From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:00 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1367 517TH PRCT -JULY 18, 2007
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I try to limit the size of Mail Call to four printed pages for various reasons.

 At times you may have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.          Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Snowbird mini-reunion
Kissimmee, FL Jan 20-22, 2008 Details in later Mail Calls.

Recent website additions:

Chester A. Wells, H Company
1st Lt. Floyd A. Stott, I Company (KIA)
Robert Magnuson and friends, H Company
1983 517th Reunion Booklet - San Mateo, CA

1993 517th Reunion Booklet - Niagara Falls, NY

1991 517th Reunion Booklet - Sparks, NV

517 PRCT Association  Officers

517th PRCT Auxiliary Mission Statement
517th PRCT Auxiliary Member Application 2007-2008
517th PRCT Auxiliary Officers and Committee Members 2007-2009

KATHY McIntosh

BEN,

FIRST LET ME SAY THAT DAD AND I ARE THINKING OF BOOM BOOM EVERY MOMENT.  HE WAS SUCH A HUGE INFLUENCE ON MY FATHER AND WAS SUCH A GREAT LEADER TO HIS GUYS.  LIKE I HAVE SAID BEFORE, I GREW UP THE LAST 40 YRS HEARING OF BOOM BOOM.  I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT WAS SUCH A STRANGE NAME UNTIL I WAS OLD ENOUGH TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE DEMOLITION UNIT WAS ALL ABOUT.  IT WAS SO VERY HARD TO CALL MY FATHER IN UTAH TO TELL HIM OF BOOM BOOM'S PROGNOSIS.  MY FATHER, WHO NEVER CRIES, CRIED.  I WAS HEART BROKEN.  MAY GOD BE WITH BOOM BOOM WHEN HE CROSSES THE BRIDGE.  GOD BLESS HIM.

AND SECONDLY, REGARDING MYRLE TRAVER'S STORY.  IT WAS VERY INTERESTING.  IMAGINE MY SURPRISE WHEN I WAS AT WORK ONE DAY AND LOOKED UP FROM THE DESK AND I WAS WATCHING ONE OF MY PATIENT'S HUSBAND.  HIS HAT CAUGHT MY EYE, FOR IT LOOKED LIKE MY DAD'S.  AS MYRLE TURNED AROUND I SAW THE 517TH LOGO.  OH MY GOD DID WE HAVE SUCH A TALK.  I TALK TO ALL THE VETS EVERYDAY, BUT TO ACTUALLY RUN INTO A MEMBER OF THE 517TH.  WHAT A TREAT.....

KATHY MC INTOSH
JESSE K DAVIS

Helen Beddow

Good morning, Ben,

Since my work schedule has slowed down for the summer, I have had more time to get online.  I have been clicking on to the links of the different photos, and I am amazed at the history that we are seeing.  I am enjoying looking at the Reunion booklets and what fun it is to see our guys when they were younger.  You and your son do so much for the 517th, and I know that everyone is appreciative of it, but you certainly need to be told time and time again, that you are the glue holding this together.  It is so wonderful to see more and more relatives and friends getting involved with the history of their families.

I enjoyed the photo of the lion mascot, but now my question is what is the story behind that photo?

I was sorry to hear of the death of Ed "Dog" Jordan.  Hal and I first met him at the Ft. Benning reunion.  I was one of the fortunate ones to get one of his clocks at a raffle at the FL Mini.  I bought a lot of raffle tickets because he had a clock there that I really, really wanted.  It now sits proudly on Hal's computer desk.

Now a message for Claire.....where was I when the cookies brought by Tom Copsey appeared in the Hospitality Room?  I think that recipe should be on Mail Call, so Tom, if you are reading this......send in the recipe!
                                               ***********
Request granted -- See next email-Ben
Tom Copsey

Hi Claire,

Thanks for the "cookie testament".  Mom (Vera Grill Copsey, spouse of John F. Copsey, Company I) made these cookies in her best PA Dutch tradition but actually the recipe is directly from Nestle's semi-sweet morsel package:  (Vera was a Navy WAVE during the war and I had the good fortune to attend the rededication of her home town's (Bally PA) WWII memorial on Memorial day 2006.  Her name was the only lady's engraved on the memorial along with 38 of the Bally boys that served)

Here's the recipe:
2 1/4 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter softened, 3/4 cup white sugar, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 large eggs.

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in small bowl.  In large bowl (or mixer) beat butter, sugars, vanilla extract until creamy, add eggs and blend.  Gradually beat in flower mixture.  Stir in chocolate morsels (and nuts if desired).  Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes, or until golden brown.

I really enjoyed the reunion in Pop's (John) "small home town" as he called it.  Thanks to all who made it such a success.  This was my second reunion and the feeling is joy, awe, and inspiration being with the heroes of the 517th, 596th, and 490th and their wonderful families.

Cheers
T. Copsey
Lance Anderson

Ben

 Yes I do.  I tried emailing them to you in an email version but it was still too large to send that way.  If you could email me your address I will send it to you on a cd.  I was able to get excellent footage of the entire speech of the VP.

 I will send the fellow in the Netherlands a copy of the dvd if it is all right with you for me to contact him to get his mailing address.

 It was wonderful meeting you and putting a face with all the great work that you do.

 Lance

Jean-Loup Gassend.

Dear Ben and other 517th veterans

Please, could Mr Hensleigh, Mr McMorrow, and men from E company look at this very carefully? My name is Jean-Loup Gassend, and I am currently writing an oral history book about the war in southern France.
While looking at an old document about the 517th, I
found a picture, that I would be very interested to
know more about. I have attached the document, and a
close up of the picture. It shows a German soldier
killed beside his motorcycle. Does anyone know where
this picture was taken, or what the situation was
(particularly men from E company)? Also, does anyone
have a clearer version of this picture? Maybe in a
book about the 517th, as this picture is extremely
small and unclear.
I believe I know where this picture was taken, but
would like confirmation from any vet who may remember,
and I would particularly like to get a better quality
version of this photo.

Thanks a lot

Jean-Loup Gassend

This is still Jean-Loup Gassend.
I forgot to add that I am always looking to contact
517th vets who can tell me about their time in
southern France. I can interview them over the phone,
and use the stories for my book. I am also looking for
interesting photos or documents concerning southern
France.
I can be contacted at jean-loup@gassend.com
or at this number: (0033)4-93-20-22-91

Teri Marrone  ( Liberty Jump Team )

Hi Ben and the 517th!  I hope you remember me.  I would like to join your mail call.  I had a wonderful time at the reunion and I can't get your guys out of my head.  Take care!

terieleven@hotmail.com
 Teri Marrone

 Jim Mortensen

Hi Ben