From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:13 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1340 517TH PRCT- JUNE19, 2007
  70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

We have reached our quota of hotel reservations for the reunion. However, you may still be able to get rooms since there is likely to be some cancellations and it is very important that anyone canceling should notify me before you do so.

Washington Reunion June 28-July 2 .    Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday  July 2

Pvt. John S. Hopkins
Jesse Darden and 460th PFAB in Southern France

Louise Chestnut

We talked to Betty Smith last night and she told us Paul died on the eighth. You probably already knew, but our computer has been down. Louise

Claire Giblin

Hi, Ben -

This is so exciting!  Our reunion begins in only a bit over a week!  It is going to be so wonderful to see everyone!

If you are interested in videotaping (formally or informally), please let us know when you arrive.  We're really hoping to put you to work!

Anyone who is driving and wishes to bring a hospitality contribution should feel free to do so - we will welcome your yummy treats with open arms.    A few people have volunteered to help in the Hospitality Suite, and we appreciate that as well.

Most of all, we want you to come enjoy our nation's capital and each other!  We look forward to seeing old friends and making new ones!

Any questions?  Just want to touch base?  Email me at clairejgib@patmedia.net.

We'll see you in DC!

Claire Johnson Giblin

Irma, Arnold Targnion, Maria Gaspar and members of CADUSA (US Airborne Reception Committee

Dear Ben,
We would like to thank you for the mails we received, so, because of you we are informed and we learn many news about our dear friends veterans and their family. It is rather incredible that so many years after the war, people in Europe are still in touch with the heroes who liberated our countries. You are the messenger of peace and friendship. Here, in Trois-Ponts, Maria, Arnold and I, the members of our Committee, the Mayor, the Council and ardennaise people have you in our hearts for ever and as long as we live, we shall honor the US veterans. We wish to keep the memory of those brave men and we shall never forget how fortunate we are to live in a free country because of their sacrifice. French is my mother tongue and it is difficult for me to express in english our feeling of gratitude and deepest respect for you and your comrades. We shall always remember the price you paid for our freedom, we'll continue to pay homage to the fallen heroes and to all the men who fought and suffered for us. We want to learn the history to our children and grand-children, they attend our ceremonies and memorial days, we do hope they will continue to keep the memory of the US soldiers, those very young boys who liberated us from the enemy. We wish we could be along with you for the reunion in Washington. We would like to send a warm greeting to all the men of the 517th, to their family. Love from Trois-Ponts and remember, you are welcome at any time. Irma, Arnold Targnion, Maria Gaspar and members of CADUSA (US Airborne Reception Committee)

Walt Smith

My dear Boom Boom, Yes, you have our prayers for  a comfortable trip through your chosen hospice. As a 'wet behind the ears' 20 year old hopeful in Toccoa and Mackall, being assigned to the commo platoon in Hq 1st, we all had heard of Boom Boom Alicki.  However, I do not believe we have met personally but something about you seemed to reach or ears.  Since you are about 10 years my senior, it is understandable. the speed of aging seems to fly without a chute. Using this computer is a chore for me due to ARMD,  the rapidly losing ability to read without a magnifying glass. Having visited several friends in various hospices, it is no stranger to us and My wife Peanie and I do wish you a comfortable and pleasant journey.  God Bless!  W W Smith

To:  W W Smith......Just a note of sincere appreciation and prayers to help me along "for a comfortable trip through my chosen Hospice."

Boom Boom Alicki

Paul Abbene

Greetings  Ben,  thanks for the email regarding room cancellations. I am
trying to contact Bonnie to see if our dates mesh and I can help her out.
Also, please add my Email Address to mailcall if you would. Thank you.
Looking forward to the weekend in D.C. and look forward to meeting you.
Be well. Paul Abbene

Rick Sweet

Hi Ben,
          I had a telephone conversation with Raymond D Vanderport  H CO 517 last night.  He remembered my dad and it was wonderful to talk with  him.  He is 83 years old and can't get around too much.  He doesn't have a computer so I will have to write to him or call him.  I will send him copies of the pictures that I have of him with my dad.  In most of them they are in Berlin.  He also said that he had pictures.  I have his address and phone number if you would like to talk with him Ben.  Without your help and this website and the help of Lory Curtis I probably would have never had the opportunity to talk with him.  I am grateful to everyone that has helped me along the way. I am praying for you John Alicki to make your pain more tolerable and for a miracle in your life.  I want you to know that a lot of people care about you!  God Bless you and all of our soldiers.
                                                                            Your Friend
                                                                            Rick Sweet

Tom McAvoy

Thanks  Ben  that is one hell of a picture??  Tom
Mary Jane

I was very moved that you put my Flag Day message in “Mail Call.” I’m thrilled because now I know that it was seen by a larger audience than I could ever hope for. I truly pray that it rejuvenated patriotism and a love of the USA, our servicemen and a gratitude for the liberty for which it stands in many hearts.

Mary Jane

Gene Frice

Countdown for the Washington DC, 517th Reunion, 2007

     I am sure that many troopers and family are packing bags in
anticipation of the forthcoming gathering of troopers, family, 517th
supporters and friends. Does it seem we just left Florida, Savannah,
Portland and Palm Springs yesterday. I have heard a number of
individuals remark, "Now I know why you were a Paratrooper, or at
least in the 517th. All you did was party." Sounds like General
Patton, in the Movie Patton.  "Daddy, (or Grandfather-Great
Grandfather ?) ..." What did you do in WWII...?

     Washington DC is a wonderful city. It is a beautiful city and the
history and heart of our nation resides there. I love to visit - again
and again - accomplish my visit or business in the area and return to
sunny (read cool) California or Oregon.

     We have business to conduct in Washington. The gathering will be
the command and planning site for future year(s). Those items of
immediate attention are some of the following:

     1.  The year 2008, closely and obviously, follows 2007. The time
frame between our gatherings was previously approved as an annual
event. With some difficulty and hard work of a few, it did work for
2006 and 2007.  We must give thought - do we wish to continue with the
current agenda?  I, for one, feel we should, to include the local
events, but you decide.

     2. We need your recommendation for officers to serve on the Board
of Directors and other positions. Bob Christie, after many years of
dedicated service, is prepared to turn the task of
Secretary/Treasurer, as well as editor of the  THUNDERBOLT, over to
another warrior. That publication, other than email, is our only
means of communication. Many do not have access to email. Someone must
volunteer to assume that duty or the 517th may cease to exist for lack
communication.

     3.  As most know, Leo Dean has volunteered to assume the most
important duty of Secretary/Treasurer. We thank you Leo, however, on
your parachute jumps (how many now) please give the 517 material to
someone else to secure while you're jumping.

     My thanks to the Washington DC hard working crew. I am sure our
association with the Military Reunions organization will prove to have
been a productive union.

     There are many who will not be in Washington as they have
departed to a better place in life, There are those today suffering
from failing health and many with family responsibilities. Conflicts
arise. Those of us in attendance will have you in our thoughts and
prayers.

God Bless all.

         Gene Frice, Past President

PS  The 517 Roster for 2006-2007's correctly lists my residence and
telephone(s) in Oregon, however email is currently   genesir@gmail.com