From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2007 12:48 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1352 517TH PRCT- JULY 7, 2007
  70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Zoot Snyder, A Company
Boom Boom Alicki in Southern France
250 photos of Don Saunders and 596 PCEC
Paratrooper Training - Fort Benning 1943- from Ismael Ramos
300 photos of John Harte and B Battery, 460 PFAB

Helen Beddow

Ben and Claire,

What a great reunion in DC!!  You did a fantastic job, and I know that everyone had to enjoy it.  It was wonderful to see so many young people there, and all of the interest that was shown.  You could feel the energy in the Hospitality Room and that was great.  It was so wonderful to see the children of the families pitching in and helping out so much in any way that they could.  It was so nice to have the different people step up and keep the food going in the Hospitality Room and to have different people sitting at the table to keep things going smooth.  What a great help that was to all of us!  Claire, I know that your dad and Leo were great helpers for you, and it is always so much fun to be around those two guys.  It was great working again with Donna and I am so glad that she and her mother could come to DC.

It was so good to see families at the Auxiliary breakfast. We can now see that the Auxiliary is not just for women, but for men, women, families and friends.  Again, I want to thank Chris for the wonderful presentation that he gave at the breakfast.  I also want to thank your son, Timmy, for helping me to get our boarding passes for our return flight to Savannah.  Computers can stop me in a heartbeat!!

As outgoing President of the Auxiliary, I feel that we have a fantastic group as our Officers and Board of Directors.  There is so much talent available, and I am looking forward to seeing great things happening in the next couple of years.  I am proud to be on the Board of Directors and to be able to work with such a great group of people.

Hal and I started coming to reunions in 1999, and at that time didn't get to meet very many people.  We missed Bismark but attended the Oklahoma City Reunion and got to meet more people.  Now it seems as if we have known people for quite a long time, and really look forward to seeing them again at the Mini in Florida or the next reunion.  Speaking for myself, I feel it is an honor and a privilege to know these men of the 517th and their wives and families.  These are men that have made history, and that is a privilege that not everyone can have.  God bless each and every one of the 517th

Mike Kane

Hi Ben.

I forgot to tell you that Frederic Brega, one of the 517th's friends in Nice, France, was recently in New York City and my wife and I met him for lunch.  We had a great time and he wanted to send everyone his best wishes.

Mike Kane.
Alysa Burkman

http://www.malaurie.com/frenchamericanfriendship/index1.php?id=81

Ben,
This website is a must-see.  It is a "thank you" from the French will never Forget organization.
Betty and Myrle Traver

Hi Ben,  What a glorious reunion!  It will be remembered for many years to come.  We had a wonderful time and Myrle thoroughly enjoyed talking to the jump team in the hospitality room.  Myrle was honored that he was asked to pin one of the boys.  Claire did a magnificent job and we want to thank her again and you for Washington D.C.  All of the tours were great and we took many pictures at the WWII monument and at the hotel.  Thanks again.  Betty and Myrle Traver  F Co.

Mary Jane Hanron

Dear Ben,

It is so much fun to read everyone’s thoughts about the reunion!  You must be thrilled!  I know you don’t like me to say these things….but I think you have quite a few fans!!!!  Seriously, I am so happy that the 517th received so many honors and had such special treatment during the reunion. It is a healthy and encouraging sign for America’s future that the service given by men like you and your fellow soldiers is appreciated and recognized by others.

Oscar Knerr

Hi Ben,

I'm getting the Mail Call just fine.  Keep it comming.  Wish I could have made the Reunion but Im afraid my gallivanting days are over.  Oscar Knerr  ( formerly Reg Hq S2 Sec)

From the Baylor School (TN) alumni newsletter:

Hu McClung Webb ’41 died October 20, 2006 at 82.  He attended the University of Tennessee and was a member of Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity and the Elks Club. He served in World War II with the 517th Parachute Combat Team and was awarded the Silver Star, European African Eastern Service, and the Bronze Arrowhead.  He joined the U.S. Merchant Marines and served as Second Mate of Ocean Steam and Motor Vessels until he retired in 1993.  He is survived by his sister and brother-in-law, a niece and her husband, a nephew and his wife, a cousin, and several great nieces and nephews.

Mary Jane Hanron

COMMENTARY: Celebrating the lyrics of liberty

GateHouse News Service

In years gone by a Fourth of July that fell midweek would have been bemoaned by many. As one of the few holidays still celebrated on the actual date and not moved to a Monday to create a long weekend, occurring on a Wednesday was the least desirable day for many to celebrate America’s birthday. Of course, it is a birthday party after all, so this outlook could be partially understandable.

One result from today’s more leisurely and less structured attitudes about work ethics and values is that a Wednesday Independence Day expands into a week of celebrations. This allows most to enjoy a prolonged holiday, including two weekends filled with countless opportunities to partake in patriotic events, historic traditions and celebrations of pride, honor and gratitude for all things American.

As in all commemorations, wouldn’t it be wonderful if that which we celebrate together could be thought provoking, meaningful and remain close to our hearts and minds throughout the year? Instead, patriotism itself has become a method by which those who disagree manipulate dialogue, question motives and appear to have forgotten the meaning of what it is to be American, “One nation, under God indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

Examining our own motives as we observe our independence and our manner of celebrating is a way to evaluate how far we have strayed from what we might have learned as children and what we are teaching our own children. A provocative yet moving way to do this is by pondering the patriotic sing-a-longs in which we will participate during the course of the week. Since it is a mid week holiday, in all likelihood, most of us will attend or watch more than one as so many occur during weekend events, and of course, on the Fourth, itself. We all know the words to the songs; most sing them with great fervor and enthusiasm while waving American flags high in the breeze. But when was the last time we thought about the lyrics and what we really were singing?

The words to our best-known national songs are some of the most beautiful language ever written. They tell the story of the struggles, tears and triumphs of America. They tell of the unending devotion of the patriots who have died so that we could continue to live in this land of the free. They tell of the progression of this republic from vision and dreams to conflict and resistance to sorrow and determination to victory and righteousness. The circumstances have changed since the birth of the nation, but the process and the values have not.

In many cases, the words of lesser-known verses of songs are incredibly poignant and appropriate still today though written more than a century ago. Samuel Smith, author of “America” wrote of the “land of the noble free,” and implored, “Let mortal tongues awake, let all that breathe partake, let rocks their silence break, the sound prolong.”

Could there be a more passionate call for an end to apathy and a renewal of appreciation for the integrity of this country despite its flaws?

Katherine Lee Bates’ “America the Beautiful” describes the splendor of our nation “from sea to shining sea,” in the first verse of her well-known song. The sacrifice of those who died for America is tenderly told in the second verse with the lyrics, “For heroes proved in liberating strife who more than self their country loved and mercy more life.”

She concludes with an ethereal description of a triumphant and noble country built upon the vision of those who love this nation, “For patriot’s dream that sees beyond the years thine alabaster cities gleam undimmed by human tears.” These melodious words of strength and belief are timeless and inspirational.

As America celebrates her 231st birthday, may citizens be motivated to ponder their own words and actions about this country and those who govern it throughout the year. Despite its imperfections, it is still the greatest nation on earth. There are elements of evil that will stop at nothing to see it destroyed.

While singing the patriotic medley this year, consider the depth of meaning and passion behind the language. This nation is no stranger to adversity. It also is very familiar with going to the aid of anyone who needs it anywhere in the world. It is a good nation. It is a great nation. May it be always “The land of the free and the home of the brave.”

Mary Jane Hanron is a freelance writer living in Hingham.MA.