From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:34 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO 1342 517TH PRCT- JUNE 21, 2007
  70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I've had a rough day!!!!  Please to not send criticism about the reunion to Claire. There would be no reunion with out her diligence application, concentration, doggedness, perseverance, persistence and tenacity. We may have a reunion next year and then there will be an opportunity for some one else to host it.

We have reached our quota of hotel reservations for the reunion. However, you may still be able to get rooms since there is likely to be some cancellations and it is very important that anyone canceling should notify me before you do so.

Washington Reunion June 28-July 2 .    Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday  July 2

Paratrooper Training - Fort Benning 1943 Frank Ramos
300 photos of John Harte and B Battery, 460 PFAB
Pvt. John S. Hopkins

Claire Giblin

Hi, Ben -

We are so looking forward to seeing everyone in DC next week!  We want you to come and do as much or as little as you want!

Our nation's capital is very visitor-friendly and many of the best attractions are FREE!  Well, let's correct that: we've already paid for them with our tax dollars, and there are no entry fees.  The Smithsonian has about 14 different museums open, covering every possible area of interest.  The Museum of the American Indian, the Museum of Natural History (home of the Hope Diamond), the Air and Space Museum, and the National Portrait Gallery are all favorites.  The Holocaust Museum is wonderful and free; timed passes are available on the day of your visit or by calling their number (800/400-9373, per their website).  I hear that the Spy Museum, though not free, is a great visit, especially for those with young families.

The White House Visitor's Center is an excellent alternative to visiting the actual White House (those arrangements must be made months in advance through your Congressional Representative or Senator).

Our hotel has good access to the Metro station three blocks away, and I believe that there is even an hourly shuttle.

We will be sure to have plenty of the local info on hand.  Spending some time on the websites for these attractions is certainly time well spent.

Want to get in touch, or have a question?  I'm always in the Mail Call Roster - my email address is clairejgib@patmedia.net

See you in DC!

Claire Giblin

Reunion co-chair

Anne Eckert Valliere

Hi Ben,

My Uncle Carroll Eckert is now in intensive care, so I am not sure if he will make the REUNION IN DC, but Uncle Carroll's son, Scott and his wife, Linda and my husband, Leo and I will be there. We hope and pray that Uncle Carroll will get better before next Saturday, but it doesn't look good.  He was so excited about attending that it will be such a shame if he cannot make the event.

Anne Eckert Valliere
alvalliere@msn.com

Frank Ramos

Ben:  I have scanned pictures and some notes my brother wrote in his Paratroop Training Book I discovered.

My brother wrote some notes on the left side of the page opposite the pictures.  They very readable and interesting to read his thoughts at the time.

He writes in Spanish about meeting some Hispanics about playing music and their patriotism and experiences.  I did not translate them.   I can if anyone is interested.

My brother apparently had some close Hispanic buddies from El Paso, Texas buddies based on their writings on pages 31-32-33-34.  They are:  Grabiel Gutierrez, Raul Dominguez, and Julio Gonzales and one from Juarez, Mexico name Alberto Sanchez.

There are also some other friends who signed his booklet in page order.  I would like to meet any of them if they are going to attend the Washington, DC reunion this month.

Page 22
Dalton E. McKeever

Page 23
Andrew  Paul Lubic, 904 4th Ave, Oberlin Gardens, PA
George Raymond Monkhouse, 1432 Pollister Ave, Detroit, Michigan
Joseph P. Collins, 1224 Watson AVe, Scraton, PA   Phone 44238

 On Page 24
Donald G. Ralph, 1?53a Van Ness Ave, So., San  Francisco, CA
James A Wilson, 420 Sayre St.  Montgomery, Ala.
George E. Roller, 6901 Detroit, Ave.,  Cleveland, Ohio
Michael A. Sutra, 4520 S Justine, Chicago, Illinois

Page 25
Dewey B. Darrow, Randall, New York
William R. Connett, Jr, Richmond, VA
DeWitt H. Brand, Route 4, Box 92, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Pvt.  Les R. Bernard, Maliisut Hiclong??,  Court 5, New Brunswick, Canada
Pvt. Elroy C. Olson, Dresser, Wisconsin  Box115
Pvt. Donald Bandy, 548 Hampton Road, Columbus 4, Ohio

Page 26

Carmen Mayfredonia ??, Philadelphia, PA
John A. Mangan, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Manuel B. Fernandez, 621-28 77th Place, Elmhurst, L.I., New York

These photos are some of the best that I have ever seen about our training .
Bob has put them all on the website.  Frank's brother was  Ismael  H Co. Click on Paratrooper Training - Fort Benning 1943- Ben

Guest Book Entry

Name: Joe Combest
From: Duncan, OK
E-mail: joe@combestfinancial.com

My dad is Ben Combest.  He was in G company, 3rd platoon I think.  It has been a few years since I first found this site and my e-mail address has changed.  Dad is doing well.  I look forward to hearing from anyone who knew him during his time with
the 517th.
Thanks.

Joe Combest

Wayne Cross

Ben, I had a wonderful call with Howard H. last night and one of the many subjects we discussed were the differences between Gen Walsh's command style and that of Col. Graves.  Howard mentioned that Gen. Walsh was into the fine details and went so far as to proscribe a specific way in which he wanted all the troopers to lace their jump boots.  Needless to say, Col. Graves did not feel the need to manage to this level of detail.  Well it got me to thinking and I consulted some old "Static Line" articles my father had written and sure enough I got the skinny behind why Gen Walsh wanted troopers to "lace up" in a uniform manner.  I'll take up where my Dad left off about 20 years ago:
  "Now 48 years later it suddenly dawns on me why I still lace my civilian shoes in our old jump boot "ladder style" wherein each part of the lace is parallel to the others.  This started in Toccoa when Major Paul D. Vella, our Regimental Surgeon, convinced the Regimental Commander, then Colonel Louis A. Walsh Jr., that it made common sense to have a uniform "ladder style" of boot lacing in the event that one of us suffered a jump/wound injury in the area covered by the boot.  Major Vella felt that our Medics could quickly cut the laces without harming the patient and the cherished jump boot.  Thus with a quick slash of the jump knife, off came the boots."
So what some might have perceived as an an arbitrary and capricious act, might actually have had some sound thinking behind it.  Now remembering back on my own childhood, what may be a little weird is how my father also taught his children to "lace up" the same way!

Best wishes for a wonderful reunion!.