From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 7:50 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1358 517TH PRCT--JULY 11, 2007

70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Reunion photos from Lory Curtis ,Steve Markle and Bob Barrett http://www.517prct.org/reunions/2007_reunion_dc/2007_dc_reunion_photos.htm. They can also be found on the website
 We will have information about Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL Jan 20-22, 2008 in later Mail Calls.

596th PCEC portraits
Colonel Bill Boyle in Southern France
517th Regimental S-2 Section in France 1944
Bill Boyle news article
Zoot Snyder, A Company
Boom Boom Alicki in Southern France
250 photos of Don Saunders and 596 PCEC

Claire Giblin

Hi, Ben -

Just a few random thoughts keep popping into my head in these post-reunion days:

Paratroopers' Odyssey is generally considered to be the textbook of the 517.  It is available in paper for $22.50 at reunions, or a bit more (to cover postage) between reunions.  Donna Hilliard has some, and I have many more.  Let us know if you need a copy.

Have a great day, everyone.

Claire Giblin

Claire Giblin

Hi, Ben -

Since the reunion, there has been a lot of interest generated in the Family and Friends of the 517 - the 517 Auxiliary!

The Auxiliary is NOT an old-fashioned Ladies Auxiliary!  Auxiliary is a legal term, and Howard Hensleigh has advised us that it's what we are, legally.  Having said that, we're going to start using a Friends and Family designation, because we want all the men folk to feel right at home!  Wives, widows, sons, sons-in-law, grandchildren, daughters and friends - this is your Auxiliary!  Nieces, nephews....you all get the idea.

Membership in the Auxiliary is $20 per year or whatever your personal situation can manage; no one with ties to the 517 will be turned away.  Auxiliary membership does NOT include the Thunderbolt, and here's why:

Some households were getting the Thunderbolt when they didn't want it.  Some were getting two copies unnecessarily.  The Thunderbolt is expensive, and we don't want to be using printing and postage unless we have to.

If Auxiliary members want to receive the Thunderbolt, please send a check for $10 to Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.

One of the Auxiliary's stated goals is to provide reunion assistance to veterans.  Personally, I am hoping that an Auxiliary member will chair or co-chair our next national reunion.  It is truly rewarding!

Come join your Family & Friends - 517 Auxiliary and help us put on the next national reunion in summer 2008!

Claire Giblin

President, 517 Auxiliary

Darrell Egner

 Troopers

To honor our combat jump in France we have set August 15, 2007 as the date for us to donate $30 to the 517 PRCT.  This will also cover your subscription to the Thunderbolt.  Needless to say if this causes a hardship for anyone please pay what ever you can afford.

Checks should be made out to 517 PRCT and mailed to Leo Dean at the below address.

Leo Dean
14 Stonehenge Lane
Albany, NY  12203

We are waiting for the results of a survey I sent to the Board of Directors to select a City for our 2008 Reunion.  It will be hard to top Washington but we will try our best.

Mark your calendars for January 20-23,2008 for the Florida Mimi.  Hope to see you there!

Darrell Egner

John Hopkins
Ben,
This is John L. Hopkins.   My father, John S. Hopkins, was with the 517th in 1944.    We're not sure of the exact dates.     There was a picture of him posted in one of the hospitality suites during the reunion.   I understand General Seitz thought he might recognize my father.    I wonder if you would forward this (or my email address) to General Seitz.    If my recollections of my father's war experiences are accurate, a Major Seitz was one of his commanders.   I would surely like to pick General Seitz's brain and see if he is that person.
Many thanks.
John L.

Fred Beyer

 Steve Markle

Now on the website    596th PCEC portraits

596th Parachute Combat Engineer Company

596th at work on demolitions at Nice airport fortifications

click on pictures below to enlarge

Alan Ward

Bernard F. Barnes

Col. Robert Darlrymple