From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 8:11 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO, 1311 517TH PRCT--MAY 8, 2007
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I do not put forwarded mail in Mail Call. I send Mail Call out to about 400 people and do not wish to pass on a virus  and I do NOT forward any mail that indicates that I will suffer a dire consequence if I fail to do so.

Recently I have heard from many who are not on the on the Internet  and have just learned about the reunion.

Paul Carpenter's daughter called today seeking information. Paul "H "Co. was wounded by the same shell that hit me and sixteen others Jan. 5, 1945. January 2007 at Kissimmee was Paul's first reunion.

Sidney Felber 460 also called  and with family will be at the reunion. I think that Sidney was the youngest member of the 517 Combat team  However. that was about 63 years ago.

We only about 15 rooms left for Washington reunion on June 28,29, 30, and July 1.

.PLEASE SEND ALL PAYMENTS FOR THE REUNION REGISTRATION TO THE ARMED FORCES REUNIONS.  It would be helpful to the Armed Forces Reunions for us to  register as soon as you can decide what tour if any that you want to sign up for.

Washington Reunion June 28-July 2 . All rooms for early arrivals are taken.   Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday  July 2
Tom Cross

Darrell:
    This message was originally headed for a 517 Executive Bulletin however after talking to Ben last night it will appear in Ben's Mail Call this evening. Last nights Mail Call featured an interesting comment from Howard Hensleigh concerning the 517 Auxiliary. I believe both of these articles track what your thoughts are these subjects. Somehow or other an audit or financial accounting of the condition of the Association's finances must be given at the coming National Reunion.
    My comment regarding the suspension of the Thunderbolt is more than just a wake-up call to the Association. I believe the Officers and Directors with the guidance and leadership of the President should define the role of the Thunderbolt. It should have a function and purpose rather than just for entertainment. If you want some good assistance on this, you might consider setting up an Advisory Council for this purpose made up of people like Merle McMorrow, Howard Hensleigh, Dick Seitz, Gene Brissey, Helen Beddow and Ben Barrett or others with same dedication and insight of those just mentioned.
Regards, Tom
Darrell Egner

 Donna

Thanks for all your doing to get the Bank account transferred to Leo Dean, your a big help.  Several facts have been brought to my attention since we talked.  If everything falls into place you may not have to make the trip to see Bob Christie.

Fact #1  It was pointed out that our Bank account should be in the name of the 517 PRCT, therefore it should not be a problem as this could be handled with a change of a Signer Card.  The Bank account and our $10,000 CD could stay with the same bank.

Fact #2  We need to get the name of the Bank.  Another bit of information I received is that our fiscal year ends on May 31, 2007.  As we are a "Not for Profit" Association incorporated under Chapter 180 of the Massachusetts General Laws.  That will require that we furnish a complete financial statement to the State of Massachusetts and perhaps to the Federal Government.

Fact #3  A Mr. Wade Gilbert offered to pay the 517 $10,000 if we would place his advertisements in the Thunderbolt.  So far to the best of my knowledge we ran one add and he owes the 517 $2000 which has not been invoiced.  This should be invoiced before this month is out.

Fact #4  Some veterans have contributed to a fund to bring some of our friends to our Reunion from Europe.  Is this money in the bank or being held in a separate fund?  All of this information must be forwarded to Leo Dean so he can produce and give an accurate report and financial statement to the membership in Washington.

Fact #5  Ben I expect you will include this in your Mail Call.  Bob Christie cannot receive E-mail from me therefore I have not copied him.  He should have this information.

I hope all of you have been reading (In Mail Call) the great information and suggestions from Howard Hensleigh and Tom Cross.  I agree 100% with their thoughts and commencements.  Why am I and these two gentlemen so interested in the above?  We feel very strongly that the fate of our Association should rest in good hands when we are gone.  Why am I involved, I am on the Board of Directors and as such feel an obligation to do my part for the 517.

Regards,

Darrell Egner

Anne Valliere

Dear Ben,

I haven't submitted our ticket money yet - I will do it later today, but there will be seven of us that will be attending the Friday morning and Saturday morning celebration. My Uncle Carroll Eckert walks with a walker and has a few medical problems, so we would like to know if we could drive directly to the Manassas Regional Airport on Saturday without going to Washington, since we will be driving down from York, Pennsylvania? We will not be staying for the entire day, even though we love too, because Uncle Carroll would not be up to it. I didn't really look very good at the web site, but are there directions to all the events on it? - if not, would you tell me the best way to get there - if you have time - I know you are very busy?

Thanks for any help you give me.

Sincerely,
Anne Valliere
alvalliere@msn.com
Anne Valliere

Thank you so very much - yes, we will be coming down for Friday and Saturday - 9-4ish and 10-4.30ish.

My husband was a Captain in the Army in the 1st division (he always says the "BIG RED ONE" - 10th Mountain Division - went to Norwich University here in Vermont - Viet Nam era - he worked in Washington, D. C. for a spell under Jim Jeffords when "Jumpin Jim" was a Republican. I tell you this because we are really interested in finding out about where, why, and how my Uncle served his country. We need questions answered, and also, my husband does know his way around Washington, a little anyway. If we can drive straight to Manassas it will be good for my Uncle, however.

Thanks again,
Anne

Joan Felber (Sidney Felber's daughter )

Ben,
Thanks so much, I have the reservations for the hotel taken care of and we can begin with other plans. I will look you up when we get there.
Joan Felber