From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 5:37 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1365 517TH PRCT-JULY 17, 2007
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

 At times you may have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.          Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL Jan 20-22, 2008 in later Mail Calls.

Recent website additions:

Chester A. Wells, H Company
1st Lt. Floyd A. Stott, I Company (KIA)
Robert Magnuson and friends, H Company
1983 517th Reunion Booklet - San Mateo, CA

1993 517th Reunion Booklet - Niagara Falls, NY

1991 517th Reunion Booklet - Sparks, NV
596th PCEC portraits
Colonel Bill Boyle in Southern France
517th Regimental S-2 Section in France 1944
Bill Boyle news article

517 PRCT Association  Officers

Dick Seitz

Boom Boom Alicki. John, I want to express the high regard and keen admiration that I and all troopers of your regiment, the 517th have for you and to tell you that you are in our thoughts.  I remember the important role you played in the birth of this great unit. It was at Toccoa you were   that the first officer the trooper met and was challenged physically and mentally for assignment to our great unit. Your running the mock tower and other instruction separated the quality trooper from the average and provided the 517th with the high caliber soldiers that we were so proud to serve with.  With all good wishes.  Airborne all the way!  Dick Seitz
Bob Barrett

There are some pictures of Ed Jordon and his clocks in some of the recent reunion pictures posted.  But don't forget Dog Jordon with the 517th mascot:http://517prct.org/photos/mascot.htm

517 Mascot at Fort Toccoa

left to right: Bill Elliot, Ian Cowan, ? standing, Ed "Dog" Jordon on the right.
(All from B Company)

The lion is center front.

Ann Valliere

Hi Ben,

It was nice to met you at the reunion. It was such a highlight of my Uncle Carroll Eckert's life. Wish we could have attended more of the events, but we were not sure if Uncle Carroll could handle it. We were so happy he got well enough to attend at all.

On the roster I don't see his name - do I have to do something special to get his name on the list. I would like to get it on there. Can you help me out here?

Also you introduced me to two individuals on the day of the jump that might be able to help me out with finding out more about my Uncle Carroll's time spent in the war. One person was from France and I can't remember the name of the other gentleman. Both were so nice and I would like to email them or they can email me at alvalliere@msn.com.

Again, thanks for the time we had with the folks at the 517th Reunion in D.C.
Anne Valliere

John M. Pastalenic

Hi Ben - Please change my email  address to:

jmpastalenic@infoblvd.net

Thanks so much for all you do, keeping us in touch - reading the mail -
bringing memories of a very special time of our lives.

John M. Pastalenic
517 C

Ray Hess

HI BEN: I would like to echo Gen Seitz's remarks about Ed Jordan. Ed was a true paratrooper. I didn't meet Ed until after the war was over and then Cloe  and Ed would visit my wife and I and we were to visit them at their Hatfield ,Pa. home. Cloe, we who knew Ed, will miss him ,send we express our condolences to Cloe          Ray and Polly Hess "F" CO.
Ben

To Dick Seitz

Why not your other admires know  via Mail Call?

Ben

 Dick Seitz

Ben, you have the Log Base story and do with it what you want.  I think you know that I don't like to brag ---------unless it is something concerning our great 517th.  With all good wishes that the remaining summer fulfills all the hopes you and your family have it.  Dick Seitz

Ben, the story on Log Base Seitz, for your info, not Mail Call  In late 2004 a logistical unit at Fort Riley began preparation for deployment to Iraq.  The unit commander asked me if I would assist in their preparation by conducting training for the unit in such subjects as leadership, security etc.  This I did over the course of their deployment training.  When the unit arrived in Iraq it was charged with the mission of establishing and operating a large supply and logistical base in the area of the Baghdad International Airport.  After establishing the base the unit decided to name the base Log Base Seitz based on our relationship during their preparation for deployment.  I still remain in contact with the men who make up the unit.  Ben, there you have the story.  With continuing great respect and admiration.  Airborne all the way!  Dick Seitz

Lory Curtis

Ben,
    Just got of the phone with Myrle Traver from "F" Company.  At the
reunion he was telling me about how he and others were captured by the
Germans.  He said his story is on the 517th Website, but I cannot find
it.  Can you help. After hearing Myrle describe what happened to him I
think it would be a story everyone on mailcall would like to read.

Thanks
Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st Bn
 It is on the web site under

Parachute Training
and
World War II Documents

Written Histories
 - The Schmidt Bergstein Attack - Jan-Feb 1945 by Myrle Travers, F Co. -Ben