From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:03 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO 1284 517TH PRCT- MARCH 10.2007
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

.PLEASE SEND ALL PAYMENTS FOR THE REUNION REGISTRATION TO THE ARMED FORCES REUNIONS

 .Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem receiving them. You can always read Mail Calls by clicking on www.517prct.org/archives

Washington Reunion June 28-July 2 . All rooms for early arrivals are taken.   Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday  July 2

Reunions 2007:
                            Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion             April 15 - 20

                            Washington, DC National Reunion   June 27 - July 2

Click on these Links for Forms and Information

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

Marie-Lise Neal (nee Leocard)

Dear Friends

As the daughter of Aime S. Leocard, I would like to thank you all for
your expressions of sympathy and loss at the death of my father, Aime
S. Leocard on Monday, February 26th.

Although his health had been deteriorating for about a year, on the
Saturday, during a visit to France, we were sitting, chatting on a
bench by the seaside. And on Sunday he was talking to my husband in
perfect English.

I know that he was intensely proud of all the friendships he had made
with US parachutists and their families and always looked forward to
meeting you on his visits to the USA or your  visits to France.

I, myself, was delighted to meet the families who came to France to
visit the resting places of their loved ones through the association
he jointly founded, Souvenir Franco-Americain.

With my husband and two sons I have now been living in England for
many years. My sons are both very proud of their grandfather and his
actions in the Resistance and the liberation of the south of France.

My family and my brothers, Jean-Daniel and Jean-Patrick, join me in
thanking you again and wishing you and your families good health.

Yours sincerely

Marie-Lise Neal (nee Leocard)

Ronald Stassen--Netherlands friend

Hello Howard and Ben,

Did you received the IDPF file from Robert P Woodhull that i did send to you?
Is there some thing you heard from the family?

Hope all is fine with you?
Here all is fine just the weather is bad :-)

I'm still reading Battling Buzzards. With this bad weather is something that a person can do.
This is a great book.

Kind regards

Ronald

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ronald and Ben,  To both of Ronald's questions I can answer "yes".  I received a letter from Victoria (Tory) Woodhull Parlin, the daughter of James M. Woodhull, the brother of our 460th Robert P. Woodhull.  I also spoke with Tory by phone and will call her again this weekend.  Tory's father was a Naval flyer overseas in the Pacific when Woody was killed right beside Red Meline and me while directing artillery in support of the attack of G, H, and I at Bergstein February 7, 1945.

Thank you for Woody's package from the U.S. Military Cemetery Margratin, Holland.  This is the cemetery in which all of our losses at Bergstein are buried, except those who were returned to the States.  MG Maurice Rose is also buried there.  During the first few days of the Bulge, he with his depleted armored division was able to hold most of his assigned defensive position, excluding Manhay, thanks to Bill Boyle, Don Fraser and the 1st Bn.

The documents sometimes list Woody's outfit as the 517th P.I.R. and the 460th PFA.  The PIR should have been PCT, 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team, of which the 460th and Woody were members.  Nowhere is the 101st mentioned so there is no question that the reference to the 101st should be replaced by the 517th PCT on his grave marker.  If the cemetery officials are willing to do this, I ask that you take it up with them.  If they need anything from us, we will comply.

It took me a few days to recover from looking through Woody's documents because of the deep feelings Woody's death revived in my mind.  They contain letters of brother Jim, who passed away 18 years ago, and sister Lucy A. Woodhull who is still with us.  Woody's parents predeceased him.  This package gave me a first look at how the Army inter-related with the family of one of our fallen troopers.  I was impressed with its thoroughness and the understanding manner with which letters were written, letters that contained such bad news that they never could be happily received.

There are usually some surprises in packages of this type.  Several of the letters are signed by MG Thomas B. or T.B. Larkin.  As a retired three star, Tom Larkin was one of my main clients when I was Legal Advisor of our U. S. Mission to NATO in Paris 1958--60.  Tom was the man who organized the Red Ball Express that hauled the gas, ammo and supplies to guys like Patton who were sweeping across Europe.  Tom's trucks went 24/7 and were repaired on the road by mobile repair crews to keep the supplies moving.  Unfortunately the 517th did not see any of them and carried what we could on our backs.

The other interesting surprise was that Woody's belongings listed several books including "Yankee From Olympus" about Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.  He said that there were two major occurrences in his life-- being a Union soldier during the Civil War and becoming a Justice of the Supreme Court, listed in that order of importance.

This book was hot off the press.  I received a copy as a graduation present in the Spring of 1947and its first publication was in April 1944.  I knew Woody had a girl friend who sent him the overseas version of Time, so she or a family member supplied him with a copy of this excellent book.

Holmes also said, "Life is action and passion.  I think it is required of a man that he should share the action and passion of his time at the peril of being judged not to have lived."  What all you troopers can know with confidence is that you shared the action and passion of your times.
Howard Hensleigh

Lou Scaringi

Ben:    AOL has let us down.  Our last Mail Call was #1277.   Joyce went to the archives and retrieved those thru March 8th for me.  Hope they soon can fix the problem, since I certainly enjoy my "fix" of the news.  Keep up the good work.  We really appreciate it.

                                       Lou Scaringi
                                            ***********************
It's a ripple effect of dealing with AOL. I've taken care of it - Ben
Howard Hensleigh

Note to Tom McAvoy and others interested in Fred Harmon:
Fred and I had a good talk.  I mentioned that I had a few disabilities including the loss of Jan that will probably keep me from traveling much.  Fred said he had a few too, but we did not waste much time detailing our aches and pains.  Fred's voice was strong, his memory good and considering that he is 86 (as I am) he seemed in good health.

Fred was an H Co. platoon sergeant who, according to Fred, some considered the meanest man in the outfit.  This came from his cuffing a few of the new recruits to get them into line "so the lieutenant would get off my back."  Fred had a good word for all.  He said the young guys fell into line quickly and became excellent soldiers.  He had great respect for what they did in combat.  He mentioned running through Lt. Stott's wiped out I Co. platoon on the dash into Manhay.  He was most complimentary about the outfit, even including the officers.  He mentioned "Lucky Jack" Jackson the CO during most of the combat, Jim Bennet and Ed Athey who came in by glider after his plane caught fire on takeoff and they got out before it exploded.   Fred's picture along with Ed Athey's is opposite page 197 in "Battling Buzzards".  In our last day in combat at Bergstein, Fred was one of the last men standing in Company H.  As I recall you could count them on your fingers.

Fred is the same old Fred.  Howard Hensleigh
                                                        ***********

Ronald Stassen

Howard and Ben,

You don't have to thank me. its my pleasure to help as much as i can.
If you need pictures from War Cemetery Margraten or of a grave where some of the 517 PRCT is buried, just let me know.  I live in the neighborhood.

I also started several weeks ago to set the mistake straight that was made about 60 years ago.  Mr Lahaye from the AMBC/ War Cemetery Margraten is investigate the mistake and will get back to me with a answer.
If they gonna give him a new cross, my intention then is to do it with a little ceremony.
I will do all that's necessary so that Robert gets a new stone with 517 PRCT instead of 101st.

Would you please be so kind to give the family my address and email.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Ronald
Boom Boom Alicki
" Sending this attachment along to just a few of my dear friends who have IRISH sounding Sur names,, and to others who wish they did..!!
 By the Way,, Coming next saturday a week...the
17th of March,, is Saint Patrick's day ,,remembered,, honored ,, ,,and celebrated by one and all..!!  And may the good LORD
take a special liking to ya!!
 Ken
http://www.loversfun.com/claddagh/