From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2007 7:54 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1361 517TH PRCTR- JULY 14, 2007

70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

We will have information about Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL Jan 20-22, 2008 in later Mail Calls.

1st Lt. Floyd A. Stott, I Company (KIA)
Robert Magnuson and friends, H Company
1983 517th Reunion Booklet - San Mateo, CA

1993 517th Reunion Booklet - Niagara Falls, NY

1991 517th Reunion Booklet - Sparks, NV
596th PCEC portraits
Colonel Bill Boyle in Southern France
517th Regimental S-2 Section in France 1944
Bill Boyle news article

Darrell Egner

Ben

Andy Borowitz wrote a column in our News Paper and quoted Tony Snow (Press Secretary) as saying the $75,000 asking price was an appropriate price to pay to see VP Cheney.  The 517 must be very well thought of as we got him for free except for the security issues.  Sure makes me feel good.  I just wish the country would let Bush and Cheney finish the job they started.

Darrell Egner
Gene Frice

Ben,
     Spent the last two days with the good folks of Lemmon, SD. Such a
great group. I have always said the heart of America is not in Los
Angeles, San Francisco (God forbid), New York or other such
communities -- The "heart" rests in the central US-such as Lemmon, SD.
     The Lemmon community conducted their tribute to their home town
son LTC Gordon Lippman of the 517th (WWII,Korea, Viet Nam KIA)  The
community also held their centennial birthday of 100 years.
     They had invited me to visit as a 517 member in honor of LTC
Lippman. We also have a new supporter from the the 101st Airborne
(Viet Nam) who spoke on his research of the 517th. Mission
accomplished on July 12th. We have a new family of 517th supporters
with the entire community of Lemmon (pop 1400). They gave me a
wonderful reception. I could not travel in their three block community
without men, women and children stopping to express their thanks to
the 517th-much like Le Muy.
      Ben, you sure earned your "salary?" the last month or so. Busy
mail call. Again, thanks for all the hard work and excellent service
to the 517th.
     Currently in Billings, Montana in the long road to OR and CA. I
have found the new wireless service for computers in the hotels to be
an excellent means of communication. Considerable improvements has
been accomplished in this service in the last several months and all
over the country. It used to be similar to pulling teeth to use the
early wireless means-when and if it was available.
     We owe thanks to all the lovely ladies and gentlemen of the "aux"
for their hard work on the excellent reunion in DC.
     Hey Ben, in using the wireless while enroute-I am receiving the
text, however no pictures? It just may be the hotel's formatting.
     Gene Frice, F Co
Bob Hart

Ben, I receive and want to continue receiving mail calls. I look forward to seeing them every night. Was unable to get to the reunion due to other
commitments, from sounds of it,   I missed a good one.
Bob Hart  D CO.   517
Lou Darden
Ben, Please add my Daughter & Son to Mail call List. Jesse Darden
Kristie Wright: kristie@lonestardirect.com
Tom Darden: tdarden@noria.com
Thanks

Elaine

Ben and Bob,

My apologies for just realizing Ben's affiliation to H Company!   I am attaching a 2 more photos from Europe.   I sent to other to Bob last night along with the silly question if he was in contact with anyone from H Company.

There is a series of a jump over somewhat flat, open land - any chance that this was jump school?  Three of these attached - the guys are also shirtless, and in one case pantless....

Ben, do you know if my uncle Bob Magnuson ever attended a reunion?  The last I know of him was a postcard from Hawaii in the late 60s or early 70s.  After the War he spent some time up in Kodiak, then went back to work at a machine shop in Seattle while learning to fly floatplanes.  He flew out of Lake Union for awhile and then moved to San Diego (by 1957).

Thank you,
Elaine
Robert Magnuson and friends, H Company

Elaine

Hi Bob,

On Ancestry.com the list is under the New York Passenger LIsts, 1820-1957.   I got to it by searching for an exact match on Robert L Magnuson and opening the passenger lists.   You can also go to the database and search on Madawaska Victory as the ship, Le Havre as the port of departure and the year 1945.   There are over 3000 passengers and include at least "H Company" and "I Company".  I have Uncle Bob's Embarkation card from the trip back.

I noticed a link on your site to Ancestry for WWII records, but not sure if there are any issues with using their scans.  Let me know if you don't have a subscription to Ancestry and what you think we can legally do.  I don't mind downloading a boatload if it will make the information available to those connected with the 517th.  Those pages were submitted separately from the main passenger and crew list.

Since I have photos I assume are 517th but not identified - are you in contact with someone who may be able to identify them as 517th H Co before you post them?    There is an interesting group with good faces but that may need to be cropped down or brushed to eliminate a a clear name and DOD of a German soldier.  It would be interesting to know the location and the troopers names.  I was just checking to see if I could blur the dead man's name, but full photo is better if I can figure that out.  The first of this series that I saw was odd in that there is an upholstered chair at the bottom of a set of stairs and it looks very out of place.  But when you see the series of photos you see the building is to the left of the stairs.  I've cropped a couple down and attached.  The ones with the chair can't be cropped without cutting out the soldier's faces.

Thanks - Elaine

PS - you can show my maiden name Elaine Berger.  If someone associated with Uncle Bob sees that they might now the name, but wouldn't know my married name anyway.

Bob Barrett <r4b4@comcast.net> wrote:

Elaine,

 Thanks for the photo.  I just posted it at http://www.517prct.org/photos/robert_magnuson.htm

Hi Kenton,