From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2007 5:37 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1351 517TH PRCT- JULY 6, 2007
 70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Website                                 www.517prct.org

 Auxiliary Officers 2007 - 2009

The future of the 517th prct Association:

Auxiliary Officers

Claire Giblin  -  President

Frank Ramos  -  1st Vice-President

Bruce Broudy  -  2nd Vice-President

Donna Hilliard  -  Secretary

Karen Frice Wallace  -  Treasurer

Board Members

Helen Beddow

Jeanne Davis

Lelia Webb

Bonnie Littlefield

Tom Reber

Kristie Wright

Committee  -  History

Bob Barrett

Paul Beddow

Morris McDowell

Barb and Gary Willmart
Hi, Ben;

We attended the reunion in Washington D.C.  What a great place to visit.  My husband and I flew into Philadelphia 3 days before the reunion.  We visited Independence Hall and the historic area of Philly.  Then we went on to Gettysburg and Antietam before arriving in D.C.  We walked the National Mall taking in all the memorials and monuments...Vietnam and Korea and the WWII memorial were outstanding.  We did a bus tour of D.C., went to Arlington cemetery and Mount Vernon, George Washington's home.  We also attended the Liberty Jump.  Fantastic.  The DoubleTree was a nice hotel and the food was pretty good.  I think that this reunion offered so much for families.  Great choice.
Thanks,
Barb and Gary Willmart
(Daughter of Charlie Cook, 460th  A battery)

Merle McMorrow

Ben:

You, Claire, and those working with you have put on a reunion that will long be remembered.  It is sad though that many of the charter members are no longer able to attend.  As the years pass the number of troopers will continue to decrease but the auxiliary will keep the history alive.

         Merle

 Steve Markle

While we were at Ann Pugh's house, we were approached by a school teacher who was promoting this site for the Library of Congress. They are now collecting soldiers stories and information for the national archives. This is a project that should have started 20 or 30 years ago before we have lost so many of these guys....but if we can get any additions I'm sure that it is better than having someone else writing the history.

 Full information can be found here and participation is voluntary;

 It sounds like something worth promoting. I see that Melvin Biddle already has some information out here;

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/bib/5175 submitted by Senator Lugar. It looks like there is a total of 26 from the 517th listed to date;

 -Steve-

     We are all back home now and I have posted some of the reunion photos to our site. Feel free to lift any of the pictures that you may want. The larger group pictures that were taken at a house were taken at Ann Pugh's (Charlie Pugh's widow) house in Alexandria just before the banquet.

 My favorite one was this one (I made it web friendly);

 Thanks again Bob, and give our best to your dad.

 Steve

    Gilles Guignard--Our Switzerland friend

Dear Ben and Bob,

Here are 2 photos+captions (pls note that one of the
pics is a .jpeg and the other one a .bmp) of Zoot
Snyder taken in Southern France as well as a short
biography.

It would be really great if you could kindly add the
photos+text+ captions in the “Training and ww2 Photos”
section (http://www.517prct.org/photos/photos.htm) of
your website.

After receiving a nice email comment from Zoot Snyder
on my www.dogface45.skyblog.com, we have kept in touch
since and have become good friends.

Here is the short biography (photo captions at the end
of the text).

Zoot Snyder was in Co. A from the beginning when it
was formed in Toccoa, Georgia until the war in Europe
ended. Although he received a Purple Heart for wounds
received in Italy he never was evacuated or missed a
day of combat. He jumped in Southern France and went
thru the Bulge and into Germany.
His position with A Co. was rifleman, runner and radio
operator for Company
Headquarters. His favorite Company Commander and
friend was Major Don Fraser who he  jumped with into
Southern France. When the war ended in Europe he
transferred to the 82nd Airborne Division to remain in
Berlin, Germany for the occupation.

Caption of the photos:

C-47 photo with helmet on

This photo, taken in Italy on August 14th, 1944, is a
PRE-enactment the day before the jump. Note the
camouflaged uniform and the fact that grease paint has
not yet been applied to hands and face. None of the
Enlisted men were issued side arms but Zoot Snyder and
several others had German P-38s acquired in Italy
combat.

Picture with the Guinea Pig

French Maritime Alps, 1944, Zoot Snyder on his way to
Nice holding a Guinea Pig. Note the “Nice-l’Escarene”
traffic sign in the background. Shortly after the
picture was taken, Zoot gave the Guinea Pig to a local
civilian.

thanks for your help and support
im really glad you all had a great reunion!
best wishes from europe, Gilles

Carol Monkhouse

Hi Ben,
could you please put my new email add down so I can continue getting emails Thank You Carol Monkhouse southerncarol_60@yahoo.com

Phil McSpadden

Hi Ben...thanks to everyone that had a hand in making our Reunion a great success at every level.

Ben,  many people asked for the address where they could obtain a WWII jump suit like the one I wore at the Banquet.  I had put this in once before, but here goes again:

e-mail John Meis at:
johnrmwahoo@yahoo.com.

Price is $125  complete, including shipping.

Corcoran boots can be obtained by  calling uscav.com at  1-800-777-7172.  Prices will run from $120-$125, depending on shipping charges.

Thanks, Ben, for all of your efforts in keeping the 517 family in close contact with each other.

phil mc spadden
Gregory Negro

hello there,

i am looking for WW2 veterans who fought in south east of france, are you one of them???

regards

Gregory NEGRO
(33) 06-24-09-56-79
Guestbook Entry