From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, July 08, 2007 11:38 AM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1353 517TH PRCT--JULY 7, 2007
 70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

We have in this Mail Call the introduction of the Vice President's speech and in a future Mail Call we will have the Vice President's speech.  If you have a video of the speech or a video  of  the reunion please let us know. Send Photos and mail.

Zoot Snyder, A Company
Boom Boom Alicki in Southern France
250 photos of Don Saunders and 596 PCEC
Paratrooper Training - Fort Benning 1943- from Ismael Ramos
300 photos of John Harte and B Battery, 460 PFA

Claire Giblin

Hi, Ben -

We are happy that reunion reports are continuing to come in!  Please, if you came and had a good time, share a line or two with us in Mail Call!

I wanted to hit some of the highlights in this Mail Call:

Finally, as a reunion co-chair, I want to say that I am hoping our next reunion co-chairs will also be from the ranks of the Sons and Daughters-Family & Friends-517 Auxiliary.  It's really a rewarding and fulfilling volunteer opportunity.

Stay tuned for more reunion reports!

Claire Giblin

The great  success of the reunion was due to Claire's diligence. I was the inspiration and Claire was the perspiration. -  Ben

Darrell Egner

 Wow, what a wonderful Reunion!  And to think that our little Combat Team received the honor of having the Vice-President of the USA speak at our Banquet.  After Dick Cheney finished his graphic speech of the 517 and detailed our achievements I was in awe.  That was the first time in my live I felt like a hero only because I was a part of the 517 from start to finish.

Patrick O'Donnell the Keynote speaker did a great job and of course our General Dick Seitz really capped it off as usual.  The most remarkable thing is I did not observe any one leave the Banquet room the whole evening.  The only thing I didn't enjoy was being called to say a few word following Claire's speech.  How do you top Claire, also know as Fire.

There is no way I can thank the many people that worked tirelessly to make this one of the very best Reunions ever.  Just to name a few Ben and Claire the co-chairs worked 24/7 to solve the many last minute details that are bound to come up.  Donna Hilliard, Helen Beddow, Leila Webb, Leo Dean, Barrett girls and the Frice girls did a great job.  Little Molly Dey from the Armed Forces was every where you looked.  And how about the eight young men that did the Demonstration jump?  It was my privilege to talk to each of them.  After spending a great deal of time talking to them I discovered that with men like that our country is in good shape.  Please forgive me for not mentioning the dozens of others that helped, it would fill a page.

Gosh I almost forgot!  Thanks Troopers for electing me your new President and bring your friends and families to the Reunion.  The last count I had was over 280 people were there.  I would also like to thank the Past President, Gene Frice for heading up the Portland Reunion last year.  Great job!

On a personal note I was so happy to see Irene Lewis, widow of Bill Lewis our long time Secretary.  There is no doubt in my mind that he was a big part of keeping us together.  Then our 517 lucked out and Ben and Bob Barrett stepped forward and made it even better.  And the editor of the Thunderbolt, Bob Christie does a super job keeping us informed.  Thank you!

Many people have asked me what my agenda will be as President.  It's very simple.  I will work with the Auxiliary through Claire Giblin so that long after most of us are gone the 517 will always exist for our Children and Grand Children.  I will also work with the Officers and Board members to determine where we will meet for our National Reunion in 2008.  It will be some where in the Midwest.

Our hard working girls Donna Hilliard and Leila Webb are already working on the Florida Mini which will take place January 20,21,22, 2008 in our usual place in Orlando.  I'm sure Bill Christian will hold his West Coast Mini in April as usual.  Bill please keep me posted, I plan to attend.

This is getting to be a book instead of a letter so I better close.  It is my privilege to serve 1500 (guess) of you and more coming on every day.  If any of you have any suggestions on how to improve the 517 Parachute Regimental Combat Team my door is always open.

Darrell Egner
President
Frank Ramos

Introduction of the Vice-President of the United States to the 517th Parachute Combat Regiment Team and Guests at the Re-union Dinner July 1, 2007 by Frank Ramos.

Mr. Vice President: I would like to welcome you in behalf of the distinguished 517th Parachute Combat Regiment Team:

Sir: These Paratroopers fought with great Valor and Courage in the European battlefields of Sicily, Italy, France, and in Belgium, at the historic Battle of the Bulge and, finally, in Germany, with a great loss of life suffered by their fellow Paratroopers in those battles. All of these men of the 517th have earned a place in the history of our great Nation through their sacrifice and bravery.

Mr. Vice President, I wish to thank you and the President for privilege to serve during this Administration at the Office of the Secretary of Defense. My service provided an opportunity and privilege to be associated with the gallant 517th Parachute Combat Regiment Team to help memorialize their legacy for our grandchildren.

Your presence tonight has helped achieve our goal. Thank you.

Ladies and Gentlemen – Please rise.

It is my high honor, in behalf of the 517th Parachute Combat Regiment Team to introduce The Vice President of the United States. Mr. Vice-President