From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 7:43 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1291 517TH PRCT-MARCH 20, 2007

70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

It's urgent that you reserve rooms at the DoubleTree hotel as soon as possible. You can always cancel if necessary.

AOL members are now receiving Mail Call for the time being along with other members.  No thanks to AOL

.PLEASE SEND ALL PAYMENTS FOR THE REUNION REGISTRATION TO THE ARMED FORCES REUNIONS

Washington Reunion June 28-July 2 . All rooms for early arrivals are taken.   Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday  July 2

Reunions 2007:    Click on these Links for Forms and Information

Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion             April 15 - 20

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

Bill Christian

Ben,

Received a call this week from a lady who wanted some info re: reunion since her brother was in the 517th. I could not find his name so she called later with this info.  His name was Lt. Gorden J Littman [field commission] and he was assigned to Hdqs 1 Bat.  She tells me he went to Korea and then was killed in Nam at the rank of Lt. Col.  I hope some one can remember him who will be at the reunion.  I'm sure she wont mind me using her name for any guys who may remember him.   Ms Marlys Littman Buchenau , Vista Calif.  She has some interesting stories re his service.  She will be at the reunion. Thanks Bill

*****************************
 We have a Lt. Gordon J. Lippman in our 1944 roster -  Ben

Lory Curtis

Hi Ben,
   This message is for Rick Sweet, I was very touched by his comments
in mail call 1288 about his dad and others.  I am so fortunate to still
have my dad with us and will be coming to the reunion.  My dad wrote
over 150 letters home to his mother during World War II, and they tell a
lot about what was happening in the 517th from 1943-1945.  I have
compiled these letters into a book, with comments from my dad about what
he remembered during that time.   If Rick or anyone else would like a
copy please have them email me at lcurtis@utah.gov

Lory V. Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st Bn

Don Gentry

Good morning Ben, Just a quick note to let you know that I have supported the 2007 FACE of America Bike Ride to help our wounded service members "In Honor of the 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team" as shown on the scrolling window on the right side of this page.

Jay Long, 1SGT, US Army Retired from the Military Intelligence Corps is the rider I have sponsored. He works at the Intelligence and Security Command located at Ft. Belvoir, VA. He is riding with team "STRENGTH & HONOR".

MSG Don R. Gentry
US Army Security Agency Retired
Still Serving
East Wenatchee
509 884-2245
*************************
Don is a very good friend of the 517 PRCT- Ben

Peter Jansson

Dear Ben:  Sorry for the long delay in communication with you.  Dad is presently at Jordan Hospital in Plymouth, MA.  in the critical care unit.  He gets better, and then has a re-occurrence of his respiratory problems.  Again, after having been intubated 6 times, he had a tracheotomy done on Monday March 19th.  I have mentioned the reunion numerous times to him, but he needs much physical and occupational therapy.  I do want you to know that I did reach his friend John Jackopsic from B company and mailed him many printouts from this website including the one regarding the article about keeping the 517th alive.  Thanks to you and your son for all the work you do!!  I'm praying that dad can return to his self and (?) hopefully get to that reunion in June.  Thanks for your patience, and I also want to thank you for helping you help us find John Jackopsic from B company.   His son contacted us a week and a half ago -- I hope the info sent to Mr. Jackopsic helped thanks to this site.   Thank you again, Mr. Barrett.  Peter W. Jansson Thank you also to the Jackopsic family and John's son, who was nice enough to call and talk to me about our father and the legacy they share with all of the great people of the 517th and all heroes who have kept liberty here and abroad.   Without all of them, I do not enjoy the freedom this country provides, nor the time to enjoy that freedom.
****************
Peter is the son of Bertil Jansson "B" Co.   Bertil was planning to attend his first reunion before his serious accident.  Bertil would like to receive mail from anyone who remembers him. - Ben

John Bramswig

Hello Bob,

My father in law was Edmund Marconi, Co A. (now deceased).  Jumped into France, wounded in the Bulge and served in occupying army after the war.  I would love to see some of your photos and look for my father in law.

Stay in touch,

John Bramswig
****************
John has been seeking information about his father-in-law for some time. Can you help him?-Ben

Forwarded by John Alicki

... written by a very wise Senior.

                                A Gift ...

The other day a young person asked me how I felt about being old.
I was taken aback, for I do not think of myself as old. Upon seeing my
reaction,  he was immediately embarrassed, but I explained that it was an
interesting question, and I would ponder it, and let him know.

                      Growing Older, I decided, is a gift.

I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the person I have always
wanted to be.    Oh, not my body! I sometime despair over my body ...
the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, and the cellulite. And often I am taken
aback by that old person that lives in my mirror, but I don't agonize over
those things for long.

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my family for
less gray hair or a flatter belly.

As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself.
I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie,
or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't
need, but looks so avant garde on my patio. I am entitled to be messy,
to be extravagant, to smell the flowers.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon;
before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer
until 4 am and then sleep until -- ?

I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50's 60's,
And if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love I will.
I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging
body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the
pitying glances from the bikini set. They, too, will get old ( if they live).

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But then again, some of life is just as well
forgotten and I eventually remember The important things.  Sure, over the
years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose
a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when a beloved pet dies or
gets hit by a car?

But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion.
A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turn gray, (and discover Lady
Clairol) and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face.
So many have never laughed,  and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

I can say "no" and mean it.

I can say "yes." and mean it.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think.
I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being older. It has set me free.
I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever,
but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been,
or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day ... ( if I want ).

                  Today, I wish you a day of ordinary miracles.

                  Love Simply

                  Love generously.

                  Care deeply.

                  Speak kindly.