From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2007 5:09 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO, 1343 517TH PRCT- JUNE 22, 2007

70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

The recent photos sent to us by Frank Ramos and Don Harte cover the history of our training better than most books.

Washington Reunion June 28-July 2 .    Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday  July 2

Paratrooper Training - Fort Benning 1943 Frank Ramos
300 photos of John Harte and B Battery, 460 PFAB
Pvt. John S. Hopkins

Claire Giblin

And now we're counting down -

I believe that we'll be among the first to arrive at the reunion next Wednesday, as we move to make the
Doubletree our home away from home for the long weekend.  Things are going as smoothly as possible - those of you who have hosted previously know that it's always something (or 8 or 10 things) - and we know that the most important thing is bringing our troopers together.

Get the 517 together, and it's always a party!  We're looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.  That way, the new friends from this reunion are the old friends at the next one.

Your reunion co-chairs are myself, Allan Johnson, Leo Dean, and Ben Barrett.  One of us will always be available, and we look forward to getting to know more of the extended 517 family.

Everyone, please have a safe journey to Washington!

Warmly,

Claire Giblin

Dick Seitz

Clarie, just a note to commend you on the truly outstanding job you are doing as committee chairperson.  You are remarkable in all you have doing and I'm betting because of you magnificent work we will all have a wonderful reunion.  I thank for all you have done and look forward to a great reunion.  With great admiration.  Airborne all the way.  Dick Seitz

Trooper Walsh
Hi Pete...

Like yourself, I am the son of a 517th original.  Although I live close to the Washington reunion site, I doubt I will be attending any of the gathering or events for personal reasons.  However, I've been reading your posts here on the 517th forum since February regarding your hopes of making it to this reunion with your Dad, and it is for this reason I am contacting you today.

I would like to make the offer to you to serve as your personal chauffeur and guide around town 24/7 if this will somehow help to make this trip possible for you and your Dad.  I have a van and can remove one or more seats as needed to accommodate your Dad.  Only thing is I am crippled (can walk short distances with a cane) and would not be able to assist in major transfers other than help getting your Dad in and out of the vehicle.  That said, Arlington Hospital is only minutes away if your Dad should need some special attentions.  But getting you to and from the airport, etc. - no problems...!  I would offer you my home to stay at, but all things considered I think you would be better off with the accommodations there at the hotel for day to day stuff.

I understand the risks involved for someone like your Dad in his condition.  But if your dad is anything like mine was, this reunion could mean the world to him - especially to do it with you.

I never had the opportunity to attend a 517th reunion with my Dad.  Back in his day there were still plenty of 517th originals around so that including dependent's, other than wives, was not as important as it is today.  If there is any way at all for you and your Dad to make this trip together I know what it would mean to both of you.

Please consider my offer, and feel free to get hold of me at my contact points, as below.

Best Wishes...TW<<

Trooper Walsh / Proprietor of ZooGenesis / Purveyor of DragonTails
2393 North Edgewood Street
Arlington, Virginia 22207
Cell: 703.346.4432
twalsh@juno.com

Peter Jansson

Dear Ben:  Dad is doing remarkably well.  I cannot believe the progress he has made the last 6 weeks.  He is home now, and has commented to me twice about the possibility of the reunion.  I don't believe it can be done, but I did tell him I would confer with his physician.  The doctors at New England Sinai Rehab told the family that when he first came there in late March that they never thought he would be able to leave the facility.  I guess that shows again the resolve and determination of the greatest generation, and specifically the 517th.  Although he has much that needs to be done physically and mentally, I truly am thankful for his courage and grit--his comeback is part of a great legacy that he started building even before WWII.  Thanks for everything sir.  Pete

Pete is the son of Bertil Jansson  B company. Bertil was planning on attending his first reunion.-Ben

Lucky Hiers
Frank Ramos:  we would love to be able to read what his brother wrote in the Paratrooper's Training Book.  What a treasure to have.  Regretfully, like many other Americans we have not learned the language of other countries.

And Anne Valliere:  We think it's grand that the four of you will be at the D.C. reunion.  We will pray your Uncle Carroll will steadily improve.  If he can't make it in person you will be able to re-live your experience.  He must be a very special uncle for you and Leo to take such interest in helping him, and his son Scott and wife Linda through the hospitalization time.

And Wayne Cross's story of the command styles of two General's was most interesting!!!  It reminds me of our telling our toddlers and pre-schoolers about safety laws at the curbside.  It's hard to obey and the question is always WHY!

AND, Boom-Boom:  We regret we have not known you personally and we hope to HEAR a lot of stories about you while in D.C. next week.   It is certain that you will be on our minds and, no doubt, the minds of so many others when we gather.  Didn't know we had any old codgers around!!  From the bits we've read in Mail Call -- it seems people should get together and write a book!!!

And for all of you out there who are searching for people who have known your family members ... keep on keepin' on!

See ya'all next week, Lord willing and the creeks don't rise.
"Lucky" Hiers
Ronald Stassen  ( Our friend from the Netherlands )

Ben

If i send you my copy of the book of the 51th PRCT, would you let it sign at the Reunion.
It would mean a lot to me.

Regards

Ronald

Dan Hoskins

Hi Ben. I hope that you all have a great reunion. Please remove me from the distribution list. Thanks,

Dan Hoskins

 Walter Smith

First off, I hope to write this note sans too many errors since reading and witting is a chore for my progressing ARMD.
    Ben, #1342 indicated a trying day for you and you are a tolerant man to accept some of the criticisms you are bound to receive in spite of the greater character of most troopers. God blesses you for your tolerant and forgiving nature yet strongly informative when necessary.
    I am sorry that I can not  comfortably make the trip to the DC reunion with you.    Spinal stenosis (sp) which limits walking along with vision limits are a factor.  I am fortunate that Peanie and I had a local tour to DC about a year or two  ago but it would have been better with 517.
    Perhaps, some day I can leave Ohio and pass through your home own in Maine!  Walt Smith
Frank Ramos

 Thanks for the quick response to putting them on the web site.  I sent it to my family and friends to showcase you great guys.  I am very honored and proud to contribute to the historical 517th site.  I have attached one of the only three pictures I have of my brother.   Maybe you can put that in the web site in some manner.  By the way the web site has in parenthesis that I am his son.  I am his brother.

Look forward to seeing you.

Best

Frank

Louise Chestnut

We heard from Betty Smith today and she told us about Paul. He had terrible pain for several months. I wish I had known him longer. He was a real nice person. Thanks again for all you do. Louise