From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 11:31 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1320 517TH PRCT-MAY 21, 2007

70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I talked to Morris McDowell  and he said that Fred Harmon is not doing well and there is not much hope for a recovery.

Last mail Call should have been NO. 1319 - May 20

Washington Reunion June 28-July 2 . All rooms for early arrivals are taken.   Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday  July 2

 From the website.

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment for

Frank Ramos

Our family prayers are with Staff Sergeant  Fred Harman.  He made a point of sending Christmas Cards every year to his guys.  I remember as a little boy in Fresno, California that my brother Ismael Ramos (Company H) received Christmas cards from that far away place in South Carolina. When my brother was killed in a construction accident after returning from serving with the 517th, Fred Harman continued to send the Christmas Cards to my father until my father's death.

I was determined to meet Sgt. Harman for demonstrating such a rare character of loyalty to his men over all those years by keeping in contact with them.  I kept his name and address from his Christmas Card envelopes and determined to look him up when I came to Virginia in 1990.   I have since kept telephone contact with him over the recent years.  It was through Fred that I was also able to meet a 517th buddy of my brother, William "Bill" Ford (Company H) at this home in Atlanta, GA. Another great man.

I finally was able to meet  Fred face to face at the Savannah, GA  517th Reunion.  I made a point to have him at my side when I read the congratulatory letter from the President as my tribute to Fred.

I am sure he will be missed at the Washington, DC reunion by all of you.
Morris McDowell

Ben,
Fred Harmon told me that Corwin Clark was K.I.A. 5, Jan. 1945 with the same 88 that wounded you & killed my Cousin. I also saw his name on the after action report confirming this. Morris McDowell

Steve Markle

have sent the following request to Turner Publishing to use (scan) pictures of members of the 595 displayed in the book "517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team". They have referred me back to the 517 PRCT Association for permission (see attached) as copyright holders of the material.

Steve,

We have no problem with you listing the photos from the 517th PRCT book on your site.  However, you will need to obtain permission from the 517th Association as they hold the copyright on the materials.  Turner only holds the publishing rights.  Once you have obtained copyright permission, then I can get you the "formal" publishing permission form.  E-mail permission from the association is fine if you would forward it to me.

--
Sincerely,
Melissa K. Davis

Don Saunders

Ben:
Ropyak and Barbara were both with the 596. Ropyak was killed with Lt. George Flannery and Harry Springer when they were ambushed. If I remember correctly Barbara was transferred to the 517th before we went overseas.
Don Saunders
Bob Dalrymple

Ben: Please allow me to help on Steve Markle's 596 project. As CO of that outfit from it's activation to 29 Jan '45. I am intimately familiar with just about everything we accomplished, if I can remember. Steve is welcome to pick my brain, if he so desires . I am anxious to see  and know what he has sent you. Pfc Francis T Ropyak was KIA near Piobino, on or near the last day of our combat in Italy. I tried to copy this to Steve using his e-mail address as shown in you mailcall, but it was refused delivery

 Ben

Hi Lory,

Your book arrived yesterday and I glanced at it thinking that I would start reading it this evening but at a free moment I picked it up and started to read it and I couldn't put it down. I will read more this evening. I think that it is a great story. What are your plans for distribution? Maybe  I am  prejudiced but I think  it is one of the very best books about  that era , Depression and WW II etc. plus what it was like to be in the 517 and combat.   Your father's letters are a gold mine and should be very important for future historians.

Ben
 Lory Curtis

Thanks so much for your kind words, and I am so glad you liked the book.  I want people in our 517th family to have access to it.  I have only been selling them for my cost plus postage.  I am bringing some to the reunion, but I would not be able to carry a lot in my luggage.  I would like to have a publisher pick it up, but have not had any success with one yet.  I have published an auto mechanics book for McGraw 20 years ago and I thought about contacting them.  Any suggestions? I hope your wife is doing better and look forward to seeing you in D.C.
Lory

Ben,
I want to get my Dad a Paratrooper Jump Jacket for the reunion.  Does
anyone have a good line on a vendor who sells them?  If someone does
email me at lcurtis@utah.gov.
Thanks
Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ 1st Bn.