contained 4 sheets of information that were rife with cautions about dealing with Germans in their newly defeated nation.

SPECIAL ORDERS FOR GERMAN-AMERICAN RELATIONS

1.   To remember always that
Germany, though conquered, is still a dangerous enemy nation.
       a. It is known that an underground organization for the continuation of the Nazi program for world domination is already in existence. This group will take advantage of every relaxation of vigilance on our part to carry on undercover war against us.
      b. The occupational forces are not on a good-will mission.

2. Never to trust Germans, collectively or individually.
       a. For most of the past century,
Germany has sought to attain world domination by conquest. This has been the third major attempt in the memory of men still living.  To many Germans this defeat will only be on interlude - a time to prepare for the next war.
       b. Except for such losses of life and property suffered by them, the Germans have no regrets for the havoc they have wrought in the world.
       c. The German has been taught that the national goal of domination must be attained regardless of the depths of treachery, murder and destruction necessary. He has been taught to sacrifice everything — ideals, honor, and even his wife and children for the State. Defeat will not erase that idea.

3. To defeat German efforts to poison my thoughts or influence my attitude.

       a. The Nazis have found that the most powerful propaganda weapon is distortion of the truth. They have made skillful use of it and will re-double their efforts in. the event of an occupation In order to influence the thinking of the occupational forces. There will probably be deliberate, studied and continuous efforts to influence our sympathies and to minimize the consequences of defeat
       b.  You may expect all manner of approach — conversations to be overheard, underground publications to be found; there will be appeals to generosity and fair play; to pity for victims of devastation; to racial end cultural similarities; and to sympathy for an allegedly oppressed people.
       c. There will be attempts at sowing discord among Allied nations; of undermining Allied determination to enforce the surrender; at inducing a reduction in occupational forces; at lowering morale and efficiency of the occupying forces; at proving that Nazism was never wanted by the “gentle and cultured” German people.

4. To avoid acts of violence, except when required by military necessity.
     For you are on American soldier, not a Nazi.

5. To conduct myself at all times so as to command the respect of the German people for myself, for the United States, and for the Allied Cause.
       a. The Germans hold all things military in deep respect. That respect must be maintained at all times or the Allied Cause is lost and the first steps are taken toward World War III. Each soldier must watch every action of himself and of his comrades. The German will be watching constantly, even though you may not see him. Let him see a good American Soldier.
       b. Drunkenness will not be tolerated. Penalties will be severe.

6. Never to associate with Germans.

       a. We must bring home to the Germans that their support of Nazi leaders, their tolerance of racial hatreds and persecutions, and their unquestioning acceptance of the wanton aggressions on other nations, have earned for them the contempt and distrust of the civilized world. We must never forget that the German people support the Nazi principles.
       b. Contacts with Germans will be made only on official business. Immediate compliance with all official orders and instructions and surrender terms will be demanded of them and will be firmly enforced.
       c. American soldiers must not associate with Germans. Specifically, it is not permissible to shake hands with them, to visit their homes, to exchange gifts with them, to engage in games or sports with them, to attend their dances or social events, or to accompany them on the street or elsewhere. Particularly, avoid all discussion or argument with them. Give the Germans no chance to trick you into relaxing your guard.

7. To be fair but firm with Germans.

       a. Experience has shown that Germans regard kindness as weakness. Every soldier must prove by his actions that the Americans are strong. This will be accomplished if every soldier treats the Germans with firmness and stern courtesy at all times.
       b. Firmness must be tempered with a strict justice. Americans do not resort to Nazi gangster methods in dealing with any people. Remember, your fair but firm treatment of the German people will command the proper respect due a member of a conquering nation.

Headquarters
Twelfth Army Group
Europe

     I need not speak of your post accomplishments, other then to say you have reflected great credit upon yourself and your command.

     We are now fighting on German soil, and we are in contact not only with the soldiers of our enemy but also civilians of Germany. As conquerors, we must now consider our relations with the people of Germany.
     It is imperative that you do not allow yourself to become friendly with the Germans but at the same time you must not persecute them. American soldiers can and have beaten German soldiers on the field of battle. It is equally important that you complete the victory over Nazi ideas.
     To guide you I have issued these special "battle" orders, they may appear to lead along a narrow path, but they are NECESSARY. You personally must prove to the German people that their acceptance of Nazi leadership is responsible for their defeat, and that it has earned for them the distrust of the rest of the world.