From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2007 7:43 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1290 517TH PRCT - MARCH 18, 2007

70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

AOL members are now receiving Mail Call for the time being along with other members.  No thanks to AOL

.PLEASE SEND ALL PAYMENTS FOR THE REUNION REGISTRATION TO THE ARMED FORCES REUNIONS

Washington Reunion June 28-July 2 . All rooms for early arrivals are taken.   Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday  July 2

Reunions 2007:    Click on these Links for Forms and Information

Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion             April 15 - 20

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

John Krumm

Ben and Bob,

Thank you for sharing Aime Leocard's remarkable story with us on the website.  Those were indeed dark days.  Aime and the other members of the resistance helped the 517th and the rest of us get back into the light.

Bob Dickson

Hi Ben,  I am Jack Dickson's (A-Co) son Bob.  I sent photos of my Dad and his Jump Certificate about a year ago.  I have several other photos of his time with the 517th and I don't know if anyone might recognize the individuals in these photos.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone that might remember any of these photos or individuals and particularly any remembrances about my father.

Pics info:

1.  Unknown 517th paratrooper
2. Jack Dickson (Left) and Unknown friend
3. 517th Men, Presumably members of A-company
4. Jack Dickson on far right with other 517th Men
5. Jack Dickson in center joking with friends
6. 517th Paratroopers
7. , 9, 10 all of unknown aircraft crash landing
8. Pfc Jack Dickson  A-company

Thank you for maintain a great site that I know my father would have appreciated very much.
                                             ***********
We will have photos on web site soon

Howard Hensleigh

Bill,  I have the official picture of G Co. taken at Camp Mackall with everyone present for duty on the day the picture was taken.  I had it framed, but will get it to Ben one way or another so he can add it to the website.  Best regards,  Howard H.

Bob Dodds

Dear Ben, My dad was wounded for the second time on Sept 15, 1944.  I was wondering if that morning report might  be available  with your papers?  Bob

                                                              **************
Morning Report for "H" Co. Sept 15  does not mention Bob Dodds.  Record Of Events: Company moved fr. Bn reserves area up to Col. de Braus and took up defensive position. Moral Good.

Darrell Egner

Hi Ben

Just getting rid of a cold (?) that laid me low for two weeks.  Had to go to a Doctor to finally shake it.

Just got off the phone with Sam Povich and he read me a notice that Ralph D Link just passed away.  They were neighbors but didn't know each other.  The Obit said he was in the 517 from start to finish.  He stayed in the Army and retired as a Sarg. Major.  I looked him up on the Roster and sure enough he was listed under 460-D.

Do you know anything about him?  Maybe some of the 460 guys kept in touch with him.  Sam doesn't have a computer so I promised that I would check with Mail Call and call him with any results.

Hq Comp 2nd Batt may not win the award for the largest group this year in Washington.  Sam is probably not coming, Jack Collins (I am told) is only coming for one day.  Hunter McDonald will be up on his island in Canada.  Chris Lindner will be in the UK watching tennis.  I have three sons that say they are coming but they are scattered all over the USA.  I reserved my room but haven't sent my money as I am waiting for some firm answers from the Boys.

Keep up the great work you and Bob do for all of us.

Darrell Egner
Hq 2nd Batt.

Steve Gomez

Ben,

Thanks for your untiring effort in getting out the Mail Call!

I found this photo from 3 years ago this month that was taken in Lawton, OK. I am wearing my dad's original jumping mule patch (although I understand no one would have been likely to have worn one on the jump into southern France) and the 48 star flag on the left shoulder as was with all of the First Airborne Task Force in Dragoon. For me that photo was 20 jumps ago. See you in D.C.

AIRBORNE!

Steve Gomez

Guest Book entry March 16.

My Grandfather Was Leland A. Tripp. He was my mentor and hero all through my childhood. during his lifetime he told only the shortest and most mundane stories of his service in the 517th. He was quietly proud, but uncomfortable telling stories. After his death he allowed my grandmother to release a short essay he wrote only months before his death. The essay mentions his service both in A Co. and in an MP Co of some kind.  Does any one know what that MP unit's designator was? He made no mention of any other units he served with though I know he served with several.
I am an Infantryman who became an MP and seem to have followed in my grandfather's footsteps a little more closely than I had realized. I am, admittedly a straight-leg grunt but I am hoping that there are still one or two old paratroopers who might have known Lee Tripp and would be willing to share a story or two.
Grandpa always said that there wasn't any one he knew at the reunions because he got in too early but I cant believe he was the only early paratrooper. You guys are the very last of a very special breed. Thank you for your service, and your sacrifice.
Sgt. A. Kenna Schoonover
615th MP Co.
Grafenwhoer Germany