From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2007 8:13 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1330 517TH PRCT- JUNE 4, 2007

70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

If anyone still needs to  reserved a room for the reunion, let me know immediately and I may be able to assist you .

You must send in registration to the Armed Forces Reunions, Inc. for the reunion. Hotel reservations are separate.

Washington Reunion June 28-July 2 .    Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday  July 2

G Company at Camp MacKall

Chester A. Wells, H Company
The Story of Corbin Zickefoose's Letters from France

Howard Hensleigh

Ben:  I wrote a previous message which disappeared.  This is an excellent Job.  In the blown up version, I can see all of the faces clearly and identify all I remember.  I was wrong about Art Riddler who is on Capt. Hooper's right, then McElroy, me, and first Sgt. Dallas Long on his left.  Dallas may be able to name many of these men if his eyesight is still good.  Hewitt, Harger, Beer, Wengryzinovicz (sp?) are all there.  Again, thanks for an excellent job,  Howard Hensleigh

Jim Royer

Ben, So very sorry to hear of Doc Plassman passing away. How I always
enjoyed visiting with Doc  and Sgt Chism at the reunions They were two
of the greatest. My sincere regrets to his family. Our numbers are
getting thinner and faster as the days and  months pass by.
                                          Jim Royer, Hq 3rd

Howard Hensleigh

Ben,  Here is a message for Michael Plassman, #2 son of Walter Plassman, his other family members, his Centralia Ill. friends, and all who appreciate the medics who were with us all the way.  This 3rd Bn. story could be repeated as a salute to the medics in other units of the Combat Team.

Our tribute to the medics can not be overstated.  This includes a broad range of men who would be at our side with sulfa, plasma, sterile bandages and expertise when we were hit.   With the frequent call of "Medic" they would be there.  It includes the litter bearers (usually the cooks whose field ranges were far in the rear) to get us to the aid station and the battalion surgeons to patch us up and send us back to combat after a few days or hours or send us to the field hospitals from which we usually went awol to get back to the outfit.  It was confidence in these men that made it possible to move forward to take fiercely defended objectives.  If we were hit in the attack, they would be there to take care of us.

In the 3rd Bn. Capt. Plassman was leader of these men.  He trained them well and led by example.  No matter how chaotic the situation, he always projected a serene atmosphere of orderly control.

The scene of the small clinic in Montaroux will always remain indelibly in my mind when Frank Long and I broke through to evacuate our jump casualties.  Capt. Plassman along with many others was injured on the jump into Southern France.  Although the pilots gave us the green light with the proper altimeter reading, we were jumped over the foothills of the maritime alps, not the valley of our drop zone.  Most of the planes did not throttle back to 95 miles per hour so our magnified opening shock was followed almost immediately by a crash landing, which left Walter Plassman with a left knee injury barely able to hobble.  But hobble he did collecting the jump casualties and setting up an aid station in Montaroux.  When Frank and I entered it we saw a thoroughly organized clinic with Dr. Plassman in a white uniform in full charge.  Our first words were over the roar of German trucks just leaving town in the face of the 141th Infantry advance.  How he saved our jump casualties from serving out the rest of the war as POWs is one of his many accomplishments.

Bn. Surgeon Plassman was the strong leader of a band of good men, including his assistant Bn. surgeon Dan Dickinson, Sgt. John Chism and the many corpsmen who lived and trained with the troops they would serve in combat.   I know of no failure of a medic to respond when called for.   On occasion their bravery went beyond patching up and evacuating the wounded.  I Company's Terril for example saved many of our necks the afternoon Capt. McGeever was killed attempted to link I Co. up with G & H on Ridge X near Col de Braus.  We were all pinned down by a company of Germans in fortified positions with good fields of fire when Terril came forward into withering fire waving a big red cross banner on a long pole triggering a cease fire.  This was the type of action that was inspired by our Battalion Surgeon.  You Plassman kids have a right to be proud of your father.  We are happy he was with you until age 90, but are in sorrow with you for your loss and ours.

Howard Hensleigh
Theresa Pugh

 Hello, Ben:

 You are welcomed to post my note to the website,  listserv,  or sent by e- mail to the reunion attendees. But I won’t be checking my home e mail for about a week before the party. If people have questions they should contact me or my mother, Ann Pugh (wife of Charles Pugh) by phone.

 My mother asked me to write to you to mention that we are still having the party on Sun July 1st from 3-5 PM prior to the dinner. We welcome the men (and their families) from the 596 and 517th.  (We request no children under 10 please as the house is not really suitable for young kids)

 We got a call from one gentleman who inquired whether he might attend even though his father had died a few years ago. It then dawned on us that we should have made that clear that the widows or adult children of these soldiers were welcome also.

 She hopes that we can hook Bob Dalrymple up by phone (either speaker phone or conventional phone) so that the men can speak to him. His health prevents him from attending. (Bob, if this works for you, we’d be glad to call you and let you speak to folks).

 So far we have about 15 people coming and are welcoming others.

 I am trying to persuade my mom to sign up for the reunion. She is trying to determine how much energy she has for the weekend—but I certainly hope that she will attend the dinner. May we buy tickets to the dinner on Sunday if she is interested in going? She is not planning to attend the jump. (I will be away on work travel on Friday and Sat).

  I hope to meet you at the party.

 Theresa Pugh

Daughter of Charles Pugh

703 931 1945

 and

Ann Pugh

(Widow of Charles Pugh of Fort Worth Texas)

Ann’s number 703 998 7573

Info on the party: 703 931 1945

 Address

2313 North Tracy Street

Alexandria VA 22311

 The house is located about 5 miles from the hotel. The ground floor is handicap accessible.

 Directions

 Take 395 South past Pentagon. Take Seminary Road WEST exit. Merge onto Seminary Road. You will pass the Hilton Hotel and merge into one of the two far right lanes. After the major intersection of Seminary and North Beauregard, get into left lane.

Turn left onto FILLMORE STREET.  This is a poorly marked street with lots of construction as older houses are being torn down for new homes.

 Follow Fillmore all the way to the dead end—about 1 mile. You will encounter 1 or 2 stop signs.

 At the dead end you will see a dog park and tennis court on the left. You have only one choice but to turn right onto GRIGSBY Street. Grigsby is a very short street with only 3 houses on it.

Take GRIGSBY to the top of the hill (very short distance) and it dead end at my front yard—the cream colored brick house with Spanish wrought iron on it.   The street names are confusing because my house is the “last house’ in Alexandria. My next door neighbors’ address is on Chestnut. So the street signs are a tad confusing.

 Folks who have handicapped parents or children can park in the driveway.   All others can park along the street—there is plenty of parking on the street.

 It takes about 10 minutes to get from the hotel to my house on a Sunday afternoon. If folks prefer to take a cab—the cab will not cost more than $15-20 dollars.

 We will have the party both indoors/outdoors depending upon how muggy it is on July 1st. Some years we are fortunate and can actually be outside—but we never count on it!

 Thank you

Theresa Pugh

(daughter of Charles Pugh)